Volkswagen Vento Highline in My Garage

Thread Starter #1
NEW CAR IN GARAGE

TEASER

DSC02208.JPG

This is my first attempt at writing a thread, so apologize me for mistakes and errors.I will put my best efforts in this ownership thread.The thoughts and opinions are thoroughly based on personal experience and may differ person to person.

So it’s time to grab popcorn and cold drinks and let the story unfold.

MY OTHER CARS WHICH MY FAMILY OWNED/HAVE:
1. Maruti Suzuki 800 Std- Non AC(1996-2005)
2. Tata Indigo LS TDI(2005)

MARUTI 800

800 came to us when I was just a year old. It had 5000kms on the odo as my dad got it from our family member. White in colour and 8 months old, and almost brand new. 800 has taken us across 85000kms in its 9 years of service. It took us across Jammu, Mhow(MP), Wellington, Kerala, Nashik, Assam, Nagaland, interior parts of Uttarakhand with almost no roads, Nepal border and finally ended her beautiful journey in Yol(HP).

Now you may be wondering, almost saw entire country but how come? My dad is in IND ARMY(INFANTRY). We move on from one place to another in period of 2-3 years. I spent my childhood in 800 covering 10-12 hours of journey in high altitude Himalayas with carrier attached to roof with suitcases and bags inside. We did not face any major issues apart from tyre punctures, coolant leak.
Sold off the 800 to a MES engineer for 45000Rs, though we were looking for 50k. Now it was time to upgrade to sedan class.

TATA INDIGO

2007.JPG

Our search for a new car started in 2003 when my dad got posted to DHARCHULA(Nepal border).
It was late 2002(December). My dad was posted at DINJAN(Assam). I was studying in 2nd standard and came back from school. My dad brought autocar magazine for me from office and then i saw the photos of INDIGO. Lime Green shade LX model, I loved it, so did my dad. It was just launched as far as I remember in December end of 2002. She was all over the news channel, magazine reviews, bill board advertisements. We went for some shopping to dibrugarh(60kms and only place for shopping) and while returning back, a brand new silver indigo with black tint windows zoomed past us and dad got so excited to have a look that he tried to keep 800’s pace with it. Dad clearly decided that this is surely our next car.
Then came the news, my dad got confirmation about posting to Dharchula. Packed up, truck loaded with household stuff, 800 and boarded Rajdhani Express from Tinsukia for our grandpa’s home in Chandigarh.

My dad called unit offrs in dharchula and asked them about what to bring and what about the car. Mostly many of them had 800’s, Omni, 2-3 santros and zen. They clearly told us about not to buy any new car as the journey from Haldwani or Barielly is 10-12 hours consisting of high mountains coupled with causeways full of stones and water during rainy seasons, single lane roads with potholes.
And strictly told us not to buy diesel car. Disappointed with this, planned to upgrade our good’ol Maruti 800 and pampered her with Amazer XL Radials, engine tuning, suspension upgrade, denting painting, bulbs upgraded, pioneer cassette player with tweeters to keep us active and entertained during our long journeys.

Our Neighbour bought indigo diesel and we even got a ride in it and felt like a limousine but had to live with our 800. All set and started our journey from Chandigarh-Roorkee-Nainital-Dharchula.
We stayed there for 2years and during summer breaks with no ac, no boot had to struggle traveling in it, traveling all to Punjab. Thought of upgrading to Indica but decided to change our car during next posting.
Years passed by checked all the car in 4-7lakhs category from newly launched Getz, Ikon Flair, 1.6nxt, Corsa, Accent and Esteem, by then dad got posted to Dharamshala, yol (HP).

One final decision was to be made between Ikon Flair, Fusion and Indigo. People suggested to stay away from Ford due to its non-availability of parts, costs of Spare parts and our Army Postings which not allows us to take any fancy vehicle. So we decided to stick with Indigo and Planned to buy around Sept-Nov(2005).
It was a lovely morning in Jalandhar and while reading Tribune newspaper, saw an AD of Ikon Flair in Panther black colour with new styled bumpers, some facelift changes. What attracted me was the mean look of the nxt styled bumpers added to the flair model. Along with dad, went to the ford showroom and immediately considered it as a buy no matter what anybody says. My friends had ikon and even I wanted that.

Went to Bhagat Ford to book our ikon but to immediate next was the tata showroom with the newly launched BS3 TDI version with some upmarket gadgets offered on SX and some minor changes to the existing model. It was a really tough situation but we had to consider the Indigo.
REASONS: Diesel model at same price over the petrol ikon.
Tata Service station was just 25kms from Dharamshala whereas for Ford, one has to come to jalandhar(4hours).
Cost of service and spare parts and can be repaired by a roadside mechanic in case of any emergency.

PURCHASE TIME

Booked Indigo LS Tdi (Arctic Silver) from Metro Motors, Ambala through CSD. On-road price came to 4.75l INR inc registration, insurance, tax coupled with autocop remote lock, dealer fitted front xenos power windows, Sony Xplod Drive-S CD player with co-axial 350 watts 6 speakers( Still beats some pioneers and sonys of today).

Dad got posted to Manipur leaving behind us with Unit driver and Indigo.
She enjoyed her stay in Jalandhar and covered 40000kms in 3 years.
2008.JPG

35000kms
2010.JPG

It was time to move to Mhow (M.P) and gave her some love she needed. Pampered her with Germ kleen treatment, new window tints and exterior detailing.

Started from Amritsar and covered 1400 kms and she didn't disappoint us.

Jaipur mho1.jpg

mho.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Thread Starter #2
LET THE NEW CHAPTER BEGIN[drive]

VW STANCE
DSC02207.JPG

Seven years past by but we didn’t face any issues with the Indigo. I have been hearing people complaining about breakdowns, long term complaints with the engine but our trustworthy Indigo that so diesel didn’t let us down.

LIKINGS
A.C, Turbo boost after 2000rpm, Backseat comfort, Independent Suspension, Acceleration.

There were few niggles and rattles but THIS IS A TATA AFTERALL, for the price it was offered can’t be ignored.

It was time for an upgrade to next segment.

DO WE REALLY NEED A NEW CAR??[surprise]

2013 APRIL

I had my entrance test in Chandigarh on 20th april, so left Delhi on 18th and when we crossed Karnal, saw a VW showroom, my dad thought of taking a TD of Vento. So called Volkswagen Mohali and asked them to arrange a TD when we reach my grandfather's home. In evening, white vento tdi came and just by the looks of it, felt much upmarket. WOW was the word. It was a short TD but the experience of Volkswagen was simply mind blowing. NVH were little high compared to Verna but it was acceptable as while you are driving, you don’t notice such things.

I needed a car for my college and I was happy with Indigo but dad’s carpool had 320d, verna, fiesta and SX4. Somewhere Indigo was ageing and we felt of upgrading to next segment so made a decision and test drived many cars.

FLUIDIC VERNA

2. Refined diesel motor.
3. Impressive list of features.
4. A.S.S.
5. NVH levels are best in its segment.

DISLIKES:
1. Handling not on par- Feels of waviness.
2. Dead steering.
3. Didn’t feel like it has more than 120bhp under it’s hood- No throw back in seat.
4. Noticeable turbo-lag below 2000rpm.
5. Uncomfortable rear bench.
6. Claustrophobic feel inside.

FORD FIESTA

2. Precise steering input.
3. Agile cornering and handling.
4. PERSONAL FAVOURITE- DRIVER’S CAR.
5. Low NVH levels.
6. Excellent driver seat support.

DISLIKES:
1. Black interior- NOT TO FAMILY TASTE.
2. Uncomfortable rear seat- I WOULD BE SPENDING MORE TIME IN DRIVER’S SEAT.
3. FORD spare parts issues.
4. Bad quality plastics.

HONDA CITY

2. Revving engine and nice exhaust sound.
3. Light gearbox.
4. Feels connected with me.

DISLIKES:
1. Bad quality plastics.
2. Noisy gearbox.
3. Thin sheet metal.
4. High speed stability not great.
5. Plastic parts fade out soon.

VW VENTO

2. Premium quality interiors - GERMAN FEEL TO IT.
3. Turbo comes around 1500 rpm and brings a smile to my face.
4. Throwback in seat effect.
5. Backseat comfort.
6. High speed stability.
7. German Engineering.
8. Top-notch paint quality.
9. Premium understated design- No issues in MODS.

DISLIKES:
1. NVH levels.
2. Not so grippy Apollo accelere tyres.
3. Volkswagen A.S.S.
4. No rear view camera.

Now IMO Ford Fiesta is the best car in it’s segment followed by Fiat linea. But I need to keep my parents happy and we were looking for a family car, so finalized Vento TDI HIGHLINE.

Shortlisted three colours:

1. Terra Beige
2. White.
3. Black.

Final choice came to Terra Beige.

DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE: VIRAJ AUTOMOBILES- NOIDA (UP)

Car was booked through CSD and dealer was helpful in every way. Dad’s 5-6 friends purchased vento and jetta from the same dealer, so was showing great interest. SA even brought a TD Vento petrol to Dwarka from Noida. Got a quote of 1.2L for Indigo in Exchange bonus scheme but felt the price was low and thought of keeping it for now. Booked Vento Tdi on 9th june and received a call from SA on 21st june that car has reached its stockyard. After the PDI work done, picked up car on 23rd june but to my surprise, they were even hesitating giving floor mats. No accessories- sill plates, car perfume nothing. Finally got car cover, mud flaps, plastic floor mats and key chain which was on order but received after 8 months.

Sharp angles and front-end is the best part of this car.
DSC01785.JPG

Smell of plastics and that lovely interior[:)]
DSC01789.JPG

All prepped up
DSC01793.JPG

with SA
ME wearing a cap

DSC01800.JPG

DSC01803.JPG

CSD price- 8.68L
ON-ROAD- 9.30L
There is a price difference of more than 2lakhs through CSD.

CSD price- 8.68L
ON-ROAD- 9.30L
How is that a price difference of more than Rs. 2 lakhs? Or is that the ex-showroom price and not OTR? If it is OTR, how is it so cheap?!?!? I bought my car in December for Rs. 11.97 lakhs OTR Trivandrum!!!!

Congratulations on the car, BTW. How is it holding up now? Almost a year since you got her, right?

Congrats and welcome to Vento club.We too have a Vento Highline in same colour.But,it's a 2012 version bought as a preworshipped in feb 2013 when it was just 13000 Km.Now,she has done 32000 Km with us in 15 months.Now,Odo is nearing to 45000 Km and I have changed the tyres to Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60R15 2 weeks ago and done 1200 Km on it.

Thread Starter #11
How is that a price difference of more than Rs. 2 lakhs? Or is that the ex-showroom price and not OTR? If it is OTR, how is it so cheap?!?!? I bought my car in December for Rs. 11.97 lakhs OTR Trivandrum!!!!

Congratulations on the car, BTW. How is it holding up now? Almost a year since you got her, right?
price quoted here is CSD price. Got it from CSD. OTR came to Rs 9.30lakhs Noida. There is a huge difference b/w market price and Canteen price. Almost 3 lakhs price difference.

She will turn One next month, i.e 23rd June. No issues till now apart from door rubber squeaks.
Just returned from Chandigarh and got an average of 20.2kmpl. During Agra visit last month, got 18-19kmpl all thanks to avg speed of 130-150kmph on yamuna expressway.

Have you got the extended warranty?

Lovely review Maneet92. Your Vento looks pretty stunning in those pics. Rating this thread a well deserved 5 star, although I would love to see more pics of your VW. Good to see another Army brat on board here on TAI and even better hailing from Chandigarh itself. [;)] Keep it up mate and do keep this thread alive and running. Would surely keep an eye on the updates here regarding the vehicles performance and running costs.

Top Bottom