Volkswagen Polo GT TSi - My Lightning Mcqueen

Thread Starter #76
I think the extended warranty is about 15,000 including taxes if bought within the first year from the date of purchase of the car. If bought in the 2nd year I think it goes up by 3-4000. I'm in two minds regarding the extended warranty.

I think a complete steering swap would be great as it will give you steering mounted controls, flat bottom steering wheel in addition to the paddle shifters. Threads on steering swaps would give you alot of info as to what to look at while purchasing a steering wheel like with or without airbags etc.

I think the extended warranty is about 15,000 including taxes if bought within the first year from the date of purchase of the car. If bought in the 2nd year I think it goes up by 3-4000. I'm in two minds regarding the extended warranty.
If you sure that per month you not gonna be using the car for more than 200kms then I wouldn't really suggest it. Coz you would be giving the car for just two services in extended warranty for 2 year and that too due time limitation.

I think a complete steering swap would be great as it will give you steering mounted controls, flat bottom steering wheel in addition to the paddle shifters. Threads on steering swaps would give you alot of info as to what to look at while purchasing a steering wheel like with or without airbags etc.
Anyone here done the swap and keen on helping out? Team-bhp has info but without access to their membership it does get a little confusing when there's no one to consult.

It's a direct swap, i got it done from service centre itself. but they charged Rs. 2000 (I suppose) for this.
Cool. Could share details of your car and the steering you put in? The source of purchase and cost would be helpful too.

And how does it check and confirm which steering will or wont fit a particular car model and what features would be supported, which the new steering would have.

Cool. Could share details of your car and the steering you put in? The source of purchase and cost would be helpful too.

And how does it check and confirm which steering will or wont fit a particular car model and what features would be supported, which the new steering would have.
Mine is 2015 model with cruise control and cooled glove box. Make sure the steering does not have cruise control buttons. Mine is New GTI steering wheel with airbag. You can find photos of it in my ownership thread.
I bought is from GCP Tuning, cost you will find in my thread. Luckily i was not charged any custom duty but be prepared for it.

Like i said just confirm that cruise control buttons are not on steering wheel. All functions work out of box including paddle shifters. Just tell the seller you car manufacturing year he may be able to tell which steering will fit your car.

I am again telling you, just make sure cruise control buttons are not there on steering wheel and you are good to go.

Thread Starter #81
UPDATE:

Day before yesterday I was returning from Dehradun to Delhi and was stuck in a traffic jam for almost an hour. The traffic wasnt at standstill but stop and go. I decided to use the manual mode of the GB instead of D mode as in D mode the GB constanly shifted from 1>2>1. In the 2nd gear it slips the clutch instead of shifting down to D1. To avoid it I changed to manual mode and kept it at 1. Most of the time in the traffic I wasnt able to shift to N as the traffic was crawling.

After 45 mins or so of crawling in manual mode in 1st gear, i started to hear a faint screeching sound when the car picked from standstill to say 5kmph. The sound was there for a sec or so and with slight gain in speed in 1st gear itself it would go away. I changed from manual to D mode and the GB started its 1>2>1 shuffling but i didnt hear the screeching sound.

It seems the GB got overheated. Is it a multi clutch issue? Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I had similar screeching (metal parts rubbing) sound when changing gears in every gear. Up or down. In D mode. So they changed the clutch pack.

Now my car is back at service station. A truck rear-ended my car. [frustration]

Thread Starter #83
I had similar screeching (metal parts rubbing) sound when changing gears in every gear. Up or down. In D mode. So they changed the clutch pack.

Now my car is back at service station. A truck rear-ended my car. [frustration]
Sorry to hear about the accident. How bad is the damage?

How many kms had your car done when the screeching sound began? Did they replace it in warranty? As per the extended warranty(which I bought shortly after the sound came) the clutch comes under wear and tear part hence won't be covered under warranty.

Sorry to hear about the accident. How bad is the damage?

How many kms had your car done when the screeching sound began? Did they replace it in warranty? As per the extended warranty(which I bought shortly after the sound came) the clutch comes under wear and tear part hence won't be covered under warranty.
The issue started around 11000 kms. It had increased later on. Raised the complaint when i went for the 15000 kms service. They updated the software and sent it back.

The sound remained. As days passed the sound was louder and more common. The only issue was there was a sound when gears changed. And it dint come up during short drives. And there was no jerk or loss of power or anything else other than the sound. So i made a video and transferred it to the service technician. He forwarded the video to the company, who asked them to change the clutch pack.

The clutch pack arrived after a couple of months, my odo was reading about 22000 kms. And then they took one month for repair. Reason, no tools to change the clutch pack. [frustration]
But since then the car is running fine.

And as for the crash now. The boot has been smashed. The entire rear door, glass, boot floor and bumper and inner bumper panel are being replaced. Estimate is at 1.35.

Thread Starter #85
I purchased the extended warranty for another 2 years for INR15,400 approx as I was already almost a month and a half since i purchased my car. From what I could gather from different reviews and discussions, its always wise to have extended warranty for European cars, specially the ones with dsg [;)]

Other than that the car is running great. The screeching sound hasn't occurred again yet.

By the way the new radio that comes with polo and vento with android auto, carplay and mirror-link R340g, is also available on aliexpress. Although I'm not sure if I'd wanna switch the oem radio with that one from aliexpress as the oem radio is made by harman and I personally am quite satisfied with the sound.

I'd purchased extended on the date of purchase itself. Hence my warranty is covered till 2020.

BTW, my car is back. Invoiced at 86k. The paint job is excellent. I was shocked. Its so hard to even find the difference in old and new paint.

ALSO, now they want to change the steering rack. I dont know why.

Thread Starter #87
Good to know your car is back with a good paint job.I got the rear bumper repainted at a local paint shop and there is definitely difference is the factory paint job and aftermarket paint job.

Hope insurance covered most of the cost of repair.

Did they say any reason for change in the steering rack? Did you complain of any problem as such? I think steering rack is covered under warranty.

yes insurance covered 97% of the cost.

I had complained about the sound in suspension, loud metal sound, when you hit a pot hole.

Thread Starter #89
Update:

Took my car for 2nd annual service yesterday. In addition to the general service I had the following issues that I mentioned to the SA

1. Creaking noise in suspension while going over the speed breakers
2. Vibration while braking at speeds above 90kmph
3. krr sound only in D1 after being in stop and go traffic for 15-20 mins
4. more metallic crashing sound while closing the driver front door than a muted thump

Actions taken on the above issues by the workshop:

1. The engineer assigned told me that some bolts that hold the frame that has the radiator and the intercooler were loose hence the creaking sound. He tightened them and no sound now

2. Initially the SA said the the dics have to be changed. I told him this is weird as the car has run just a little below 13k kms. I told him to skim it but he said they dont do that. I told him the clean the brakes and took it for a test drive after that the vibration was gone 90% so i decided to live with that than to pay 5500rs for disc change specially since the car has run quite less

3. went for a test drive but couldnt replicate the sound. however when the car crawls from standstill there is some shuddering only in D1 which was there on the test drive as well. They said it most probably multi clutch issue and would have to open the GB to check and I would have to leave the car. Since the issue isnt as prominent nor interferring my usage I postponed it and told that I will bring it at a later stage when I can afford to leave the car for 4-5 days at the workshop

4. fixed with some lubrication on the rubber beading on the door

I skipped the wheel balancing and alignment as they were charging 1500 for it, skipped ac disinfectant and also skipped the change of spark plugs that is scheduled in the 2nd service as per vw maintenance schedule as the car was misfiring and technically they would need to be changed around 30k kms and not 13k kms. I will get it changed in the 3rd service. Got free wash as well as 20% discount on labour as part of their summer campaign. They also gave me an additive to put when filling up my tank next time. It is mandatory for tsi engines as per the vw service schedule. I got this when i bought the car as well as the first service. The workshop also gave back the used air and oil filter.
Post servicing the engine sounds less strained picks up speed in a more calmer tone.

The car is doing great for the past 2 years now. I am enjoying it more after 2 years than when i first got it. It has enough power to enjoy the highways. Besided the creaking sound I mentioned on bumps, there isnt any other sound in the suspension or the interiors since the past 2 years.

Attached are the service records for your reference:
SKMBT_C28418053113200_0001.jpg

SKMBT_C28418053113201_0001.jpg

SKMBT_C28418053113220_0001.jpg

Thread Starter #90
UPDATE:

Day before yesterday I was returning from Dehradun to Delhi and was stuck in a traffic jam for almost an hour. The traffic wasnt at standstill but stop and go. I decided to use the manual mode of the GB instead of D mode as in D mode the GB constanly shifted from 1>2>1. In the 2nd gear it slips the clutch instead of shifting down to D1. To avoid it I changed to manual mode and kept it at 1. Most of the time in the traffic I wasnt able to shift to N as the traffic was crawling.

After 45 mins or so of crawling in manual mode in 1st gear, i started to hear a faint screeching sound when the car picked from standstill to say 5kmph. The sound was there for a sec or so and with slight gain in speed in 1st gear itself it would go away. I changed from manual to D mode and the GB started its 1>2>1 shuffling but i didnt hear the screeching sound.

It seems the GB got overheated. Is it a multi clutch issue? Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
The above issue that I faced still persists and can be heard when the car does above kms drive. This has been confirmed as a multi clutch issue. I gaven the car at the service centre on the 24th of sept and its still there. The dealership and the SA have been quite helpful and are claiming the multi clutch replacement under warranty, i have extended warranty. VW initially gave excuses about it but the dealer pushed for a replacement under warranty and it seems VW will finally comply and change it under warranty. Hopefully i should get the car back early next week.

The first time this issue came up i got the extended warranty as i knew dsg issues without warranty are a disaster.

Top Bottom