Volkswagen Polo GT TSi - My Lightning Mcqueen

It costed me around 1700rs/ 25usd. the shipping was done through china post hence it took almost 2 months from the day i placed my order.

Once I connected the software to the car and explored it abit I realized that there are many things that can be done with it hence went ahead and did it.
Just ordered mine, 1480 bucks is all I have paid. The seller promised a delivery within a month, now let's see how it goes.

Thread Starter #62
Hi Guys

I had a question. So the vw India website states that polo has a semi independent trailing arm suspension setup at the rear. I checked my car and it seems like a regular torsion beam setup. Has vw put up wrong info or am I making some error in understanding here?

Hi Johnathan, fantastic review of your dsg experience and i could find almost all the not so serious niggles that are evident in my car too which makes me think these attributes are normal in the dq200

1- The gearshifts are smooth, both upshifts and downshifts. While downshifting under harder than normal braking, there is a slight jerk from D3>D2 but its the normal quick downshift jerk. It's not at all a concern atleast for me. I think that normal for a gearbox under quick downshifts.

the jerks are evident while coming to a halt suddently before a stop signal and i face this issue mostly while going through undulated and village roads in speeds <30

2- In D mode, when starting from standstill (traffic lights) there is a slight delay in movement of the car. It's around half a second or so slower to move than other cars. Enough for a two wheeler our auto walah to cut in. This behaviour according to me is the way dsg works as compared to say, a torque converter gearbox or a manual one for that matter. Again, not an issue for me. I drive sedately in the city.
[noticed this too mostly during start stop traffic after a 50kms + drive. I feel its the extra delay in brakes slowly freeing the car. Ive read about VW using digital brakes in polos instead of mechanical.ie brake pedal connected to a digital signal generator that connects to the master cylinder. So basically there is no connection between them [/B]

- Under sedate driving conditions D2 pull up till 1800 rpm. If I drive just a tad bit more spiratedly, the D2 upshifts at 2200 rpm. For sedate city driving I think 1800 rpm is slightly higher than what I would like. At times I manually upshift it to D3. When I got the car initially the upshift from D1>D2 was at nearly 1100 rpm and from D2>D3 at 1500 rpm approx. However this has changed maybe due to my driving style, which for most part is sedate unless when i need to do a quick overtake, then I depress the throttle a bit more. I guess the slight increase in higher rpm gear change may be because of these short bursts of acceleration.
the throttle is very sensitive while shifting to D2. Depress it too long, extra weight in car, undulated road ..anything can cause this.
Only to prevent this ,the VW engineers have tuned the ecu to stay in D2 instead of downshifting to D1 even while slowing for a hump.

- From D4>D5 there is sort of a click heard I think from the instrument cluster. This click also happens at times when I slot the gearbox in 'P' mode. The click doesn't sound anything out of the ordinary or alarming as such but I'd definitely like some inputs regarding the possible reason of this click.
i get this during D4 to D5 and also while pressing the lock on the gearknob.(easiest way to try it)
I think it has some connection with the ingition lock mechanism housed behind the steering. Only by turning the key the steering can be unlocked in cars and our cars might be having similar setup for unlocking the gearknob.It must be linked to the lock mechanism somehow(just an assumption)

I slot the car in 'N' when at traffic lights or at a stop more than 15 seconds.
this is by far the most adviced method but never slot into N while riding down an incline.

Initially i was also concerned about the dq200 issues but after their upgrade in transmission oil and mechatronic updates i feel a properly maintained Tsi is safe.
My car has clocked 17000kms in 1 year, crossed 170kmph once ,countless short drives in S mode,one emergency braking from 90kmph on a highway. I came across the same experiences you have mentioned and have no more issues to add in that list.The car is an absolute gem and the FE, Top speed , Safety and reliability are exactly as claimed byVW(recommending to keep the car in stock condn as VW engineers have tested it brilliantly to ensure its longetivity)
wishing u safe and happy miles ahead

Thread Starter #64
Did a small diy project to the car. Changed the ovrm mirrors to auto dimming ones.

IMAG0739.jpg
housing after taking out the original mirror

IMAG0741.jpg
used a prying tool. ordered the prying tool kit from aliexpress. quite useful indeed for various diy's.

IMAG0742.jpg
carefully pryed open the mirror

IMAG0738.jpg
back side of the stock mirror

IMAG0740.jpg
gently pushed the new mirror back into the housing so that it locked with the plastic locks provided in the housing to hold the mirror.

I havent tested the auto dimming feature yet as I did it during the day.

IMG-20170311-WA0010.jpeg
Also added cabin light with individual lights for driver and front passenger.

Next diy is to add a boot light. Have already procured the boot light from aliexpress. Will probably work on it over the weekend.
The car is doing great. Done a little over 6000 kms. No squeeks or rattles. My brother drives the elite i20 and whenever he drives the GT he loves the tight build quality, great nvh levels, brakes (surprised??) besides the power obviously.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #70
Got my 1 year servicing done for my car. Didnt get wheel alignment and balancing done and told the SA that only the things I permit should be done on the car. Following is the bill for reference:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ollkommen-polo-skmbt_c28417052910271_0001.jpg

Couple of things that were told to me by the SA that I found fishy:

1. When I purchased my car a year back the sales executive mentioned that vw has a certain additive that needs to be purchased and the bottle (75-100ml) emptied in the fuel tank while filling up fuel. He said it costed 1000rs for the bottle however i got him to give it to me for 850rs. Now at the time of servicing the SA said that an additive is required to be filled and put it the fuel tank as directed by vw as part of servicing. I had a feeling this is the same additive that was sold to me when I bought the car. I asked him to show the additive and it was the same one with the same quantity. The only difference was that it was for around 1400rs as per the SA. That made me realize that something is wrong as the additive bottle itself doesnt metion the mrp anywhere. I refused to purchase that additive. The SA began saying that warranty might get effected and blah blah and I told him to save it for someone else.

2. I asked the SA what is the approximate cost for the 2nd service and he said it would be 4000rs more than the first one as vw asks for the sparks plugs to be changed specifically for tsi engines. I dont think tsi has spark plugs, it works on direct injection for combustion and even if it did have spark plugs changing it in the 2nd year is obivously too soon. I realized he either didnt know or took me for a fool. I didnt get in this conversation with him, just told him that we will see when the time for second service comes.

Other than that Im happy with the service and the bill. Got complimentary dry cleaning done as well as part of some ongoing scheme.

Its been a year and the car is doing great, no complains yet. No rattles at all whatsoever. I am enjoying the ownership experience

Thread Starter #71
Got back from a 4 day road trip with my family in my polo. Delhi>pathankot>dalhousie>chandigarh>delhi. Total distance covered is approx 1500kms. The car did really well on straight highways to mountain roads to some mountain off roads. No issues with the car and the dsg whatsoever. Drove mostly on D mode which is enough for crusing at decent speeds and the occasional overtakes. The car feels well planted at 3 digit speeds as well. Although it does grab attention with other cars wanting to race. I do avoid and ignore such drivers however a couple of times (with clear roads) I did use the S mode just to remind them of the tsi engine with the dsg combo [;)]

Did a small diy project to the car. Changed the ovrm mirrors to auto dimming ones.

I havent tested the auto dimming feature yet as I did it during the day.
Hey Jonathan..thanks for sharing this. I was looking to do some mods to my GT TSI as well and this has been in my Ali Express wish list for a while. Could you share your views on how the quality and efficiency of these mirrors?

Also, I wanted to either install the paddle shifters (Ali Express) to my 2013 model or maybe change the entire steering, if thats the only option. Any insights on that? I have read all of gannu's DIY posts on Team-BHP but unfortunately I am not a member there so cant get things clarified. Any help here would be great.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #73
Hey Jonathan..thanks for sharing this. I was looking to do some mods to my GT TSI as well and this has been in my Ali Express wish list for a while. Could you share your views on how the quality and efficiency of these mirrors?

Also, I wanted to either install the paddle shifters (Ali Express) to my 2013 model or maybe change the entire steering, if thats the only option. Any insights on that? I have read all of gannu's DIY posts on Team-BHP but unfortunately I am not a member there so cant get things clarified. Any help here would be great.
Hi Harish

The ovrm mirrors are good and the auto dimming feature works well and is definitely helpful during night drives. The mirror is slightly smaller than the housing in my case but not a deal breaker for me. Following pic will give you an idea. I have marked the differnce in the size of the mirror with respect to the housing.

IMAG0896.jpg

With regards to the paddle shifters I'm not sure if just the paddle shifters can be installed to the stock steering wheel but dont take my word for it. In most cases I've seen a complete swap of the steering wheel.

On a different note how many kms has your car run and have there been niggles or issues as such in your ownership thus far? I am debating whether I need an extended warranty specially for the dsg gb or not as my running is really less, maybe 100-150 kms a month and the dsg is doing great thus far. Have done 8300 kms thus far.

Thread Starter #74
Got my car's detaling done a couple of weeks back. washing> decontamination(claying)>compounding>polishing>application of paint sealant (Jet Seal by chemical guys). My brother has an informal detailing business of sorts, he was the one doing it. He does everything on his own hence the quality of detailing is top notch. Took 2 days to complete the job and the car had to be kept covered for 24 hours after the application of the sealant for the polymers to bond with the paint.

IMG-20170716-WA0011.jpeg

IMAG0862.jpg

IMG-20170716-WA0013.jpg

He suggested to apply spray wax over paste wax on the sealant before taking the car out as the abrasives in paste wax have a chance of causing marks(minimum as they may be) the sealant to have a layer of protection for the sealant. Couldnt use the car for a little over a week till the wax arrived. I have used sonax spray wax for the same. It's easy to apply and has good water beading properties.

PS. The pics are without any filters [;)]

Last edited:
The ovrm mirrors are good and the auto dimming feature works well and is definitely helpful during night drives. The mirror is slightly smaller than the housing in my case but not a deal breaker for me. Following pic will give you an idea. I have marked the differnce in the size of the mirror with respect to the housing.
The size would be worth trading for the convenience of night driving. Appreciate the info though.

With regards to the paddle shifters I'm not sure if just the paddle shifters can be installed to the stock steering wheel but dont take my word for it. In most cases I've seen a complete swap of the steering wheel.
I wouldn't mind changing the steering wheel as well, coz that way I can a flat bottom with paddle shifters and two sided steering mounted controls. If the current modules support them.

On a different note how many kms has your car run and have there been niggles or issues as such in your ownership thus far? I am debating whether I need an extended warranty specially for the dsg gb or not as my running is really less, maybe 100-150 kms a month and the dsg is doing great thus far. Have done 8300 kms thus far.
I had actually purchased a pre-owned car, bought it in Nov 2016. It had just 15k kms then. Have about 21k kms now[;)] How much is the extended warranty for and its terms?

Top Bottom