Volkswagen Launches Iconic Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
VW’s iconic Beetle will be sold in India by the end of this year. The company will deploy the Beetle as a premium hatchback that rivals the Fiat 500. Though prices will only be announced during the launch, it is estimated to be around the 15 lakh mark.

VW is not expecting the Beetle to sell in large numbers. The company knows this vehicle is more of a brand building tool which should help the Polo, that debuts at the Auto Expo 2010, in its initial stages.

The VW Beetle was shown to the visitors at the Mumbai International Motor Show in January this year. The market study had begun at that point and so has the wait.

The Beetle is manufactured in Mexico and it will be brought into India as a CBU. With the 1.9-liter TDI engine and a 5-speed transmission, the Beetle makes a style statement than anything else for VW and its buyers.

Source: IAB

350Z Says -
I'm glad that the cutest product in VolksWagen range and one of my favourite car is finally going to make its Indian debut but unfortunately, As a being a CBU which means high pricing will keep enthusiasts like me away from it.
The car will give a direct competition to FIAT Cinquecentto, Whether VW will bring the latest model or the old one is still a suspense.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Iam glad to hear that VW Beetle is coming to India.This vehicle is worth for 15Lac.
Nope, Its not really worth 15lacs.
As I said above, Its just the heavy import duties which take the prices sky touching.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Beetle from VW is really nice move which will create waves for 500 :)

But somehow should have been priced lesser or around 11lakhs which will attract more buyers in the segment!

The shock is that manufacturers hardly keep any profit margin from CBUs because of the high import duties. Hence trying to keep profit margins on top of that would lead to astronomical prices, which no one will be able to afford.

Beetle is a very cute car and has always been my favorite. I am eagerly waiting for this car, though I doubt whether Calcutta will have any takers for it.

Volkswagen's Beetle to hit Indian roads in December

Europe's largest carmaker Volkswagen will roll out the Beetle, fondly called the people's car after its maker, on Indian roads by beginning of next month.

A senior company official told media on the sidelines of the India Economic Summit that Volkswagen, which mean People's car, would import the car from its Mexican plant for sale in Indian markets.

He, however, declined to divulge the possible price of the car.

Beetle is one of the most successful models that the German carmaker has ever produced. The car bucked all trends and has made history, although critics had predicted a complete failure due to its peculiar styling, underpowered motor, rough ride and noisy engine.

Volkswagen, which currently sells luxury sedans Passat and Jetta in Indian market, is planning to launch its small car Polo by early next year.

The group has two facilities in India at Aurangabad and Chakan, which assembles cars of its three brands, Skoda, Audi and Volkswagen.

VW is looking at full-capacity production at this plant by 2012 and in order to strengthen its workforce, it is planning to more than double the India headcount with addition of 1,500 employees at Chakan alone in Maharashtra.

The group had earlier announced a target of 8-10 per cent share of the Indian passenger car market in the next 6 years. It will also consider integrating after-sales service of its three brands in India for better synergy.

It sold about 19,000 units of Skoda, Audi and Volkswagen brands last year in the over 1.5 million-unit Indian passenger vehicle market.

Source - EconomicTimes

This is freak stuff man!! Awesome.. some car I would love to own - the beetle. Thanks for sharing RSM.

Cheers,
Vroom

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
Beetle will be more a fashion statement rather than a daily purpose hatchback, Just like the Fiat 500. Beetle has been my all time favourite car. I've seen it and don't have words to describe this small wonder. Some of you might be aware that new beetle is out but the cuteness is missing from the new model which is much more agressive looking. My vote for beetle over the 500, It would have been a nice comparo if BMW had planned to introduce the MINI in India.

Drive Safe!
350Z

VW big advertisement in Times Of India Today

Times Of India (Bangalore Edition) has multiple page (10+) color advertisement from VW. I haven't seen such an mega adv. from any manufacturer.
The Touareg and Beetle were mentioned there, apart from Jetta and Passat.

This is the main page of TOI today

Same with the Mumbai edition!! I think 3 full page ads and loads and loads of half page ads. Covering Passat, Touareg and the Beetle.

Cheers,
Vroom

EDIT: Thanks RSM for taking time to scan and put up the front page here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom