Volkswagen Cross Polo TDi Review | Test Drive | Pictures

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team

The Polo has been a predominantly successful car model in Volkswagen India’s lineup and it’s not astonishing why the company does not hesitates to maintain a buzz about it in the market by keeping it up-to-date with the trend after nearly 3 years since launch. We’ve already seen the Polo SR and sizzling hot GT editions. So what’s the hoopla of Cross Polo all about? Unlike regular Polo, Cross Polo is blessed with more machoness to appease those buyers who desire to utilize convenience of a hatchback with a SUV’ish attitude. Well, not literally. Although Volkswagen claims to have introduced this version for people seeking an active lifestyle with a taste for adventure but make no mistake. This is not the car someone in his right mind would want to go off-roading with.

European avatar of the Cross Polo offers revised ground clearance as well as fatter rubber but when it comes to Indianised form of it, the story is rather different. Technically, there is no disparity in the specification sheet when compared with Highline Diesel. Nearly all major changes are apparent at a first glance on the exteriors itself. Straight from a single slit chrome accent front grill to a contrast black plastic cladding running across lower end of the entire hatchback.

Standing out evidently are silver toned bumpers coupled with circular foglamps on front (opposed to triangular sharp design) and a stripe of supplementary reflectors on each side of rear in an effort to give the overall car a rugged look. To complement the ‘Cross’ badge are roof rails that have increased Polo’s height by 21 MM over normal variants. Additionally, 10 spoke alloys are swapped with a set of bolder 5 spoke design. All-black interiors have new Livon Titanium upholstery but more or less remain the same.

Though Polo is naturally one of the better handling hatchbacks, 3 cylinders, 1.2 TDi engine (Producing 74 BHP and 180 NM Torque) isn’t something that would particularly delight the enthusiasts. It suffers from a significant turbo lag as well as lacks the refinement and outright punch when one needs it. The engine is annoyingly loud with a clear diesel clatter on all kinds of speeds but switching up the windows does help to an extent to filter out that unwanted noise. Until around 2000 RPM mark, accelerator pedal feels totally unresponsive but it’s only a while after which power begins to develop. Gearshifts are not as smooth as we expected them to be either. However, high speed cruising is what one could enjoy when driving a Polo with true-blue German characteristics that offers a strong stability and sheer sense of sturdiness.

Folks with a habit of upshifting early will require sometime to get accustomed with Polo’s tendency, especially in start stop traffic. And while we’re talking about traffic, I found the clutch pedal to be soft but a bit too over-raised for my preference, making long drives a tiring affair. Just like any other Polo, Cross Polo is fun to handle on curves but light steering wheel is what keeps away from providing enough confidence for sharp maneuvering. The ride quality, on the other hand, is quite impeccable and well-settled for Indian road conditions. Much to my surprise, the braking of Cross Polo felt far more impressive, exactly opposite to our experience with Volkswagen Polo GT TSi test car.

So that’s the Cross Polo for you. This move is much similar to what Volkswagen’s subsidiary brand, Skoda did by bringing Fabia Scout to India but ironically neither of them seems to have clicked in the market so far. With a hefty premium of Rs.60,000+ over regular Polo, does it make sense to put money on the Cross Polo? I doubt. You’re better off aesthetically customizing normal Polo for half of the amount that too according to your taste through aftermarket modifications, which are abundant for this particular car. Or better yet, now that the GT TDi is on sale in market out there, it sure makes for a very tempting package to plonk 25 grand extra for a ‘hot hatch’ that’s as much economical to run but is manufactured to offer more go than the show.

Note: This review is only focused on changes in Cross Polo over regular Polo since we've already extensively covered minutest details of the car in GT TSi review.

Please visit this link for more: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...volkswagen-polo-gt-tsi-test-drive-review.html.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Volkswagen Cross Polo: Likes, Dislikes, Specifications

40.jpg

You’ll Love: [thumbsup]
  • Timeless German design now gets a tinge of machoness.
  • Exceptional quality levels throughout the car. Be it exteriors or the interiors.
  • A sturdy and solid hatchback with delightful overall ride quality and handling.
  • Reasonable fuel efficiency figures. This one delivered us 18 Kmpl under mixed driving conditions.
  • Quite well-equipped in terms of features (Climate control, airbags, alloys, ABS, parking sensors etc).
You’ll Loathe: [thumbsdown]
  • Predictable expensive long term ownership costs.
  • The interiors lack adequate roominess. Best for four adults.
  • The 1.2 TDi engine is unexciting and suffers from significant turbo lag.
  • Almost 8 lakh rupee (that too Ex. showroom) is pricey for a hatchback.
  • Volkswagen India’s thin after sales and service back up is still a concern.
Volkswagen Cross Polo Price:
  • Highline TDI: Rs.7,75,000 (Ex.showroom, Delhi)
Volkswagen Cross Polo Specifications:

Engine:
  • Type: 3 cylinders inline
  • Displacement: 1199 CC,
  • Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
  • Maximum Power: 75 PS @ 4200 RPM
  • Maximum Torque: 180 NM @ 2000 RPM
  • Acceleration (0 - 100 Kmph): 14.4 seconds
  • Top Speed (Claimed): 164.1 Kmph
  • Mileage (ARAI Claimed): 22.07 Kmpl
Tyres & Wheels:
  • 15" Alloy Wheels
  • 185/60 R15 Tyres
Dimensions:
  • Length: 3987 MM
  • Width: 1698 MM
  • Height: 1474 MM
  • Wheelbase: 2456 MM
  • Turning Radius: 4.97 meter
  • Fuel Tank Capacity: 45 Liters
  • Ground Clearance: 168 MM
  • Front Suspension: McPherson strut with stabiliser bar
  • Rear Suspension: Semi-independent trailing arm
  • Steering: Electronic Power Steering
  • Front Brakes: Disc Brakes
  • Rear Brakes: Drum Brakes

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Volkswagen Cross Polo: Video Review

A video showing the excessive diesel clatter (with hood open and shut).

Here’s how the Polo sounds from inside when idle.

A high-speed NVH video. Wind noise and diesel clatter audible.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Volkswagen Cross Polo: Pictorial Review

Volkswagen Cross Polo Scenic Shots

Halogen headlamps surrounded black for sportiness.

The lower end is wrapped with black cladding across the car.

New single slit chrome accentuated grille looks better.

Thanks to cladding and roof rails, Cross Polo gives a perception of having better road presence.

Cross Polo runs on the stock 15” Apollo Aceleres. 10 spoke alloys swapped with a basic 5 spoke design.

Circular foglamps design takes place of the sharp triangular lamps.

Silver painted chin and claddings. The bumper is otherwise essentially the same.

The rear doors are the only place with “Cross Polo” name tag.

Outside rear view mirrors painted in silver contrast.

Their inverted design leaves a major blind spot.

The rear bumper receives stripes of additional reflectors. Notice the parking sensors too.

Cross Polo specific roof rails. You can easily mount a skirack or bicycle on it.

A neatly integrated rear spoiler.

Fuel cap clearly specifies “Diesel”. You don’t need to slap a sticker here to notify fuel pump attendants.

Under the hood – Noisy 1.2L TDi Engine.

Cross Polo doesn’t shows off its exhaust. It’s slipped underneath.

Towing hook is neatly covered too.

Unlike Petrol, Diesel version has complete black interiors.

Steering is a delight to hold and its light nature is a boon in cities. Not so on highways.

The seats are comfortable and have a great under thigh support.

No pockets on the seatback. The rear bench could be cramped for three and the transmission tunnel is raised too high.

A closer look of the Cross Polo specific new Livon Titanium upholstery fabric.

The otherwise soft clutch is mounted on a bit higher side making continuous long drives tiresome.

Polo’s manual gearshift has a different pattern. Push it down and slot to engage reverse. Beware of unintentionally pushing it while engaging gears during normal driving.

Did you know initial batch of Polos didn’t have this “Volkswagen” badge? They're now using it to create brand awareness.

© TheAutomotiveIndia.com. Any attempt to republish the text or pictures anyway without prior consent of our authorities is strictly forbidden.

Re: Volkswagen Cross Polo Test Drive Review

Thanks a lot for sharing this review 350Z. Though this Cross Polo is more of an aesthetic mod job done on the regular Polo, it surely seem to have a road presence of its own. Though in some ways it looks a bit tacky as I feel the regular Polo has one of the cleanest designs. But the single slit front grille is looking pretty good. It would have had more of an impact had VW increased the ground clearance for this particular variant and provided with fatter rubber. I am yet to come across a Cross Polo on road till date and I am afraid this one will end up like its sibling, Fabia Scout.

Being a Polo 1.2TDI owner myself, I agree with all the points you've highlighted about the engine. Its absolutely not for someone who changes gear in a hurry as the turbo-lag here is very evident and it takes its own sweet time to reach the power band. Though it needs a getting used to the motor, it sure can keep up pace with even the fast moving traffic.

NVH levels on the outside are pretty high, but cabin insulation is something which is really commendable. The noise doesn't creep inside the cabin and specially cruising at high speeds, the cabin is fairly quite. Its a solidly put together carRide and handling is pretty good and the light steering does spoil you a lot driving with-in the city. On highways, the steering weighs up a little, though not to a satisfactory level.

Turning radius is one thing which is very impressive of this car. At just 4.7meters radius, it is surely one of the shortest and one can make a U-turn in one go even in the most congested of roads.

Its a solidly put together car, built quality is top notch inside out. No flimsy ends anywhere. But yes its more of a 4 seater with the limited rear leg room and the huge transmission tunnel in between.

At Rs. 7.75Lacs ex-showroom, Cross Polo loses the battle to its own GT siblings. GT TSI at 7.99Lacs and the GT TDI with the 1.6Liter engine at 8.03Lacs are more bucks for the money as compared to the Cross Polo.

Hi Vibhor,
Thanks for the precise review.Did you mean to say that the clutch has become softer than earlier in Polo or just mentioned that even though the clutch is light the placement is high.I am curious because the Vento TDI clutch is the worst clutch I have encountered,I would like to take a test drive again if they have rectified the same.Coming to Cross Polo,it was a useless exercise by Volkswagen, they should have given it at least a higher ground clearance.Don't know whom they are targeting with this avatar of Polo?
Regards,
Aneesh.

My prophesy - this is a car destined to fail.

Give me an old Fiat Adventure 1.6 (remember, anyone?) over this mascara job anyday - that one at least had the go to match the show.

I totally agree with the review. I was even thinking to myself (much before I reached the end of the review) that we'd be better of saving the extra bucks and adding a custom body kit to the normal Polo with the money we save to make it hotter and when I reached the end of the review, I saw that you had mentioned what I had thought.
Till date, I have seen only one CrossPolo in Trivandrum in the same red colour. Must say that it does stand out a bit but it is NOT something I would buy. VW should have learnt from Skoda's failure with the Fabia Scout. Or atleast, they should have plonked in the 1.6l TDI from the Vento to garner some sort of interest. And they should have put on better alloys too. I mean. The ones on the new Polo HL are miles better looking than the plain Jane ones on the CrossPolo.

A fail from VW, I say.

Regards,
Vipin

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team

Hi Vibhor, Thanks for the precise review.Did you mean to say that the clutch has become softer than earlier in Polo or just mentioned that even though the clutch is light the placement is high.
I mean the latter. Thank god atleast the clutch is light otherwise it’d have been a real nightmare with combination of rough clutch and its high mounted position.

I totally agree with the review. I was even thinking to myself (much before I reached the end of the review) that we'd be better of saving the extra bucks and adding a custom body kit to the normal Polo with the money we save to make it hotter and when I reached the end of the review, I saw that you had mentioned what I had thought.
Thanks. Great minds think alike. [;)]

Drive Safe,
350Z

The longer travel of the Polo clutch does cause severe ankle fatigue. I experienced it once while I was stuck in very heavy, very slow moving traffic which only needed clutch inputs. I was cursing all the while wishing I had bought an auto box car.

He he. Yes. Great minds do think alike [:D]

Regards,
Vipin

Doubt anybody will shell around 7.5 L for cross polo,would rather go for an Ecosport.This car will go the way the Fabia scout did..lose its way into ignominy!!

Re: Volkswagen Cross Polo TDi: Review | Test Drive | Pictures

Great review Vibhor.

I do keep wondering though whats the point this car makes ? How does it differentiate with the regular one.

Great review Vibhor.

I do keep wondering though whats the point this car makes ? How does it differentiate with the regular one.
Stop wondering Master Iron Rock, there is no point. Its a bit like painting a yellow and red 'S' on one's chest and leaping from the top of a building in the hope that one will save the world.

Its a bird. Its a plane. Its Superman Volkswagen Cross Polo.

Er, and its not selling at all.

VW should plan on launching the Golf/UP in Indian Markets rather than just recycling existing products with some cosmetic changes and re branding.

Top Bottom