Vespa Brings New Range of Scooters in India

I think they had planned to sell aroung 20000 scooters last year. Surprising that they have reduced prices despite overachieving targeted sales by 25%. Or maybe my memory is not serving me right.

I wonder what happened to the other rumored scooter launches, do they want to stick to just one product strategy, i am sure that their dealers want more products in every segments.

2012 stocks maybe; or the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent "conditions apply" clause (48000 down payment, rest in easy installments of Rs 1000 p.m. :p!!).

Mamma Mia !!

Rumour: Piaggio India to launch cut price Vespa LX125 with a fiber body? [Edit Inside: Piaggio denies this rumour]

Here’s Piaggio India’s official statement,
Piaggio set out to create the luxury segment with the launch of the Vespa LX 125 in India in April 2012. The information on Vespa unveiling a fibre body variant and reducing price to Rs 50,000/- is untrue. We are happy to respond to any queries that may arise regarding the same.
Rumour: Piaggio India to launch cut price Vespa LX125 with a fiber body? [Edit Inside: Piaggio denies this rumour] - Indian Cars Bikes

I am happy to hear this. I personally don't like the fibre body on scooters. It feels pathetic!

would have enquired about the ominous "conditions apply" if I were in Mumbai [roll].

Last edited:

AnantG

Suspended
Its really a good scooter. It comes equipped with alloy wheels, 3 spoke, logo branded, which offers a stylish and sporty look to the lifestyle scooter. Piaggio Vespa has latest suspensions which offer stability, comfort and control even on the rugged areas.

Recently test drove the Vespa 125.
The showroom was looking and feeling corporate.
All colours were on display including a duel red and white.The duel tone can be order as per choice of combination of colors , scooter is available within 3 days as per SE once the colors are ordered (pune-Baramati distance is 110 km)
I liked the yellow one which is their most selling one in Pune.
I liked the classic look which is their USP and the stainless steel mirrors just add to its appeal.

Pune OTR is 67000 INR and Rs 4000 extra for accessories (front and rear bumper bars and an upmarket floor mat which are must in Pune conditions, lady foot rest , rear safty grab handle etc.)

The scooter can be started both ways i.e. button and kick .However the kick start is possible only if the middle stand is engaged.If you find that the start button is kaput then you have to get down so as to engage the middle stand otherwise the kick pedal would touch the ground and the scooter won't start. I didn't liked it.

The front bumper has got a small dickey which missed the bottle holder, sunglasses holder etc. It is openable only when the ignition key is in situ and gets locked whenever the handle is locked.

The big letdown was location of the fuel inlet which is situated underneath the seat near the boot.Every time you go to the bunk , you will have to get down and go behind the scooter open the boot lock and then the inlet cap which is very boring. On the top of it the privacy about the items placed in the boot gets hampered.
However the boot (10 lit) has got an plastic inner case which is removable but lack of a handle makes the usability of the removable inner case limited.
The engine noise levels are less as compare d to hondas. The engine is CBU from Italy and rest of the scooter is manufactured and assembled in India, hence the price.
The engine is 10 bhp 125 cc and the weight of scooter is 100 kg and it can carry 250 kg additional weight .
Placement of all the buttons is comfortable and their feel is not plasticky. The TR scooter was not equipped with the mirrors,hence could not know the visibility and usability.

The riding experience was nice , the pick up is awesome as compared to hondas which are noisy in the beginning and at highspeed.I rode it @80 kmph and found the stability a class apart.

But the suspension (front) is a big letdown , It was making noise every time I paased on average and accept able potholes .The SE said it can be issue with this pirticular scooter but not with all.
The braking was also good and never felt scary when applied urgently.

Over all touch , paint job is best in two wheelers.also fit and finish is sturdy and confidence inspiring.

@Tornado - thanks for posting up a review.

My dad is planning to get the Vespa in exchange for the Access. Do you think it's worth it? Would also like to know when is the disc brake variant releasing?

Vespa is charging almost Rs 10 k extra than what it deserve IMO.It is something like spending
on bullet with classic looks.
@jihu , just see if your father is more concerned about looks, italian engine and the FE i.e. 55kmpl (best in class), also damage to the stainless steel mirrors would be a costly affair as compared to the competition,
otherwise wait till more scooters come with classic looks.

I think Access comes with externaly accessible fuel inlet.

Vespa is charging almost Rs 10 k extra than what it deserve IMO.It is something like spending
on bullet with classic looks.
@jihu , just see if your father is more concerned about looks, italian engine and the FE i.e. 55kmpl (best in class), also damage to the stainless steel mirrors would be a costly affair as compared to the competition,
otherwise wait till more scooters come with classic looks.

I think Access comes with externaly accessible fuel inlet.
he's interested in it just because of the brand name. Nothing else!
Even I am not interested to get that for that price. Its high, and the reliability seems a issue for me. My friend's vespa had some rattling issues within 2 weeks of delivery. Still isn't fully sorted out. Bought soon after release in India!
I guess waiting for a better scooter is the good option.

Yes , there was rattling in the suspension of TR vespa too, front suspension was also noterforming up to mark.

Better to wait for new models with classic look or for discounts on existing Vespa.

Top Bottom