Vellore-Thriunallar.. Last outing with my Blacky..

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends..

I’m back with my recent travelogue. This trip happened with all of the sudden.

On bright Sunday(08/01/2011) morning I received a call from my parents & they said my brother-in-law got 5 days leave. So they planned to visit Tirunallar temple during these days. For me, I have week-off on Tuesday & Wednesday. So Trip confirm on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Our plan:

Up Route – Vellore > Tiruvanamalai > Panruti > Neyveli > Chidambaram > Tharangampadi > Karaikal > Thirunallar.
Down Route – Thirunallar > Tiruvarur > Kumbakonam > Neyveli > Panruti > Tiruvanamalai > Vellore.
No. of Occupants: Myself, Mom, Dad, Sister & her husband.
Car: My black Indica.
Total Km Covered: 800km
Mileage achieved : 17.6kmpl(with full time A/C on)

As that was the first time to Thirunallar so I was not aware of the road conditions and routes.

After finishing my office work, I started to vellore from Chennai at 11:00pm & reached home at 1:30 am.

Day 1:

I waked up at 5:30am and started from Vellore around 6:30am. Previous day, I asked my dad to check Nitrogen air and oil. As everything was fine, I just filled the diesel and headed towards Tiruvanamalai. Whenever we start our trip, first we will do small pooja to my car for trouble free journey. We finished our pooja at a small temple, which is located 16km far from Vellore. Once pooja has done we continued our trip.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Next we stopped at T.V.malai. In Tiruvanamalai, before to Entrance arch, there was a small hotel called “Hotel Deepam”. There we had breakfast & tea. In that hotel they prepared Variety rice in packets, as we are the regular customers to that hotel. We know the variety rice should be tasty. So we brought variety rice for lunch and again started to continue our trip and hit the by-pass. In bye-pass we got a full view of T.Vmalai Temple & Mountain.

Here the pics are.

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

The road condition from T.V.malai to panruti was good. We can able to cruse 100km/hr on those roads. Due to “Thane storm” the entire trees near panruti were fallen. We can say there were no trees at all.
Before to Panruti, we faced a large queue of Vehicles. I just stopped in the queue and enquired a cyclist about the jam. Then I came to know the village people blocked the road for “Thane fund”. The cyclist told there was a road inside the village, which leads to panruti town. So, I detour into village without knowing the road condition. There I faced a big problem, in that village there was no roads at all, the people using dry agriculture fields as roads for about to 1km. I don’t know how to cross that road, but I had no other option, so entered into that dry field with my car by following a truck. Truck crossed without any difficulty, one sumo also followed me on that road, oops field. I crossed that filed carefully, then also a big rock hit my underchase. Due to that hit the rod below to engine got bend and started to touch the engine. That created to vibrate the whole car body. Finally reached Panruti town and took Neyveli road. In that road one mechanic cleared the rod issue & he asked 150 bunks, that was too costly, Then I argued with him and finally paid 100 bunks and continued the trip.

Thread Starter #3
When we reached vadalur we decided to visit Vallalar place. I don’t know how to call that place. That is not a temple. A place where Vallalar became as a “Jothi”. There I saw so many beggars. Personally I don’t like that place.out of curiosity i visited that place. Here the pics are:

Attachments

Hi Appu,

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

I am planning to visit Thirunallar in a month from Bangalore. Any recommendation for stay around Thirunallar? I am planning to visit Tanjore and Kumbakonam too. How is the road conditions? One more query, how far is Pillayarpatti from this place? I'm planning to take my parents with me for this trip, so need to plan everything. I'm more concerned about the stay, can you suggest us a decent place to stay.

Drive Safe!

Thread Starter #5
Hi Appu,

I am planning to visit Thirunallar in a month from Bangalore. Any recommendation for stay around Thirunallar?
Hi Ram,

There are so many good lodges available in temple street and its surroundings. Due to off-season, we can get rooms very easily.
As we stayed with the help of my uncle friend, I don't have any idea.

I am planning to visit Tanjore and Kumbakonam too. How is the road conditions?
From Thirunallar to kumbakonam will come around 60km & from kumbakonam to Thanjore will be around 40km. the road condition on these routes are really good with some patches & many curves.

One more query, how far is Pillayarpatti from this place?
from Thanjore to Pillayarpati would come around 120km. Tanjore-Pudupet-Pillayarpatti(in karaikudi Road)

I'm planning to take my parents with me for this trip, so need to plan everything. I'm more concerned about the stay, can you suggest us a decent place to stay.
hey man, don't worry about stay, as this is the off-season you can easily get accommodation. There are so many good hotels available on these routes. Myself also visited these places with my parents & without knowing the lodges, but every time we got decent rooms everywhere..

Prepare for your trip & have a great fun ..

Guys,Will post the remaining travelouge shortly..[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Around 2:00pm we all felt hungry, So, I searched for stream near road side to have Lunch, and then got same kind of location. There we had lunch and again stared the trip. From Chidambaram to Karikal the road was somewhat better when compare to Panruti-Chidambaram stretch. But this road was narrow with so many curves.

Around 4:30pm we crossed Thargampadi, there I found the seashore at some distance from road. Again detour to Sea. There I saw a fort which was built by Dutch people for their export and Import business. The fort was under maintenance so we are not allowed inside the fort. But we spent 1hr at seashore and had a refreshing tea near sea.

Thread Starter #11
5:30pm > we again started our trip and reached Tirunallar around 7:00pm. We already spoke with my uncle’s friend to book the room near temple. My uncle’s friend having a shop opposite to temple. So he booked the room just opposite to temple. Then we shifted our luggage from car to room. I parked my car behind that lodge and asked watchman to takecare of my car for the whole night & paid Rs.10 to him. Then visited the temple on that night itself and had dinner near to temple and went to sleep at 10:30pm

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

Will update the remaining Travelogue shortly.. [evil]

Hi Appu,

I am planning to visit Thirunallar in a month from Bangalore. Any recommendation for stay around Thirunallar? I am planning to visit Tanjore and Kumbakonam too. How is the road conditions? One more query, how far is Pillayarpatti from this place? I'm planning to take my parents with me for this trip, so need to plan everything. I'm more concerned about the stay, can you suggest us a decent place to stay.

Drive Safe!
Recently (29/01) had a trip through Namakkal - Trichy - Tanjore - Kumbakonam - Thirunallar - Pondy - Chennai.

Tanjore - Kumbakonam road is not in good shape. Traffic also was hign on sunday. We took almost 90 mins to complete around 40 KMs

Kumbakonam - Thirunallar road is ok when compare to Tanjore - Kumbakonam.

Also for your information they are closing the Temple by 1pm or 1.30pm. And opening again by 4pm.

Have a nice trip

Thread Starter #13
Recently (29/01)
Also for your information they are closing the Temple by 1pm or 1.30pm. And opening again by 4pm.

In kumbakonam circle, All the temples will be closed from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Because of that we are unable to visit the GuruBhavan in Alangudi temple during my trip.

Will update that story in the remaining travelogue by next week :)

Top Bottom