Using Hands for Signals - Does it Works?

Thread Starter #1
When we go to fetch our licence we learn lot of signalling using our hands. But how many of us do really use out hands for signalling? Sometimes it becomes necesaary to use hands for signalling, like for U turning or for stopping your vehicles and so on.

Thanking you

Regards

Re: Using Hands for Signals?

Hi, i give hand signal only for u turn , crossing and sometime to tell people in front to pass !

I use my hands regularly when i am riding my bike as well as my car, When i want to take an U-Turn i definitely pull down the windows, no matter even if the aircon is running i want to cross the road safely without troubling the on-coming vehicles.

When the signal turns red I raise my hands without fail when i drive my car.

using hands while taking a U-turn or while taking sharp turns is a good thing because they are a number of people who doesn't even notice the indicator blinking!

While dropping my wife today in my bike, I thought of this. I am no more using hand signals here in Bangalore. Is it because too much of traffic or I'm inexperienced to drive with one hand in Bangalore traffic? I'm using only indicators, even to change lane. And I do check regularly if my front and back indicators of my bike and car works.

lxi.

Suspended

LOL!
I cant dream to do that!
I have no 2 wheeler and only cars at home.
But, i have seen many M800 drivers keeping thier right hand out and sometimes give indicators also with hand!

For me its more of an instinct thing. Sometimes while taking a turn or taking u-turn I just feel the need to put my hand out n signal. Other times I usually use my indicators.

Sometimes I find hand signalling a little dangerous. A few riders put their hands out without even looking into their rear view mirror (or they don't have one) and their hands just miss a bus or vehicle coming from behind by a few centimeters.

I use only for U-Turns if there is traffic behind! Also sometimes telling other people/drivers in front to pass. Otherwise rest of the time I use Indicators. Also I cannot drive my bike and car without three thing; Horn, Indicators and both side mirrors.

Basically I use hand signals on 4 occasions:-
1):When I find that the driver of the vehicle coming from front is confused from which side to go.
2):If the vehicle trying to overtake me is trying to do it at any dangerous point like road in front is broken,oncoming traffic or blind turn then I simply wave my hand to the vehicle to slow down and then allow it to pass safely after i feel it safe.
3):In dense city traffic as most of the drivers can't see the indicator lights there.
4):When some heavy vehicle like bus or truck is following too close as I believe that its driver can't see my rear indicator lights.

Well One word Hand Signal Helps !! Its for your car safety & for others safety too. I normally use hand signals while shifting lanes as Indicators are for namesake in Bangalore traffic, sorry to tell that because few people do not understand the purpose of pass or a Dim & Dip, so i feel hand signals is best to communicate with people. On highways I prefer the indicator method & it has worked for me so far.

Drive Safe.
Santosh.V

Yea mostly driving we use our hands for signalling, and that also mostly if we are about to take turn on the most ways.

I mostly do it when there is heavy traffic and I am not using AC. Because while in heavy traffic -people tends to miss the car turning signals as all of us are mostly frustrated. :-)

Hand signal is more effective and people really give priority to hand signal over blinkers. Hand signals are even good if you want a pedestrian to cross or your inability to slow down or stop because of rear vehicles.

Hand signal is more effective and people really give priority to hand signal over blinkers. Hand signals are even good if you want a pedestrian to cross or your inability to slow down or stop because of rear vehicles.
But sometimes its not at all safe. Have seen cases where people use hand for signal & the car behind him overtakes just missing his hand!

Top Bottom