Using Diesel Additives?

Still I will suggest against it. Below are some link which may be useful.
Some detail explanation has given.

HowStuffWorks "Why Fuel Additives Won't Improve Performance and Gas Mileage"

Do Those Fuel Additives Work? - Ask Our Experts Blog

Some extract:

To understand why so many of these additives are ineffective, it’s helpful to understand that all modern engines are controlled by the vehicle’s on-board computer. The computer relies on sensors to adjust engine functions, including fuel delivery, ignition timing and — on the most advanced engines — when the intake and exhaust valves open and close. Mileage-boosting fuel additives claim to increase the combustion efficiency of gasoline. But the automaker programs a vehicle’s computer to have optimal fuel economy with straight gasoline in the tank. Change the chemistry, and you may actually find a decrease in both performance and mpg — if there is any real change at all. Also, consider this: If there really were safe, cost-effective additives to increase fuel economy, wouldn’t some gasoline brands already be trying to sell them to you (along with their gas)?

Some More
There is no magical elixir that is designed to make your engine magically become more efficient and powerful. About the only time these additives may work is if you are not using the right octane rating fuel as your vehicle requires and you increase it to what it is supposed to be using an additive.
Amit, I get your point.. however I am only referring to additives which clean the system and not increase mileage (i.e over what the engine has been designed to give).
System cleaners do work and bring the engine back to the HP and Torque figure the manufacturer had mandated.

Amit, I get your point.. however I am only referring to additives which clean the system and not increase mileage (i.e over what the engine has been designed to give).
System cleaners do work and bring the engine back to the HP and Torque figure the manufacturer had mandated.
Exactly my point is same as well. Increasing Mileage isn't the point, rather cleaning the system is. However, sometimes when you have a cleaner system, injectors are spraying the fuel to the optimum level, and as mentioned above the engine delivers the optimum HP and Torque figures, lesser the throttle input than otherwise or labour to the engine. Hence, better or marginally better mileage is a byproduct rather.

Exactly my point is same as well. Increasing Mileage isn't the point, rather cleaning the system is. However, sometimes when you have a cleaner system, injectors are spraying the fuel to the optimum level, and as mentioned above the engine delivers the optimum HP and Torque figures, lesser the throttle input than otherwise or labour to the engine. Hence, better or marginally better mileage is a byproduct rather.
With no intention to bother anybody and just to clear my facts ,let me try to understand, I know that if fuel injector is clogged it will affect the over all performance of the car.
As per my understanding If the injector is clogged it has to be cleaned by the professional hand as it is a technical problem. Here I am not sure whether Additive can do the job what human hand can do. But I will go with professional hand.

With no intention to bother anybody and just to clear my facts ,let me try to understand, I know that if fuel injector is clogged it will affect the over all performance of the car.
As per my understanding If the injector is clogged it has to be cleaned by the professional hand as it is a technical problem. Here I am not sure whether Additive can do the job what human hand can do. But I will go with professional hand.
Agreed. Hope you are referring to the Flow Test Method for Injectors.

To what I understand is, additives can be tried as a "First Aid". If not working well, then a professional hand is required for sure.

Additives, clean the fuel system.As they flow with the fuel they start cleaning the lines all the way to the injectors and then also the top end of the block where the combustion takes place as claimed by the manufacturers of these products.

The best method is infact a mixture of manual injector cleaning and using these fuel system cleaners.Manual injector cleaning should be done at 15000-20000kms or as prescribed by the manufacturer.For the liquid additives go with known companies like STP,3M,Cyclo,Abro not sure if Bardahl makes additives, but they've been around for ages.

Additives, clean the fuel system.As they flow with the fuel they start cleaning the lines all the way to the injectors and then also the top end of the block where the combustion takes place as claimed by the manufacturers of these products.

The best method is infact a mixture of manual injector cleaning and using these fuel system cleaners.Manual injector cleaning should be done at 15000-20000kms or as prescribed by the manufacturer.For the liquid additives go with known companies like STP,3M,Cyclo,Abro not sure if Bardahl makes additives, but they've been around for ages.
Thanks for the insight Jarpickle. Yes, Bardahl do make one too. How about Iftex System D & Standney? Actually, Standney is from Fuel Injectors / System manufacturers, which is not the case in others.

System D is hard to find here.So I thought they stopped making it.

You mean Stanadyne.No I have not used this.Frankly most cars I have seen use Bosch/Magnetti Marelli systems so I have not even heard of Stanadyne.But according to their webpage they have operations in India as well.So give their product a try, should easily available and cheaper compared to the others.

Last edited:
Dont know the quality of the Diesel in India but bad diesel with impurities can damage your expensive Fuel Pressure pump.

Common Rail systems are more prone to fail with bad diesel. So a good additive can help.

I have read that a lot of people add small quantities of two cycle oil as a additive to the diesel in order that this lubricate the Diesel Fuel pressure pump.

Since your Skoda use the same engine as the VW TDi, I recommend you to visit TDI Club.com for getting more advices on proper care of your diesel engine.

Good luck,

Isaac

Last edited:
I have been using "SERVO ADON D" diesel Additives for my Car (Skoda Octavia) for the last few months. I read in Skod amanual the other day to not to using additives in Engine oil or the disel.

Do anyone have openion if it is good or bad to use the additives.
Even i was skeptical about this when i purchased Chevy Sail, but during my first quality check at 1000KMS, the ASS people themselves asked me to purchase it. From then i have been using system D ( Bought from BP petrol pump and not from Chevrolet ASS due to the price difference for the same thing).

Top Bottom