Used VW Vento vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Please allow me to put forth the scenario in short: It's my Mom's 50th birthday this August end, and she always had a wish for road trips (and she loves a sedan), hence the thought of suprising her with a pre-owned sedan.

Budget: ~4L
New or Used: Used
Cars shortlisted: Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Volkswagen Vento.
Preference: Comfort, Maintenance (Spare Parts), Dynamics, Features, Mileage.
Monthly Running: ~500 KM's
Fuel Type: Petrol
Purpose type: Regular Use, Touring
Seating Capacity: 3-4
Segment Type: Sedan.

I hope I've satisfied the requirements to start this thread. Looking forward to some invaluable feedbacks from owners of the aforementioned sedans.

Thread Starter #2
Hello All, I'm new to this forum, hence, please excuse the mistakes.

I am thinking about getting an used sedan for my Mom's birthday this August. I'm confused between City, Verna and Vento.

Can I please get some references of owners of the Verna as to what all should I keep in mind before looking at a Verna, any issues I should be wary of and the do's and don't's.

The maintenance practices, spare parts, and the costs involved are my main concerns right now.

I'd love if a Good-samaritan can help me out in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Sedans give low mileage in the city especially petrol. My verna gives me anywhere between 9-11 kms per liter. Delhi's traffic too is to be blamed.
City's parts are more expensive than the verna ( from service centre) some of the hyundai parts are 4-5 times expensive in their original packaging so try to source original parts on your own and get it fit from a trusted mechanic.

Also I would advice against buying a second hand car from the dealer. You never know which problem will crop up just after a month or so. If you can buy a car which you have seen maintained from your relative , it would be a better option.

Plus do get the service history checked from the service centre of any car you decide to buy , any accidental claims etc.

Look at the underbody for possible damage parts. Click photos of the engine from below and check the engine after driving as well. This way you can see if there is any engine oil leak.

Friend bought a used Audi A4 from a dealer. He didn't check the underbody and after driving the car for some time , a problem cropped up. Removed the engine guard and they saw whole lot of engine oil leaking.

Two friends bought a 3 series and another A4 from relative and both cars worked fine for 2-3 years without any problem. Whatever problem occured were wear and tear items which were normal for the age of the car.
Keep around 15%- 20% budget aside for possible parts changes in the future.

I would totally recommend a smaller new car for peace of mind or buy from a relative whose car you have seen and can be trusted.

Thread Starter #5
Used diesel or petrol ?
A petrol Sir, my monthly running would be very low.

Sedans give low mileage in the city especially petrol. My verna gives me anywhere between 9-11 kms per liter. Delhi's traffic too is to be blamed.
City's parts are more expensive than the verna ( from service centre) some of the hyundai parts are 4-5 times expensive in their original packaging so try to source original parts on your own and get it fit from a trusted mechanic.

Also I would advice against buying a second hand car from the dealer. You never know which problem will crop up just after a month or so. If you can buy a car which you have seen maintained from your relative , it would be a better option.

Plus do get the service history checked from the service centre of any car you decide to buy , any accidental claims etc.

Look at the underbody for possible damage parts. Click photos of the engine from below and check the engine after driving as well. This way you can see if there is any engine oil leak.

Friend bought a used Audi A4 from a dealer. He didn't check the underbody and after driving the car for some time , a problem cropped up. Removed the engine guard and they saw whole lot of engine oil leaking.

Two friends bought a 3 series and another A4 from relative and both cars worked fine for 2-3 years without any problem. Whatever problem occured were wear and tear items which were normal for the age of the car.
Keep around 15%- 20% budget aside for possible parts changes in the future.

I would totally recommend a smaller new car for peace of mind or buy from a relative whose car you have seen and can be trusted.
Thank You Sir, would it be possible to talk a little more in detail with you regarding to this? How can I contact you?

Common issues with :
Hyundai Verna : Steering Rack&column - Noise starts cropping up (especially when the car is most used in rough tarmacs) - 35k-50k km
Hardening of clutch (Usually city driven vernas)- can crop even from 15k-20k km
Stiff Suspension (Addressed usually my customers , and mostly they replace the rear coils - Hyundai had addressed customer's concern in 2015 onwards)
Petrol engines generally tend to get low mileage (Hyundais are damn abuse friendly , you push even so roughly you get mileage of 7kmpl, ride so sedately in city you get around 8kmpl ....but cruise in 120kmph/130kmph in 5th gear on a highway , you will be rewarded with 14kmpl , generally all hyundai petrol engines life is dependent on years used rather than kilometres (Personal opinion)

Honda City : Proven Ivtec Engine , Performance slightly lesser than hyundai , but not bad , still matches segment standrads. (Haven't taken a petrol city to service centre) , but experience with diesel city , brake pads needs a change at every 20kkms (city driven , sedate driving usage) , suspension still strong even after taking in rough tarmacs , gentle bounce started since 45kkm .

My choice - As a driver , if your drives are on highway take the Verna (Steering and handling not Hyundai's DNA) , still it won't dissapoint .
As a passenger , City is the best for comfort in rear benches (That's why still city rules the segment , inspite new verna having better specs)

Thread Starter #7
My choice - As a driver , if your drives are on highway take the Verna (Steering and handling not Hyundai's DNA) , still it won't dissapoint .
As a passenger , City is the best for comfort in rear benches (That's why still city rules the segment , inspite new verna having better specs)
Thank You!

Off Topic: The Vento was also in the wishlist, and probably top of it. Any feedback about it? I'm in love with the VW design and the vibe the Vento/Polo give since 4-5 years, hence I'm emotionally inclined towards it.

I've come across an ad, a 2014 Vento, 1.6L MPI Petrol, 27xxx KMs on the odometer asking price 4.5L, negotiable.

I heard the MPI Petrol is the least problematic of all, and the odometer reading is less too.

If all the service records are clean, and of course I'll will get her checked through a VW service center too, can I go ahead?

And I generally tend to pamper my vehicles a lot, best oils possible, and everything that goes with maintenance required.

My use would be mostly as a weekend car, might just require a couple of 3-4 KMs usage in the city, so it would be sparingly used.

Sorry for the long post.

Thread Starter #9
To be very frank , personally I hate VW for only one reason - the VW products sold in India , doesn't get any features updated up (specs wise, lag behind the competition).
I'm not that bothered about the features. I come from a 2009 Palio Stile 1.1 SLX, so even a properly working A.C is a heavenly feature for me.

My preference would be (as a driver)- City>Verna>Vento
If you had included 2014 model global fiesta (2011 also) - Fiesta >City>Verna>vento

by the way mods i think these posts are in wrong section , kindly move it if you feel the same, thank you.

Thread Starter #12
Did you decide on anything ?
Hello, sorry for the late update, I finally stuck with my original choice and went for Honda City 2012, V-AT!

The deal:
Cost Price - ₹4,35,000
Odometer - 17165 KMs

The previous owner had fitted CASKA HU, Rear parking camera, had changed the tyres in 2018 to Yokohamas (unfortunately, still 175 sections) but the new tyres had only covered ~1000 KMs when I purchased, had got the anti-rust coating done, and 3M sun films installed, so all these saved me a lot of expense.

Checked the service record, the car had been serviced twice an year till 2018, when the odometer reading was at ~15500 KMs, and then in Feb 2020 when odometer was ~17000 KMs, and with no mention of any bodywork done.

Overall, quite happy with the jump from Palio 2009 to City, as I feel in a different world altogether!

Attachments

Congrats sirji and welcome to Honda family. [clap]

Car looks good as new and you paid reasonable money for it. Looking forward to your ownership thread.

Thread Starter #14
Congrats sirji and welcome to Honda family. [clap]

Car looks good as new and you paid reasonable money for it. Looking forward to your ownership thread
Thank You Sir! Please call me Manas!

Yes, one is on the way, I'm just getting around the rules of the thread starting. I'm trying to be as candid as I can. Hopefully soon :) Would love to see you all there

Top Bottom