Used Volkswagen Passat - To Buy or Not?

Thread Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am not mechanically inclined at all but always loved the looks of the Old Passat. Am thinking of buying a 2008 / 09 automatic diesel variant. A few questions:

1) Is a 4-5 year old used Passat a good idea at all?
2) I've seen a lot of debate in forums about PD v/s CRDI. Is PD necessarliy a bad thing?
3) When did Passat change from PD to CRDI?
4) What should I expect to pay? I do realise that this will depend on the condition but say a Highline DSG AT with 40K on the odo?
5) What will be the maintainence cost per year.
6) What kind of surprises can I expect in terms of maintainance? I understand that the parts are very expensive.
7) Now that there is a new Passat, will there be part availability problems going forward?

I'm in Mumbai, so if any of you know of any good deals available, please let me know at mmishh at gmail dot com .

Thanks,

Personally i would never buy a automatic second hand, for the simple reason if anything conks out with the autobox you will end up spending in lakhs.
Again this by any means does not mean the car you are referring has gear box issues - but the risk just comes with the nature of buying automatics second hand

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Mmishh, Welcome to The Automotive India.
1) Is a 4-5 year old used Passat a good idea at all?
Passat is a reliable and feature loaded machine but buying one or not purely depends upon the condition of a particular model. Make sure perform a thorough inspection and be prepared because being a second hand car, some obvious wear and tear is expected which would translate into possible expensive spare parts replacements.

2) I've seen a lot of debate in forums about PD v/s CRDI. Is PD necessarliy a bad thing?
Not necessarily. Both the engine mills have their own set of pros and cons. Common rail is refined, fuel efficient and less noisy but Pumpe Duse on the other hand is considered to be more tolerable when it comes to long-term abuse / bad fuel etc.

3) When did Passat change from PD to CRDI?
Guess Volkswagen introduced Passat CRDi somewhere around March 2010.

7) Now that there is a new Passat, will there be part availability problems going forward?
Hopefully Volkswagen will continue supplying spares at least until a decade. It shouldn’t be an issue.

4) What should I expect to pay? I do realise that this will depend on the condition but say a Highline DSG AT with 40K on the odo?
You can expect to spend anywhere around Rs.13 – 15 Lakhs for a four year old model. I recommend checking out with Volkswagen itself because they are opening up authorized used car dealerships in India (Known as Das WeltAuto). The car will be offered with proper warranty, check-up and previous records (hence more peace of mind). This although should not stop you from inspecting the car yourself before finalizing. Just keep a watch in the market for various deals. Good luck.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Dear 350Z,

Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed response. Was travelling abroad and now that I'm back will start looking seriously. Your comments really helped. I fully realise that buying a second hand car is always a bot of a gamble. I remember a friend who bought a year old Fiat Siena diesel (remember those?) with 5K on the odo and from a very reliable car worshipper for what we thought was a fantastic price. Well, within 6 months he was down by 1.2 lacs!! It just was a lemon. So I will only buy once I'm fully satisfied (to the best of my ability) it's a good specimen.

Cheers.

Top Bottom