Used Maruti Zen or Esteem?

I guess it ( # 3 d0or mod) can be done on zen, If it can be done on Swift.

Check this 3 door Swift, modified by one of the professional modifier from Punjab.
untitled.JPG

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
he likes the zen a lot. he wants to paint the car yellow and may be convert it into a 3 door like a zen carbon. remove the back seats and may be put on a roll cage. he definitely doesn't want to go rallying but likes that look for weekend trips. for engine mods he doesn't want an engine swap. just may be a CAI, iridium plugs and some porting and polishing.
That means he’s primarily looking for exterior modifications. It is possible to convert the car into two / three door but its better if can find a 3 Door Zen model instead, although it’s a rare car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #19
Sorry for going slightly OT here, but had a query.
Do the after market body colored bumpers for zen come as regular black colored ones which one has to paint or do they come painted? can someone roughly quote the price for front and back bumpers of old zen. thnx..

Sorry for going slightly OT here, but had a query.
Do the after market body colored bumpers for zen come as regular black colored ones which one has to paint or do they come painted? can someone roughly quote the price for front and back bumpers of old zen. thnx..
Dont think of putting body colored bumpers on your zen, Black bumpers are the best, you can scratch them anytime, and you don't feel so sad about it![thumbsup] Ask Amit too, what he thinks about it [;)]

Dont think of putting body colored bumpers on your zen, Black bumpers are the best, you can scratch them anytime, and you don't feel so sad about it![thumbsup] Ask Amit too, what he thinks about it [;)]
Don't even think of putting colored bumper on zen. Originally bumpers come in black color only, then they are painted. I like black colored bumpers. Even if they are scratched, we do not need to do anything (unless they are torn apart).

They are easy on pocket.
No visible scratches.
I like cars with black bumpers (e.g. while alto with black bumpers).

I think mumbaikar has lot's of cash and he just wants to spend on cars.[;)]

The original Zen always came with coloured bumpers. Black bumpers came only when the LX version came out. The later LXi versions then came with coloured bumpers. Personally I prefer coloured bumpers.

I Have noticed one thing. i have an esteem 97 model carb version i.e type 1, when i re painted the car i went for colored bumpers only. the colored bumpers i feel go well with the clear lens headlamp. Off late i feel the black bumpers go well with the old models of 800,alto and the esteem since they have the old version of lights. Beside its light on the pocket too, any scratches just requires minor repairs ranging from 50/- to 100/-

Last edited by a moderator:
but esteem is 85BHP in a 860 kg car.
so the power to weight ratio in esteem is much higher than zen which is 60BHP in 780kg! so accleration of the esteem would definitely be better.
also esteem is 1.3 vs 993cc in a zen.
may be low slung seating and not so good looks works against it!
wow now i realise the value of having an old gen mpfi zen[:D]
I think the people who tells about esteem, not fun to drive are sure not driven the esteem new model, which came with 85 BHP and all new aluminum engine, which later used in first model Swift petrols.
when we tells about esteem, Most of the people thinks about only old Maruti 1000(45 BHP) and the first model esteems(65BHP). This given a bad name and low resale value for esteems tottaly and small hatch backs had always better resale value than sedans. Even you could get a good Baleno also less than a good new model zen's price.
I own esteem 2006 lxi petrol(55k Km in n ODo) and my uncle had 2006 Zen Vxi(61K Km in ODO). Also my brother has a 1998 zen vx(89k KM). I driven all three a total of 30k km in the last 3 years.In performance wise i love my Esteem Lxi petrol. second 98 zen vx, which has no power steering.
I hate to drive my uncle's 2006 zen Vxi, with more than 2 people and A/c. It really struggles to reach an avaerage speed of 60KM when the vechicle fully loaded, due to this only they are plans to sell the vechicle.But it looks really cute, with the rear wiper ,fog lamp and defogger. My esteem gives me more than 14+ KMPL in local with a/c.2006 zen gives 12-13 with out a/c in same conditions. Old zen gives arouns 16 without a/c. All figures are in short trips.

Last edited:
About old zen petrol, I love this car for its peppiness and very easy to drive and good visibility too !! you know fews years back when I first drove a petrol zen I used to dream to own one !!

Than Esteem, I have experience of M1000 which may be underpowered but in those days it was a real sensation as like a first sedan in the country which is affordable !!

Finally I vote for zen for the modifications

Top Bottom