Used Hatchback To Consider

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI,
Really glad to be a member here, anyway so pre lockdown i wanted to buy a sedan since i sold mine . Now due to lockdown and the obvious financial issues ,plus the previous maintenance expenses my previous honda city had given me , I've come to economical decision of buying an Hatchback . So here are my options with the pros and cons please help me decide
My budget being 4-6 Lakhs max
Wagon R 1.2 (LXI/ZXI) (AMT/MT)
PROS:-
Maruti Suzuki's reliability,
The tried and tested k12 engine (which i feel is detuned for the wagon r)
Low on maintenance and cheap spares
CONS:-
Lacks the sporty feel and driver seat comfort im used to from honda city
Volkswagen Polo (¿would the petrol be better or diesel?)
sporty car overall
(Engine
Handling
Seating
Looks)
CONS:-
Looks a bit dated
And i dont know much about its maintenance can anyone spread a light one it? Ill mostly find models from 2016-2018 in the price budget
Tigor( again,. Petrol or diesel which to choose? )
Getting a relatively newer car for the price budget
Exterior quality
Great ICE
Cons:-
Again same as polo i don't know the long term issue and maintenance of the car

So please TAI members help me choose the car
P.S , options avoided
swift:- because i dont really like the previous gen model and new ones are out of budget
Anycar over the age of 4-5 years
New cars of lower segment

deville_56

Honoured Member
Ford Figo/Freestyle/Aspire fits the scene. Cheap on maintenance, reliable and fun to drive. Comparatively lower resale value makes it cheaper to buy. Diesels are fuel efficient too.

Thread Starter #3
Ford Figo/Freestyle/Aspire fits the scene. Cheap on maintenance, reliable and fun to drive. Comparatively lower resale value makes it cheaper to buy. Diesels are fuel efficient too.
Oh Yes the figo siblings are on my list too , ive never used a petrol Figo before tho what are your reviews on that

deville_56

Honoured Member
Oh Yes the figo siblings are on my list too , ive never used a petrol Figo before tho what are your reviews on that
Did only a short TD on it, a bit sluggish in the low rpm like almost all heavier 1.2s, but loves to be revved and it's altogether different after 2.5-3k rpm. Handles well.

Thread Starter #5
Did only a short TD on it, a bit sluggish in the low rpm like almost all heavier 1.2s, but loves to be revved and it's altogether different after 2.5-3k rpm. Handles well.
well , i searched on olx , couldn't find a newer model of figo available , Plus im more inclined towards Petrol because my per month running is barely 1000 km , which i think would be expensive to maintain on a diesel . The standing of cars according to my liking and maintenence are Wagon R , Tigor , Polo

deville_56

Honoured Member
well , i searched on olx , couldn't find a newer model of figo available , Plus im more inclined towards Petrol because my per month running is barely 1000 km , which i think would be expensive to maintain on a diesel . The standing of cars according to my liking and maintenence are Wagon R , Tigor , Polo
Got a 1.2 petrol Polo as well. Cheaper than the diesel counterpart. Recently serviced at an FNG for around 8500, which is yearly/15000 km. ABS sensors are prone to fail with every monsoon, which adds around 3.5k per wheel. On our diesel Polo, yearly service cost was around 15-17k.

Thread Starter #7
Got a 1.2 petrol Polo as well. Cheaper than the diesel counterpart. Recently serviced at an FNG for around 8500, which is yearly/15000 km. ABS sensors are prone to fail with every monsoon, which adds around 3.5k per wheel. On our diesel Polo, yearly service cost was around 15-17k.
Well whats your take on polo's suspension ? how soon does it needs to be changed, how much would it cost . The petrol seems fairly cheap to maintained compared to the diesel

deville_56

Honoured Member
Well whats your take on polo's suspension ? how soon does it needs to be changed, how much would it cost . The petrol seems fairly cheap to maintained compared to the diesel
For diesel, suspension started showing symptoms at around 1.18 L km, that time changed just bush and replaced the strut and mounts at around 1.35L km. Petrol Polo clocked 55k km and still can hear the strut compression sound crisp and clear. Both Polos are on wider than stock tyres, so more grippier and stable around the corners.

Thread Starter #9
For diesel, suspension started showing symptoms at around 1.18 L km, that time changed just bush and replaced the strut and mounts at around 1.35L km. Petrol Polo clocked 55k km and still can hear the strut compression sound crisp and clear. Both Polos are on wider than stock tyres, so more grippier and stable around the corners.
Thank you for the details on Polo, would like to hear from other people aswell about the other cars

Thread Starter #11
Buddy as far as Tigor is concerned, you may check My Ownership Review" and there are many more detailed ownership reviews of Ford hatchbacks & Polo on our forum.

Regards
Akash
I really loved reading your review Akash. I had a similar feeling when I sold my city, like you did with your esteem. Your review made me put Tigor on the top followed by Wagon-R and then Polo. But I just want to know a couple more stuffs about Tigor. That is you didn't keep the first car for whole 3 years. Do you know long term reliability and maintenance of the car? Any known breakdowns? Help me out please

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I really loved reading ur review akash , i had a similar feeling when i sold my city, like u did with ur esteem . Your review made me put tigor on the top followed ny wagon r n then polo . But i just want to know a couple more stuffs about tigor, that is you didnt keep the first car for whole 3 years . Do you know long term reliability and maintenance of the car? Any known breakdowns? Help me out please
Thanks budd. I hope my review was helpful. I am still can't forget both my Ex-cars i.e Esteem & CITY. It has been difficult for me to get over the CITY. As for Tigor, 1st one had superb reliability and I never had any major breakdowns or issues with it in 2 years. Selling it was due to some family circumstances which I don't want to recall. But, by god's blessings & grace I was able to get the new one for mom in same color & spec. I was very particular of the color this time and the spec too. The new tigor is even more beautiful than the earlier one. So far haven't driven the new one much. Just around 27-28 kms in approx 2 months but did not have any niggles so far. Nexon is doing it's job well for me as I am bit occupied with some personal stuff and I am waiting for my Harrier to arrive in early May-21. In my experience, Tata has improved in reliability as in my Nexon post May-2019 no major issues have come up. You can definitely consider Tigor as its a VFM buy plus the 4 star NCAP rating adds to it.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #13
Thanks budd. I hope my review was helpful. I am still can't forget both my Ex-cars i.e Esteem & CITY. It has been difficult for me to get over the CITY. As for Tigor, 1st one had superb reliability and I never had any major breakdowns or issues with it in 2 years. Selling it was due to some family circumstances which I don't want to recall. But, by god's blessings & grace I was able to get the new one for mom in same color & spec. I was very particular of the color this time and the spec too. The new tigor is even more beautiful than the earlier one. So far haven't driven the new one much. Just around 27-28 kms in approx 2 months but did not have any niggles so far. Nexon is doing it's job well for me as I am bit occupied with some personal stuff and I am waiting for my Harrier to arrive in early May-21. In my experience, Tata has improved in reliability as in my Nexon post May-2019 no major issues have come up. You can definitely consider Tigor as its a VFM buy plus the 4 star NCAP rating adds to it.

Regards
Akash
i think for now my queries are solved, it all comes down to test driving all three, I'd probably stay away from polo a bit because soon the hatchback will going to be a secondary car which i think polo doesnt fit well , Anyhow just need some well wishes for the collection of funds and hopefully I'll post an ownership review here on TAI

Akash1886

Honoured Member
i think for now my queries are solved, it all comes down to test driving all three, I'd probably stay away from polo a bit because soon the hatchback will going to be a secondary car which i think polo doesnt fit well , Anyhow just need some well wishes for the collection of funds and hopefully ill post an ownership review here on TAI
My best wishes to you bro. May you soon realize your dream of owning the new car. Believe in your efforts and in yourself and almighty shall provide you all the strength in realizing your dreams. No dream is too big for human if the efforts to realize it are honest and hardwork always pays. Waiting for your review.

Regards
Akash

Top Bottom