Used Diesel Car: Which One To Choose For Reliability & Least Maintenance Cost?

Thanks for the replies. I have bought a 2017 Jan Swift ZDI (Dec 2016 model).
At what price?

@VISHNUCARCRAZY I have checked a swift and swift dzire (2016 models) yesterday. Swift Dzire at 70500kms and Swift at 87000kms. Both have oil leaking from crank case and from pipes. Oil present in intercooler also. As per mechanic is, the engine may have overheated which resulted in damage (back compression). The symptoms in MJDs is oil leak which often the untrained mechanics detect as turbocharger failure. I did know about this because, I had faced the same with my Ritz which had the same oil leak detected in around 75000kms. I used it till 117000kms, but it was clear that an engine overhaul can only fix this. It is expensive. For my Ritz, mechanic quoted Rs60000 plus.. But, I hear most often it ends up in Rs100000 plus for good work. So, I'm confused. Any idea, if TDCI engines also has this kind of problems?
OT: So, if this de-compression issue comes up in multijet diesels in between 60000 and 70000kms, that may be why Fiat recommends timing chain replacement at 60K kms. Most of the people did not replace timing chain mechanism until they detect audible bell sound?
--
I am still looking for a second Swift or Dzire, since this will ensure good resale value if I want to sell it off in an year or two.
Your analogy can be compared with 90ps MjD engines, 75ps engines in FIAT cars are very rare with oil leaks. Back compression can also be due to choked Oil seperator(rarely happens),cylinder / piston damage. As you guessed, engine overhaul is the only option, if pcv or oil seperator doesnt fixes this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
One car that no one has suggested and I will suggest that is the Etios 1.4 D. It is extremely frugal, extremely cheap to maintain and hardly anything goes wrong in them. Yes, the interiors are little sad but the positives outshine it.

Etios looked and looks always outdated(A car which feels 2 years older than where the segment stands).
Adding, to the Swift discussion, a known issue in most swifts is its gearbox (Synchronizer), the shift becomes troubled, either Odd gear ratios or Even Gear ratios.

Etios looked and looks always outdated(A car which feels 2 years older than where the segment stands).
Adding, to the Swift discussion, a known issue in most swifts is its gearbox (Synchronizer), the shift becomes troubled, either Odd gear ratios or Even Gear ratios.
it was inherited(gear sync issues) in Ertiga too. :D

I know many of my friends who are very happy with 1.3 MJDs. look for a Tata zest with the 1.3 motor, its driving comfort and dynamics are a segment above, and whats good is when it comes to engine parts you have the spares easily available and when you look at other parts like elecrtical etc. Tata parts will be cheap and reliable(yes zests have been reliable on this front too), whats best is being a Tata, used cars will not have unnecessary premium pricing.

But there is one thing to constantly keep in mind, diesels have higher maintenance than a petrol engine and the price difference between diesel and petrol is almost negligible, I have a Diesel Tigor and an Alto K10, off late there is hardly a 15% difference in the fuel cost for our native place runs (round trip costs Rs 4500 for K10 and Rs 5300 for Tigor) , if the price of petrol and diesel becomes similar then there will hardly be any difference in expences, add to that diesel engine maintenance cost.

I would suggest a Honda. I have been driving Honda Mobilio Diesel for the last 6 years and it gets smoother with time. I have clocked 65,000Kms and an planning to retain the mobilio for next 4 to 5 years for sure.

Top Bottom