Urgent Advice Needed on Purchase of a Used SS80 (1986 model)

Thread Starter #1
HI everybody,
I am planning to buy a Maruti Suzuki ss80 used car, I have seen nearly 3models & I liked only one. I am posting the pictures of the car I test drove today.

Seller is quoting 49K, slightly negotiable. I want to close this deal within a day or two. Guys I request you all to go through the pics & my small review about the test drive & post your advice soon.

Test Drive: Drove at around 9pm tonight,

Problem Areas:
  1. Window glass rolling mechanism not working in one door
  2. Drivers door has small dent
  3. Right headlamp not bright enough
  4. rear left indicator not functioning
  5. Seat covers are in very dirty condition
  6. Handbrake feels like Pencil (too thin and not sure if it works)
  7. Floor rusted near the stepney storage area (also paint bubbles in a few areas)
  8. Unnecessary extra lights on front bumper (not yet connected to battery/switches)
  9. Front grill broken at one point
  10. Wiring is in a mess below the floor carpet (crazy DIY for music system)

Lovable things:
  1. Nice rally car kind of sound (seller says he has put some muffler on silencer)
  2. Steering is awesome
  3. All tyres are almost new (he has put new JK tyres on all four rims just a month ago)
  4. ALl the new tyres are in warranty for next three years
  5. Battery is also under warranty for next 6months
  6. Roof (interior part) in somewhat good condition (although colour is not nice)
  7. Engine has that Suzuki Badging & most parts seem to be original (in my opinion)
  8. Door locks working
  9. Red colour (the one I love) car
  10. 1986 model
  11. Seller admits that the brake pads & master cylinder to be replaced (for better braking, as it is pathetic right now)

Steering is super light & easy to use. Steering wheel is too big, need to be replaced. Seats are soft enough & just need new seat covers. Dash board has no cracks/ cigarette burn marks etc. Clutch is somewhat different from the cars I have driven till now. Clutch works only if I release half the way & then use the throttle. May be idling needs to be set. Sound is tooo cooool. Engine is smooth (for a 26yr old car, mild vibrations are acceptable)

I use the first, second & reverse gears. They seem to work fine. Brakes are scary, they hardly work. At speeds to 20-30kmph, I was struggling to stop it, without putting brutal force on the pedal. Not much rattlling noise.

Doors need some tightening. When I open the drivers door. The door rubs the fender and makes noise. That also needs to be sorted out. Driver seats dont move forward & reverse easily (no free sliding) It's a pleasure to drive this old beauty.

If I buy this car I will be the third owner, is the price worth it?

Okay, I think, its time for some pictures.

Your opinions will surely help me take a decision.
1. It is a 1986 model car, so if I buy it, will the RTO allow transfer of documents to my name?
2. FC (fitness certificate) is it required for this car to be used in Bangalore?
3. Can this car be fitted with a average music system with woofer/ something that gives those boom boom effects?
4. What is the cost of FC & RTO transfer in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance. I would love to see this beauty at my home by this weekend.

Attachments

I guess you can go forward and buy this car, as you told try to negotiate the price.
IMO not more than 40k to be paid.

Painting and tinkering is very badly required, costs you around 15-20k.
You can fit an music system with a amp & woofer..

Thread Starter #3
I guess you can go forward and buy this car, as you told try to negotiate the price.
IMO not more than 40k to be paid.

Painting and tinkering is very badly required, costs you around 15-20k.
You can fit an music system with a amp & woofer..
Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply, 15K - 20K is for patch work or complete repainting? I'm new to rebuilding/servicing of cars. So lots of doubts.

there are still some genuine cars out there if you look hard, a uncle of mine has one in chocolate brown with original paint & interior,looks brand new even today,has done 40,000 km till date.
May i ask what is the reason or intent for buying this car,I remember a stripped 800 destroying all the rally esteems on a closed rally course in the Dussera Rally,its light weight makes it a good contender like tho old British Mini.

Thread Starter #5
there are still some genuine cars out there if you look hard, a uncle of mine has one in chocolate brown with original paint & interior,looks brand new even today,has done 40,000 km till date.
May i ask what is the reason or intent for buying this car,I remember a stripped 800 destroying all the rally esteems on a closed rally course in the Dussera Rally,its light weight makes it a good contender like tho old British Mini.
This is my first car, This car is more of a learning ground for me. With most of the cleaning/ replacement of parts & simple servicing will be done by me. After a year or two, I may get into car service industry with a small business center or so. For that I need to have a car, fix most of the issues & of course understand what it means to own & maintain a car, before I start servicing/ fitting ICE into others cars.

I chose this model car (ss80) because it is the best looking 800, older than me, crude fittings, less electronics & its more like a playground for DIY's.

I will be using this only on weekends, monthly usage will not be more than 600kms, with only 2 occupants in the car most of the time. I will use it 70% for city driving and 30% for highway. I plan to spend around 30 - 40K in the next one year for basic upgrades and repainting etc.

Your opinions will surely help me take a decision.
1. It is a 1986 model car, so if I buy it, will the RTO allow transfer of documents to my name?
Possible with a valid FC
2. FC (fitness certificate) is it required for this car to be used in Bangalore?
Yes. Not only in B'lore, any where
3. Can this car be fitted with a average music system with woofer/ something that gives those boom boom effects?
Yes. But doors (may be in other areas too) requires proper damping. Else instead of 'boomboom' effect you will hear rattle noise only
Try negotiating between 35~40k.
Treatment for rusting & paint bubble would cost around 10k
For other repairs (like brakes, window winding mechanism) have another 15k.

My Dad had this car (same color; you refreshed the memories [cry])and believe me in 1986 the actual cost of this car was around 55k. So you can judge how much you can negotiate.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the info, so it means that the current owner (seller) has to get the FC done and only then I can get the ownership transferred. The owner claims that FC costs less than 1K. In case I have to get the FC done then are these true?
1. Vehicle must have good brakes
2. No cracks, dents etc on body
3. Good tyres
4. All lights functional etc

All the above said conditions were told to me by a friend, he too is not sure. So does this mean that I cant drive the vehicle without FC (& FC is not given without 20K spent on current condition of the car?)

[confused]

Top Bottom