Upsizing Alloy Wheels, Pros & Cons?

Thread Starter #1
One more thing i wanted to confirm is,
If we upsize the alloy wheel, that will result in incorrect meter readings. I am sure about it.

But, will it affect the mileage as well. [confused]
I am planning to put sports version alloys to my fiesta.[:)]

Surely Yes!! If it will show incorrect meter reading, then there will be incorrect speeds and distance covered readings, so in all incorrect mileage will be obtained![surprise]

Upsizing the alloy wheel is not recommended by any car company as it has many negative effects like incorrect meter reading,suspension damage and power steering problem.
One of college PG student has 205/60/R 14 Yokohama tyres on his stock steel rims,the consequences were,the rims got bent after driving on mud roads,he had to spend 21 k as a result of power steering fluid leakage.
The reason being told was that the wider tyres cause the amall stones to pass under the car and damaging the power steering fluid container.

Good thread Marun , even i want to know something on this from the auto gurus here!

Yes but it surely will affect the speedo and odo readings. But in your case if you opt for the sports version alloys the difference must be negligible!

Upsizing alloys or upsizing wheel??

Even if rims are upsized ,the whEEL size can be maintained at oem dia BY selecting appropriate profile rubber .

Upsizing wheel is not at all recomended in any cars. Unless otherwise fully re-engineered to withstand addition torque and stress on the lugs.

I am also adding alloys 13" and fatter rubber of 175/70 R13 to my i10 auto? Does it mean, I am doing something wrong? Do let me know.

I am also adding alloys 13" and fatter rubber of 175/70 R13 to my i10 auto? Does it mean, I am doing something wrong? Do let me know.
You are not up sizing the wheel but the tires, so you wont face any trouble of the kind which is being discussed in this thread.

@ Amiti Yes check out the tyre size calculator posted by Jayadev. Choose a profile that doesn cause too much changes to the ODO readings.

These are the results by changing my 155 tires to 175 keeping the rim size 13". Only the rim width will change from 4B to 5.5J

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
155/80-13 4.9in 11.4in 22.8in 71.5in 886 0.0%
175/70-13 4.8in 11.3in 22.6in 71.1in 891 -0.5%

Use appropriate upsize . and choose tyres accordingly, so that the over all diameter is disturbed marginally.

I have fit 15 inch alloys in place of 13 inch.

My tyre size is 195/60 r 15 (though 195/50 r 15 is recommended)
earlier tyre were 185/80 r 13

so up sizing depend on selection and stress on wheel stud depend on type of alloy you choose , if you choose too much negative offset alloys means , you get a stress in knuckles of the studs and fast wear of wheel bearing.

But these parts are replaceable

Upsizing the alloy wheel is not recommended by any car company as it has many negative effects like incorrect meter reading,suspension damage and power steering problem.
One of college PG student has 205/60/R 14 Yokohama tyres on his stock steel rims,the consequences were,the rims got bent after driving on mud roads,he had to spend 21 k as a result of power steering fluid leakage.
The reason being told was that the wider tyres cause the amall stones to pass under the car and damaging the power steering fluid container.

Weird reply by the service station.
stones passing through the bottom hehehehe i cant stop laughing.

your pg friend must have went over some obstacle and steel rims cant hold the tyres and so they may have bend and the same obstacle may have damages the steering unit.

Power steering unit and other hydraulics are in hood and not under body[evil]

Wrong part by your friend to install 205 section on stock steel rims with narrower J

query

:help:Guys, I have a doubt. Since tyre upsize causes incorrect speedo readings, do manufacturers apply corrections across different variants of their cars?

Eg. Punto has 165/80 R14 for lower variants and 195/80 R15 for the top end. Will they have the same speedo readings at the same speed?

Top Bottom