Upsizing Alloy Wheels, Pros & Cons?

the answer is yes.upsizing of wheels would give differnt speedometre readings.for e.g, suppose before upsizing,at 2000 rpm the speed is 60 kmph and after upsizing the tyres the speed shown on speedometre would be around 65 kmph at the same 2000 rpm(i am giving only

even the distance covered readings would be different,i.e,even though your vehicle has travelled 10 kms but engine has not.

and talking about mileage i think it also gets affected.upsizing of tyres increases load on engine which decreases mileage.but on highways i think one can get more mileage beacause upsizing tyres acts as additional higher gear.(i may be wrong)but this also depends on somebody's driving

I know it's a 3 year old thread, but have some questions.

:help:Guys, I have a doubt. Since tyre upsize causes incorrect speedo readings, do manufacturers apply corrections across different variants of their cars?

Eg. Punto has 165/80 R14 for lower variants and 195/80 R15 for the top end. Will they have the same speedo readings at the same speed?
The top end OE size is 195/60 R14, which is almost same as lower variants of 165/80 R14.

Normally, the wheel sizes of any car will be same and no need for any corrections.
I too have this question. When Swift Top End variant comes with 15" Wheel, the other variants are just 14". Are these variants have the Speedo/ODO calibrated accordingly in factory itself?

Moreover, knowing the fact the upsizing to 15" is safe (as in Top variants), one can easily upsize and MASS should be capable of calibrating the Speedo accordingly right?

and talking about mileage i think it also gets affected.upsizing of tyres increases load on engine which decreases mileage.but on highways i think one can get more mileage beacause upsizing tyres acts as additional higher gear.(i may be wrong)but this also depends on somebody's driving
I always thought, +1 size may benefit in Mileage as the distance coverage would be more compared to the original size. Am I wrong?

I too have this question. When Swift Top End variant comes with 15" Wheel, the other variants are just 14". Are these variants have the Speedo/ODO calibrated accordingly in factory itself?

Moreover, knowing the fact the upsizing to 15" is safe (as in Top variants), one can easily upsize and MASS should be capable of calibrating the Speedo accordingly right?

I always thought, +1 size may benefit in Mileage as the distance coverage would be more compared to the original size. Am I wrong?
I think it should be possible! Haven't checked it out yet! But the error will be very minimal compared to 16" and higher! And yes to some extent even the sizes of the tyres are responsible for speedo errors especially if not upsized properly!

no they don't do any calibrating . if you see they have followed upsize guide nothing else . for fitting 15" in top model they have reduced sidewall height from 80 to 65 as well as to give bit wide tire . just use any upsize calculator you will find zero% difference .

no they don't do any calibrating . if you see they have followed upsize guide nothing else . for fitting 15" in top model they have reduced sidewall height from 80 to 65 as well as to give bit wide tire . just use any upsize calculator you will find zero% difference .
So you mean, basically they try to match both specs with minimal error? However, it being an OE fitment they can very well calibrate the meters right? Why wouldn't they do that even if the error is minimal? Just curious as I have heard people going to ASS and get their Speedo corrected after upsizing by themselves.

hi I have Alto k10..there is 13`inches Tyre. i would like to upgrade 14`inches ..but it is the right any problem if i upgrade to 14`inches i already install CNG kit on it And i always Carry the 4-5 people plus language . any problem to chassis and wheel Arch.

So you mean, basically they try to match both specs with minimal error? However, it being an OE fitment they can very well calibrate the meters right? Why wouldn't they do that even if the error is minimal? Just curious as I have heard people going to ASS and get their Speedo corrected after upsizing by themselves.
Not a single company does that every company follow upsize rule this decrease cost lot while manufacturing . Being manufacturer myself even small things make huge difference in cost .
About ASS I don't think they do calibration they just make you fool which I have confirmed
hi I have Alto k10..there is 13`inches Tyre. i would like to upgrade 14`inches ..but it is the right any problem if i upgrade to 14`inches i already install CNG kit on it And i always Carry the 4-5 people plus language . any problem to chassis and wheel Arch.
You will have to reduce your sidewall of tire else it will touch body lot on load

This thing was there in my mind while purchasing new car as I like big tyres (like all [:)]) and family choice SsangYong Rexton had 16" alloys while TF, PS, XUV all had 17" & Hyundai santa fe had 18" alloys.

While searching more, I found internationally, SsangYong Rexton lower variants have 16" alloys with 235/75 or 255/70 tyres, while higher variant had 18" alloys with 255/60 tyres. In India, Rexton all variants come with 235/75 R16 on 16" alloy wheels.
Now can I change stock wheels to 18" alloy + 255/60 tyres, without any problem? Should I import 18" alloys from SsangYong or can go with any 18" alloys available in India?

I am not worried about speedometer if odo speed will differ, as I can have speed & km info from GPS unit (might not be exact, but who drives as per ODO. We usually drive as per traffic or road conditions permit, except at high speed limits). But whether such wheel change (if wheel change is exact as international availability or as per Indian availability) will affect
fuel efficiency,
ride & handling quality,
braking abilities,
suspension parameters etc.
Thanks for the link.
While doing calculation on posted link, result is

Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/75-16 6.9in 14.9in 29.9in 93.9in 675 0.0%
255/60-18 6.0in 15.0in 30.0in 94.4in 671 0.6%

I think 255/60-18 will appear wider & but no big difference in size (as wheel size is increased 2" but sidewall decreased 0.9*2=1.8"), but what difference made between small alloy size + larger tyre profile & large alloy size + small tyre profile, as regards to ride, handling, brake, suspension, FE - for any car, except look if difference is minimal.

Last edited:
Hi.i have Beat LS model stock Tyre is not comfort on road i want to upgrade and up-size. can i up-size to 15"? any problem if i upsize the tyre ?[surprise] ,Generally i am not carrying The passenger .so what can i do..i also want alloy.which Tyre is better and alloy i have sandigraft gray color.

My driving condition Are

1.70% of highyway
2.20% of City
3.10% of Totally on bad road like off-Roading

Car Km on odo Now 16000km i want change ending This Year.. Reply soon as possible.

Last edited:

Top Bottom