Upgrading Stock Headlamp Bulbs. Suggest Legal Options.

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I am starting this thread just to enlighten myself and many others on this subject.
Most of our cars comes with 55/60 watt as a standard but on most occasions light produced by them is not sufficient during nights, specially when vehicals coming in opposite direction has a brighter light and happy driving in upper. But I know that such type of driving can be extremely dangerous to others.
So I wanted to know, what is the best upgrade without being selfish! I have heard that philips extreme vision+ and osram with 55/60w produce more light than the stack bulbs.
Some even fit 90/100 watt bulbs, with relay & other wiring changes.
Some even opt for white lights.
I have started this thread to discuss on legal/ illegal aspect of above or any other upgrades.
1. Are the 90/100W bulb legal?
2. Are white lights legal?

When someone is looking for stack bulbs upgrade, what is the best he can opt for considering all above. Isn't the safety of other passangers, our responsibility also?

Re: Information on stack head light upgrade - Whats legal/illegal.

Hi Sandy,
I respect your thoughts & concern regarding the bulbs upgrade. Here is my view

100/90 bulbs are illegal, this is what I have read in various forums till date. The normal bulbs are highly risky especially in cars like M800 & Alto where the seating height isn't that great (in terms of road visibility especially at night).

I use the Bosch wiring kit & relay with 100/90 bulbs, its an absolute must. if not then I should quit night driving completely. Most people do opt for this kind of setup as local ones are available from 450/- (wiring+relay) & bulbs start at 100/- a pair. If you opt for OSRAM or philips extreme vision the bulbs alone will cost almost 1200/- a pair (I dont think they need relay or seperate wiring). So cost factor does become the deciding factor.

OT: 100/90 bulbs are sufficiently bright most of the times, still some people prefer 130/110 bulbs etc which are too bright & produce lot more heat. May be they drive on roads which are fully dark at night or they want to tussle with oncoming vehicles with Highbeam.

Thread Starter #3

Thank you SS80 for your responce!
I am sure there must have been lot if discussions on this topic in other threads.
Lets gathther all the inpormation in this thread.

Mods: please join this thread with any other thread if already available!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sandeep, the stock wattage for headlamps is 55/60 and for fog lamps its 35 watts. But for Indian road conditions these are not sufficient. I use 100/90in headlamps and 100 watts bulbs in fogs.

As per gov't rules its 55/60 for 12volts electric system and 75/80 for 24volts electrical system.

change of I20 head lamps

I am planning to change my head lamps . As i have DRL's fitted , i want to match its colour to that of head lamp. The head lamp which is now there is Philips 130/100 with relay changed.
I dont need HID or Projector setup.
I just want to change my head lamp, so any bulb which gives white light is preferred.
Suggestions please.

Attachments

Re: change of I20 head lamps

I am planning to change my head lamps . As i have DRL's fitted , i want to match its colour to that of head lamp. The head lamp which is now there is Philips 130/100 with relay changed.
I dont need HID or Projector setup.
I just want to change my head lamp, so any bulb which gives white light is preferred.
Suggestions please.
you can get bulbs rated 4300K and above, hella white vision, philips diamond vision are some brand names, but white lights are not good during rainy days.

I will suggest Osram NightBreaker and Philips Xtreme Vision, both 60/55W. Philips claim they are 100% legal in all countries. Should not mess up the warranty either. Basically by using a heavier gas (Xenon) they are able to up the temperature of the filament and thus get about 50% more light.

As per gov't rules its 55/60 for 12volts electric system and 75/80 for 24volts electrical system.
Varun, can you share any reference to this? I don't seem to find a single reliable source to check and verify these specs...

i agree with sgiitk,
if you closely look at most of the indica cabs and tour cars they used 90/100 bulbs with relays and the car headlamp glass turns to black color sooner as the headlamp unit cant with stand the heat of 90/100 w bulbs

so stick to a better brightness 60/55W philips xtreme vision or osram as it wont need any modification and goes good with the stock headlamp setup

even if the car is in warranty or not, a minor error on electrical setup may burn the car in one not so fine day

Last edited:
Osram NB & Philips EV are good options for better light within legal limits...
I had written a short review of both in another thread here

Top Bottom