Upgrading from Alto K10 – Need a New Entry Level Sedan

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I have an Alto K10 and have been quite happy with it. It gives me an amazing mileage of 16 in city and 18-22 on highways depending on my driving but never below the averages i mentioned. It has not troubled me at all over the last 40k kms traveled in that car in bit more than a year. But i am considering buying a petrol sedan. I have driven my friend's Diesel Figo and Diesel Ritz regularly but the acceleration and noise in diesel engines are the reason for me going to petrol.
I have considered these -
1) vento/rapid
2) fluidic verna
3) maruti sx4
4) Ford fiesta/classic

I have removed maruti sx4 as the interiors are not so good compared to vento/rapid and doesnt have a rear ac vent. And it looks outdated.

I have not considered Fluidic Verna seriously as it has handling issues above 100 kmph.

I have removed ford fiesta and classic out of consideration as its too old and the new fiesta's design is not that appealing.

I have finally narrowed it down to Vento Petrol. But i am a bit of a rough driver and am concerned a bit about ground clearance. I dont usually slow down on road bumps or potholes. Thats one reason for eliminating Honda city. Need your advice on this part. I intend to use it regularly in cities with a monthly usage of around 1500 kms in cities. And sometimes it might reach upto 3000 km a month.

Are there any other alternatives for this. I was actually waiting for Lancer 2012 but seems its going to be very late. I plan to buy the car in January 2013.

I dont like SUV's or else i would have gone for Duster or XUV500.

Any advice is appreciated. [:)]

Re: Need a new entry level sedan

I am a little confused, you mentioned entry level sedan and you have verna on the list too, looks like you have a budget up to 10-12 lakhs or so, can you clarify ?

350Z

Core Team

I have driven my friend's Diesel Figo and Diesel Ritz regularly but the acceleration and noise in diesel engines are the reason for me going to petrol.
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. Your running looks to be on a higher side. Don’t let this be the sole reason for not considering them. Just test drive some diesel sedans.

I have finally narrowed it down to Vento Petrol. But i am a bit of a rough driver and am concerned a bit about ground clearance. I dont usually slow down on road bumps or potholes.
Ground clearance or not, any car can give up early if handled too harsh. Please make it a habit to slow down on those speed bumps. It’s there for a reason.

I have finally narrowed it down to Vento Petrol. Are there any other alternatives for this. I was actually waiting for Lancer 2012 but seems its going to be very late. I plan to buy the car in January 2013.
Yes. Vento is indeed a worth considering option. There‘s no concrete information about New Lancer in India though. Please list out the top five requirements (link) which would help us to recommend a more appropriate car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

If you want high GC car then only one car comes in my mind SX4, but as you have already ruled out, Need to see other car that have higher GC.

Thread Starter #5
I am a little confused, you mentioned entry level sedan and you have verna on the list too, looks like you have a budget up to 10-12 lakhs or so, can you clarify ?
Thanks for the reply. Budget is fine till 10 -12 lakhs not an issue. But cannot afford corolla etc slightly out of range.[:)]

Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. Your running looks to be on a higher side. Don’t let this be the sole reason for not considering them. Just test drive some diesel sedans.

Ground clearance or not, any car can give up early if handled too harsh. Please make it a habit to slow down on those speed bumps. It’s there for a reason.

Yes. Vento is indeed a worth considering option. There‘s no concrete information about New Lancer in India though. Please list out the top five requirements (link) which would help us to recommend a more appropriate car.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks for the reply. Sure will consider some diesels but petrol is a preferred option.

Ya i have recently been driving a bit cool and in a non rash manner. [:)]

Top 5 requirements -
comfort(lots of space, rear seating and comfort, bootspace, head room, shoulder room and leg room)
low maintenance(dont want to visit the dealer again and again)
decent power(should not be an underpowered car)
decent mileage of above 10 atleast
Decently equipped(I dont want to put any add-ons later on like music system, alloys etc)

If you want high GC car then only one car comes in my mind SX4, but as you have already ruled out, Need to see other car that have higher GC.
Thanks for the reply. SX4 is a good car but it is outdated i feel with respect to interior and engine. Maybe an upgraded sedan is required from Maruti that can compete with the other vendors.

I also considered linea but i have heard lot of people complaining about the rear seating and space and the engine is also an 1.4 liter in petrol. And Linea is a bit confusing product. They dont have emotion high end variant in petrol anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mr.ZerO,
Considering your annual run I would suggest you to prefer a diesel car.
Considering your requirements and your budget VW Vento Highline diesel would be a nice choice. Skoda Rapid also can be a worthy contender.
Else if you want a VFM sedan ,try the Swift Dzire ZDi and Ford Classic Titanium TDCi.
I would suggest you to TD all the cars and choose the one that fits your budget as well as satisfies you requirements.
Please do keep the thread updated !

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Vishnu for the reply. I often read not so good reviews on diesel cars so i was a bit concerned. But i am planning in January as there might be some good offers for new year and will take the time to think about it.
Thanks all. Suggestions are welcome.

Top Bottom