Unique Cost Cutting Gimmicks on Cars in India

Re: Cost Cutting Techniques on Cars in India

IMO ABS and Airbags can be cost cutting, This is related to safety and should be given as standard. If skoda gives it as a standard why cant other manufacturers ?

the tubes in my indica v2 was of poor quality that i had 1 puncture every week. the tyre repair fellows told me that it was due to the poor quality of the tubes as always the punctures occured at the joints. i rarely had apuncture once i changed all the 4 tubes.

hey guys i think one windshield wash sprayer also counts in cost cutting?? normal cars have got 2 of them!!

Spot on. How did everyone miss this. Anyway it is not so bad as you can upgrade.

Specially since it cant be retrofitted like better tyres.
But would that not void warranty if RPM meter is fitted. Due to some cutting of wires or tampering with engine.

Re: Cheap Cost Cutting Tricks For Cars in India

There have been too much of cost cutting in my BS4 Alto

Many things mentioned here was present in the older model:

1) No key lock in the left door.
2) Cheap stickers are being given instead of Badges.
3) Integrated Headrests(Very annoying).
4) Cheap insturment cluster and no temperature guage.
5) No ashtray.
6) No hub caps.
7) JK Tyres used(previous versions were using Bridgestone and MRF)

Not sure why this one hasn't popped up yet in this thread. Fortunately, that gives me a chance to say something[clap]

LHD Controls (Head Light/Indicator/Wipers) on Indian cars. Eg: Figo, Polo etc. Don't they know India is on RHD? Please. This not only a matter of comfort, but also makes us to feel we are owning a Low Cost Car...

In some of the cars, I have seen instrument cluster placed on the centre of the dash. Does this come under cost cutting?
Off course, it's a Cost Cut. Reasoning it as usablity for both LHD & RHD can be a valid argument... But just an argument. Ultimately, Cost Effectiveness is the motive of usablity.

M&M is on "TOP" list in Automobile world for "cost cutting".
For sure... I have mentioned about LHD controls above, which can one you get used to (like me[:D]). Logan has Wipers waving from RHS.[surprise] Wondering, are those wipers meant for the driver or co-driver? Also, how this car is sold pretty well with such a blunder? My biggest worry is, though I don't own it, how would I tackle any Logan coming opposite during rains.

There have been too much of cost cutting in my BS4 Alto

Many things mentioned here was present in the older model:

1) No key lock in the left door.

4) Cheap insturment cluster and no temperature guage.
This is very serious.
Are we deaf and blind that maruti is selling us cars with improper safety measures.
How much it cost a temperature gauge or does maruti wants sure business for every ASS setup.

I am afraid that every petrol station will provide a HG thermometer for alto owner to check the temperature. And gain the points in terms of customer satisfaction.

Some cost cutting measures:
1. Figo: Duplicate key is not remote operated but is standard on Fabia and Polo
2. Safety features: Fog Lamps doesn't cost bomb but can compromise safety during foggy winter nights
3. Plastic quality of interior fit and finish.
4. Steering mounted stereo control in C segment cars, do we need to mention
5. Alloy wheels are given on top variants but spare wheel isn't.

Q class (Etios and Liva) has got just one wiper so I am afraid to follow it in rains and if I see it from opposite direction I pray to god ‘please shrink me to cycle width’.

Looking at single wiper i always say 'Thanks' to Toyota for providing the windshield.

Logan has Wipers waving from RHS.[surprise] Wondering, are those wipers meant for the driver or co-driver? Also, how this car is sold pretty well with such a blunder? My biggest worry is, though I don't own it, how would I tackle any Logan coming opposite during rains.

This is very serious.
Are we deaf and blind that maruti is selling us cars with improper safety measures.
How much it cost a temperature gauge or does maruti wants sure business for every ASS setup.

I am afraid that every petrol station will provide a HG thermometer for alto owner to check the temperature. And gain the points in terms of customer satisfaction.
Even the fuel guage shows wrong amount of fuel,the older one was very good as i had seen those in my friend's car.

Thread Starter #29

350Z

Core Team

Looking at single wiper i always say 'Thanks' to Toyota for providing the windshield.
Hilarious statement. :biggrin: But that’s true. Toyota has disgustingly done serious cost cutting on Etios.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i don't know this fits as cost cutting!
1. removing small storage spaces in the dash! my wagonr has only a small cubby hole.
2. no clock
3. a curious fact when i bought 800 in 2001 it came with nut/bolt set for fixing the number plates, bu in the wagon r i had to buy them!
4. on factory fitted HU, cutting the USB feature

Last edited:

Top Bottom