Union Budget 2012: Everything About its Impact on Auto Sector

Re: Government Raises Tax Upto 25% For Diesel Cars

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer here and this is my first post. I own a diesel as well as a petrol car and hence my two pence of thoughts on this topic. Diesel cars give more mileage, hence consume less litters of fuel, leading to lesser import bills for the government. Diesel cars are less polluting than petrol, hence lesser strains for the government on the Eco front. I think actually we might end up saving a lot for the country by using diesel cars rather than using petrol cars. Why this myopic approach to tax diesel car buyers? Modern diesels are far more refined than our good old ambys are very good, in fact my dad could not even make out the difference sitting in the back seat..

Ha ha i am just wondering what would happen if Bajaj came out with a diesel bike saying "Pulsar ddsi 120" or a diesel bullet,guess it was called a taurus

Then most of the regular users would buy such two wheelers ,if diesel & petrol prices vary so much then what do you expect in a cost conscious economy, would not be surprised if some diesel Honda's are sold here in India in a few years !

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer here and this is my first post. I own a diesel as well as a petrol car and hence my two pence of thoughts on this topic. Diesel cars give more mileage, hence consume less litters of fuel, leading to lesser import bills for the government. Diesel cars are less polluting than petrol, hence lesser strains for the government on the Eco front. I think actually we might end up saving a lot for the country by using diesel cars rather than using petrol cars. Why this myopic approach to tax diesel car buyers? Modern diesels are far more refined than our good old ambys are very good, in fact my dad could not even make out the difference sitting in the back seat..

+100

This NGO (whose press release or news making attempt was the reason for this discussion to re start) called Center for Science and Environment (CSE) periodically does these kind of publicity stunts. They do it selectively and also pick and choose brand bashing for their publicity gimmick and exlanations are always vague when challanged.

Thread Starter #49

less pollution O_o after seeing all those hatch cars producing smoke like hell . about difference its major . petrol sweet and silent / diesel as usual silent in early days later just like normal diesel . freaking all swift cars in my area produce sound like truck .

As soon as i come near car i can tell its diesel or petrol . even seating inside . In UK Diesel and petrol rate are pretty much same but people prefer petrol

The diesel subsidy was meant for Buses and Trucks-public transport and transport of food and raw material-initially diesel technology was so poor no one wanted a diesel vehicle for personnel transport.Now however with diesel tech so much better AND the price difference between petrol and diesel so artificially high,things have changed rapidly.
What if diesel prices are decontrolled completely-we will have an increase in food and food grain immediately along with public transport-that is unlikely in my view
What if taxes are increased on diesel cars,SUV's,etc/ the cost of diesel for them is increased-well, that will be the cat among the pigeons- maruti, honda will be laughing and Tata and MM-....[anger]

Difference Between Petrol and Diesel | Difference Between

There is very less or no difference in the production cost of petrol or diesel. Govt. i guess should continue the subsidized diesel as it encourages people to buy diesel cars which give more mileage than petrol ones.

Even the diesel cars these days are much refined than some of the petrol cars. If we have to spend less amount of crude oil to run a vehicle, I think we should take our steps towards that direction...

Thread Starter #52

BTW i was with one of transport department officer yesterday . he said soon another hike in diesel car tax . this time it will be more as well as other state too planning same . Good thing i brought safari early

Guys,

This is exactly what I was trying to say. Cost of diesel or petrol is more or less same internationally.

Because of the mileage factor in diesel cars vs petrol cars, we import lesser diesel than petrol for cars. With the import of crude oil via the dollar hovering around 52rs, our govt doesn't mind spending valuable foreign exchange on importing more litres of petrol.*

Anyways, what i meant by lesser emissions is by my calculations that to cover a distance of 10kms, a petrol car consumes one litre of fuel, whereas. Diesel car consumes around 600ml only, hence the lesser emissions. *

As regards the engine sounds/ vibrations in a diesel car, lets be honest here. If petrol costs the same as diesel and gives the same mileage, then most would opt for petrol cars. Diesel is light on the pocket and hence the small compromise. I mean we compromise for a nano instead of a santro because its light on the wallet, we compromise for a city instead of the civic because its light on the wallet, the same logic applies here. It's just that with the latest diesel engines, the compromise is not that much.*

And please note, there are quite some people who prefer diesel cars irrespective of the price of diesel.
Bye * * *

Just herd that GOI is mulling to tax all diesel cars irrespective of their segments an additional 80 K Rs.This move will help car makers like Maruti and Hyundai while Mahindra and mostly tata will suffer most by this move, fingers crossed.

Very sad news for Bangaloreans going for Swift,Ritz VDI/ZDI after govt. Taxes on D cars [sad]

Ritz: LDi OTR: 6,29 Lacs ; VDi 6,54 Lacs.

Swift:LDi OTR: 6.60 L ; VDi 7.20 Lacs ; ZDI:8,10 Lacs.

It would be actually beneficial if the govt imposes this tax on all private diesel vehicles and exempt all yellow board diesel vehicles. This at-least would prevent common people from buying and guzzling low-cost diesel for private use.

But mark my words, this definitely is going to be followed by an enormous hike in petrol prices very soon...

It would be actually beneficial if the govt imposes this tax on all private diesel vehicles and exempt all yellow board diesel vehicles. This at-least would prevent common people from buying and guzzling low-cost diesel for private use.

But mark my words, this definitely is going to be followed by an enormous hike in petrol prices very soon...
Mate, how can you say diesel vehicles are fuel guzzlers? Please explain.

Mate, how can you say diesel vehicles are fuel guzzlers? Please explain.
I am not saying diesel vehicles are guzzlers, however due to the low fuel costs people tend to guzzle down fuel - obviously by driving more. I have known many people who do that. Just a simple visit to the grocery store and out goes the car. But if you look at all those Scorpios, Safaris, Fortuners - They are guzzlers anyday... [:)]

I beg to differ here! Then what will you say about the Accord's , Camry's and Superb's? They consume even more fuel than an SUV. I just find this bias against the SUV owners illogical.

Top Bottom