Union Budget 2012: Everything About its Impact on Auto Sector

Re: Government Raises Tax Upto 25% For Diesel Cars

Tata has announced price hike for commercial and passenger vehicles (Link). And this is the reaction of Mr. Vipin Sondhi, CEO, JCB India on National Budget 2012.

View attachment 44605

Drive Safe,
350Z

just want to ask 1 simple question -

"Why Govt. allowing auto Ind. to hiking price, while price already been hiked just one month ago - i.e.in Jan 2012" [confused]

instead of cutting subsidy why they don't cut down their own expenses....?[frustration]

can someone pl explain what about those people who booked car before budget & their "delivery expected in April 2012"[confused]

Although I'm happy that there is no diesel duty, Government indirectly promotes the sale of diesel cars making petrol car dearer and this also means more diesel usage by cars.

can someone pl explain what about those people who booked car before budget & their "delivery expected in April 2012"
You have to pay higher price, but confirm with dealer first. If you got invoice then that price will be paid.

You have to pay higher price, but confirm with dealer first. If you got invoice then that price will be paid.
[confused]Did not get any "Invoice" Booked "Skoda Rapid" on 12/03/2012 after assurance by dealer that he'll arrange car within a week (EDD 22/03/2012) & if I book by paying Rs. 50000 he assured he will give car to me in "Pre Budget" price.

I've only receipt of that booking amount & booking Agreement.

He insisted for full payment but my loan (DO) will be available on monday (19/03/2012).

What should I do if SE/Dealer not fulfill his commitment? Pl suggest.[confused]

Also Pl tell Is there any Price hike announcment from VV/Skoda. Or Any Idea?[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:

Although I'm happy that there is no diesel duty, Government indirectly promotes the sale of diesel cars making petrol car dearer and this also means more diesel usage by cars.
I feel the other way now. Diesel price will also shoot up (may be for pvt. car users) soon.

Re: Union Budget 2012: Everything About its Impact on Auto Sector (Pg. 8)

So people turn into diesel cars, hoping to reduce the running cost.
Now, incrementing the price of diesel cars, they are torturing the so called 'common Man'.
As usual most weird assumption .
generally common men rely on two wheeler (cheapest) and public transport, not cars.

One thing is ascertained , Govt is least interested in peoples affairs.

I have booked the car and would get it in a week. Will I have to pay the increased amount? [surprise]

Budget 2012-13 and Auto Industry:

Three Categories and three subcategoris in 1st two:

1. Petrol

A) <1200 CC and <4 M: 12 % excise duty (up from 10%)

B) <1500 CC and >4 M: 24 excise duty

C) > 1500 CC and >4 M: 27 % excise duty

2. Diesel

A) <1500 CC and <4 M: 12 %

B) <1500 CC and >4 M:24 %

C) >1500 and >4 Meter: 27 %

3. Suv: Priced more than $ 40000: Excise duty up from 60-75 %

At the moment dealers speculated a hike of Rs 80000 on diesel cars. Here is my take, anyone with monthly running of 550 kms should opt for diesel car at the current price point for five year ownership in case of hatch and medium size sedan [clap]

Guys govt. know that car owners don't vote for them and those who vote don't own cars and hence cars will cost little more. Moral of the story, start voting[cheers]

Unable to Understand, Unless exact figures (in Rs.) not available, or until we know what was the "exact value" when Excise was not been hiked....??? I don't think these figure will come out.

Anyway It seems very clear the strong presence of "Auto Lobby" in GOI....max. losses been recovered from them before 1'st april 2012 as they immediately starting price hike...while excise hike to be implement from next month...???

Govt. is sleeping...& Public has to pay for this...???

A genuine matter of SHAME for Govt. of India.
- Budget Proposed the same hike for FY 2012-12 (April 2012 to March 2013) & Auto. Industry started taking advantage from public immediately......!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuel Prices: No direct price increase, but we can hear the government talking about increasing petrol prices in the coming days, murmurs of slowly decontrolling diesel prices are also getting stronger. Expect to see the diesel prices go up and the trend to continue in the coming years

Extra tax on diesel cars: Breathe easy. No extra tax on diesel cars as of now.

Excise Duty: The government has increased the excise duty on cars. Here’s the impact on various segments

Luxury Cars: This segment will see the highest increment in prices. CBUs costing more than 40,000 dollars will have to face a flat 15% hike in excise duty. Shouldn’t impact the mainstream buyer much.

Cars over 4 meters: A 3% increase in the excise duty for cars falling out of the ‘Small Car’ definition. These are cars more than 4 meters in length and powered by a motor bigger than 1.2 liters for petrol, and 1.5 liter for diesel driven cars. Expect the prices to increase slightly.

Small cars: Cars coming under the Small Car definition will also witness a 2% increase in excise duty. Again, expect the prices to go up, but not as much as in the upper segments.

Hybrids and EVs: No change in tax structure for parts imported for the manufacture of such vehicles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Whats's your take on Hike in excise duty in Automotive Sector in recent Budget!!

Excise duty has been raised from 10% to 12% for cars under 1,500cc & for those above 1,500cc (that means SUVs) it will be 27%. For Luxury cars tax climbed from 60% to 75%!! Is this justified? How do you think it will affect the industry and prospective buyers!

350Z

Core Team

Note: Threads Merged.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Did not get any "Invoice" Booked "Skoda Rapid" on 12/03/2012 after assurance by dealer that he'll arrange car within a week (EDD 22/03/2012) & if I book by paying Rs. 50000 he assured he will give car to me in "Pre Budget" price.
Well the in this case you shroud get the car at pre-budget price as per commitment.
In worst case if they refuse to then threaten them about cancellation, this will surely help. If they still refuse then at-lest ask them about more free bees.

Top Bottom