Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Last week I did PDI of my new car. Everything is ok. But I haven't taken the delivery yet. Meanwhile dealer is insisting for several accessories, one of them is underbody/overbody coating. I am not buying any accessories from dealer. But he trying to convince me to go for this coating. He will charge me Rs. 3850 for that. How important is it? I am not at all convinced the reasons he told me to go for it. What does overbody coating means? Dealer says that its not Teflon coating it is much better than that. What is that? Does anybody knows what is this overbody coating and will it be helpful?

Even while taking the delivery of our santro the SA insisted on under-body coating and he succeeded in convincing me and did it without the idea whether it will help or not .

But as per him he claims the rusting will be less if a car is done with under-body treatment but my doubt is that if it will do so why does Hyundai is not doing it in the first place?

some experts please clarify.

I don know what is the over-body coating which is even better than the teflon coating , maybe experts in this field will help.

But underbody coating will surely prove to be helpful. It prevents the rusting of the underbody in the longer run. If Rs.3850 includes both underbody and overbody then go for it , though still price can be negotiated.

BTW can you tell us what reasons you were told by the SE?

@ Maximaas AFAIK only Polo is the cheapest car which comes with some galvanized under-body coating. The answer is simple , cost-cutting. The underbody wont rust very soon but still prevention is better than cure!

My bad [frustration] SandeepK is it underbody coating or overbody coating?

In my posting I am mentioning about underbody coating not overbody coating only sorry if Iam wrong.

@dhaya thank you for clarification but still a cost cutting for just 3000k dosent justify for a large company[angry] for a 4l car[confused]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
BTW can you tell us what reasons you were told by the SE?
Underbody:
It helps to prevent rusting of under body of the car and the engine bay.

Overbody:
It will help to preserve the shine of your car also it will safeguard the small scratches and comes with one year warranty.
The underbody wont rust very soon but still prevention is better than cure!
For a new car rusting won't be a problem at least for first few years, then why not to go for it after say 2-3 years?
How many of you did underbody coating while purchasing the car?

@ maximas007: My question is for both underbody and overbody?

Last edited:
I agree with the SE'S reason for the underbody coating though am not sure about the overbody coating!

Mine is a second hand car , the first owner had not done the underbody coating but i did it after purchasing the car!

If budget is a problem for you , you can do it maybe after two years. But i would suggest you to do it now itself as now is the time you can do some negotiations!

One point , the authorized service station wont do the underbody rust coating in the car if they find the car to be rusted even slightly later after few years!

well i dont think these underbody coating are helpfull most of the companies have already coated their cars so that they dont rust i remember reading fiat gives a five stage coating on its cars which includes anti rust then paint and clear coat .

Hi,

Last week I did PDI of my new car. Everything is ok. But I haven't taken the delivery yet. Meanwhile dealer is insisting for several accessories, one of them is underbody/overbody coating. I am not buying any accessories from dealer. But he trying to convince me to go for this coating. He will charge me Rs. 3850 for that. How important is it? I am not at all convinced the reasons he told me to go for it. What does overbody coating means? Dealer says that its not Teflon coating it is much better than that. What is that? Does anybody knows what is this overbody coating and will it be helpful?

Both are almost not necessary for present day car , though under body helps to keep dirt and mud away from direct contact though you have a galvanized under body!.

A underbody from 3M material must cost a max of 2200/-

And no one gonna drive without any scratch. it can/will happen some how in any car. [evil][evil]

Every car has a rubber material like thing under the body , even my marina had them . But not in lancer .

Prevention is better than cure , so just a 2 to 3K more for esteemed lack beauty

Under Body Coating: Queries

do they apply under body /antirust coating on main axle for cars. i got my indica vista antirust coating undr body done at tata authorised service but some how i dont see the axle being painted or dont know if it has worn out

350Z

Core Team
Re: Under Body Coating: Queries

One point , the authorized service station wont do the underbody rust coating in the car if they find the car to be rusted even slightly later after few years!
My 800 started showing signs of rusting (although very minor) under the body because it was left parked in the house almost entire monsoon for some reason a few years ago. I could have never figured out that until an authorized service station identified the issue and suggested immediate anti-rust coating. Anyways I would not risk this time with a new car. Getting anti-rust treatment done soon. Any suggestions for the recommended brands (Apart from 3M) and price quotes?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom