Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Re: Under Body Coating: Queries

Hi 350Z

I would recommend Waxoyl for both under body over 3M. Also from experience.. check after it has been done. Most of the time ASS is in such a hurry that they ignore spots/sections completely.

Also would suggest Inner panel treatment and paint protection but would depend where you park your car. If its a open garage and rains heavily in your part of the country, you can do this. probably in the 3rd year.
Also if you wax regularly, paint protection is not required.

350Z

Core Team

I would recommend Waxoyl for both under body over 3M. Also from experience.. check after it has been done. Most of the time ASS is in such a hurry that they ignore spots/sections completely.
Thanks Chayan. Gladly Ford also offers the option of Waxoyl Anti-Rust Treatment. How much I can expect to shell out in comparison with 3M? All the works on my car are performed under my presence and observation. This one will not be an exception.

Drive Safe,
350Z

How much I can expect to shell out in comparison with 3M?
Depends on the size of the car. HASS charged me Rs.3800/- (from memory) last March for 3M Under body coating of my Jazz. When I had enquired about Waxoyl (externally) I was quoted a similar amount.

We were charged Rs.4500 for under body coating with 5 year warranty for Dzire.

350Z,
Best if you can do it from Ford dealer himself.

One more thing guys, Under body coating does not cover the silencer, and there is a different coating for it. So if you are paying that much then confirm from SE whether silencer is covered in the coating or not. The reason why silencer have a different coating is; when car is in motion then the silencer becomes hot and the coating gets removed automatically due to the rising temperature. Generally the anti rust coating comes in warranty of 3 to 5 years and it can be done again 3 times during the warranty period free of cost.

Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

One more thing guys, Under body coating does not cover the silencer, and there is a different coating for it. So if you are paying that much then confirm from SE whether silencer is covered in the coating or not. The reason why silencer have a different coating is; when car is in motion then the silencer becomes hot and the coating gets removed automatically due to the rising temperature. Generally the anti rust coating comes in warranty of 3 to 5 years and it can be done again 3 times during the warranty period free of cost.
On the silencer, you generally coat it with a zinc spray. Technical term is cold galvanizing. It comes in spray cans (very much like deo spray but bigger cans), which they spray on the entire exhaust (not only the silencer, but from the engine end to the silencer tip). Durability is about a year and technically its a very easy thing to do.
Cost is about Rs.800 per can. If you can manage the can from somewhere; can have this done at the local garage.

Teflon Coating and Anti Rust Coating

My new car is going to be delivered next week.
I booked one Skoda Rapid Elegance Petrol MT colour Candy White.
The dealer in Siliguri is insisting for Teflon Coating and anti Rust Coating .
And the Bill will be Rs 3500/- each ie Rs 7000/- total .
I asked the Kolkata Dealer ( Same proprietor and I have not told them that Siliguri people says this ) -- The told me these are not at all required for any Skoda car .

Who is true ?
The Kolkata people or Siliguri people.

Hi Niladri
All new cars now a days have good galvanizing and hence generally it is not required. However that's in the ideal world. In the real world, you might go for 3M or Waxoyl underbody coating as they give you some sound insulation and minor protection from underbody scraping due to speed bumps. Once you underbody scrapes, the galvanized layer would be gone and there is chance for rust , specially in the monsoon. Hence it is necessary to have the underbody coating periodically checked during your routine servicing so that whatever has been scrapped off , is reapplied.

On the benefits of Teflon coating, generally not required in a new car. However would also depend where you park the car. If its under a tree or in the open, then yes, you should apply some sort of protection on your paint. Best is a wax polish every 3 months but few of us have that time. Next best (according to me) is Waxoyl paint protection which has an expected life of 3 years. Teflon is good however only stays 6-8 months and there are also duplicates in the market. Also 3M paint protection actually removes 0.5 micron of your original paint which should be avoided (again according to me).

So in short; go for underbody coating and whether you do paint protection or not depends upon how many feathered friends showers their gratitude on your car [:)]

Anti rust Coating for a new car

Is it better to do the anti rust coating before taking the delivery of the new car or to do the anti rust treatment after few years.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Anti rust Coating

Some say it's good but i never got anti-rust treatment in any of the car. I feel it's waste of money.

Anyways if you are expecting your new car , get anti rust if the dealer gives it for free , otherwise get it done from professionals like 3m etc. Service center guys don't do a good job it's what i feel.

And there's no point in getting treatment after some years unless you see rust under the body.

Re: Anti rust Coating

Its an all waste of money or a method to complete the monetary value in discount/freebies pack.

All manufacturers pre-treat the bodyshell of the cars with Anti-rust galvanizing coat.
Even India's cheapest car -Tata Nano, comes with the latter.

So, Its not at all needed for the cars of today's era.

Can anybody tell me from where to source the 3M coating and the cost involved
I want to get the coating done in my car from a garage outside as i think it will be much cheaper than ASS.

The 3M Under seal 1KG TIN costs only about Rs.340/- it is a bit difficult get it in the outside market. Some competitors for this brands are Rubberroid, Kent spray etc

A pitch gun is required to spray this, rubberroid can be mildly diluted by using Petrol, not sure about the 3m one though.

If you buy the item and get it sprayed at a local paintshop, total cost for a sedan would not even cost 1000.

A pic of the Rubberroid, 3m Underseal, pitch gun.
rubberoid (Rs.185/-)

3m underseal (Rs.340/-)
IMAG_0402.jpg
Pitch gun (not the same as the paint spray gun)

Top Bottom