Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Under Chassis Anit-rust Treatment

Hi Wheel frenzy guys....

I had this query about the necessity of Under Chassis Anti-rust Treatment (henceforth abbreviated as UCART, for the ease of typing it [;)]); so thought of starting a thread for the same.
@Mods: Please move this to an appropriate thread, if there is one already posted (I couldn't find one).

My Query: Is it really necessary of getting UCART done for vehicles in cities like Bangalore (primarily non-coastal places) ? I am getting my new Blue-eyed boy day after tomorrow, and this question is in my mind, to get UCART done or not ???
I had it done in my previous vehicle, but my cousin and couple of friends reprimanded me for spending money on such a thing. Their point is
> I am not a frequent vehicle user (my usage: under 300kms per month)
> I am not a frequent highway user (once in an year I might travel to my home town, else my highway usage is very very less)
then why spend on UCART. [roll]

Requesting the experts and experienced people to guide me.

Re: Under Chassis Anit-rust Treatment

Most of the cars made today have sufficient anti-corrosion treatment when they are rolled out of the factory. For a brand new vehicle an additional coating is not mandatory. One can get it done few years after the ownership (to keep thing right after some impact to the under body either by belly scrapping or excessive mud water splash)

Mr.Boss
Exactly sir,my accesories shop owner-A close friend,also adviced the same,if you want more glazing you may do teflon,else stock paint quality will be fine,also he added underbody is not at all required for new cars,he said a valid point to check the car during PDI and during delivery in the workshop ramp for underbody damages.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

My Query:Is it really necessary of getting UCART done for vehicles in cities like Bangalore (primarily non-coastal places) ?
I had it done in my previous vehicle, but my cousin and couple of friends reprimanded me for spending money on such a thing. Their point is
> I am not a frequent vehicle user (my usage: under 300kms per month)
then why spend on UCART.
Ashwin, the point highlighted in bold is the one I am concerned about dear. As you mentioned your monthly running is pretty less then in that case irrespective of climate, a stationary vehicle does begin to catch rust not just by salty water or moisture but even after being covered and all.

I have seen my relative's Maruti 800 develop rust around corners of running board and wheel arcs. That car in 14 years has run approx 13K kms. This is a major problem with cars that are less used.

The anti rust treatment is something that I believe should be done at time of buying the car itself since it gives peace of mind and protects the vehicle from unwarranted damage by rust.

Those cars which remain stationary most of the time need more maintenance than those which are used regularly. Don't go for external paint treatments but definitely consider the anti-rust treatment.

It is as simple as using termite treatment on wooden furniture prior to getting it infested by termites.

Regards

Akash

Oh...really....[surprise]
I never knew that stationery vehicles also get affected by rust.
In that case, I will have to rethink my decision. Based on what others here suggested, I was thinking of not going for UCART.

Thanks a lot mate, for informing about this issue. I would be grateful to this forum always as there so many experts here.[clap]

Eon Ashwin for Bangalore owned cars i don't think rust is going to be a problem unless and until you wash your car with bore well water which is not fit for drinking. and yes i Second most of the guys here who have earlier said that an immediate under body treatment is definitely not required. Buddy the company does take care of it. also only after 3-4 years you would really actually need it till then save some money if savings is hard send to me I'll save it for you[;)]

Thank you for the advice ... Incarnation.
But, what about Akash1886's advice ? He says that stationery vehicles too get the rust problem. Are you saying that vehicles in Bangalore should not have that issue ?
PS: I don't use borewell water for washing my vehicle.

Stationed vehicles which are prone to moisture and kept like 3 to 4 months may develop rust. This happens even after having a sufficient canopy.I had seen this happen to my old Alto (which was underbody coated,when taken from dealership) ,after 2 years of ownership in Kerala.I was travelling for 3 months and my brother had kept the vehicle back after a heavy monsoon drive,without cleaning the underbody .Even the running board started to rust. Anyway with some quick help from some service personnel and 10 K ,I came out of that. So, what Akash said is true ,if you keep the vehicle unattended without proper cover and in a high moisture area,there is a chance of rust. However,I would not recommend an underbody treatment for your car ,just because you are in Bangalore and there is no persistent rain here and no high moisture. Even if you want to do,do it outside dealership,as there are cheaper alternatives available.

Mr.Genralmax Kerala is again coastal. whereas Bangalore isn't. These are 2 diff Scenario's. In coastal are you do not run your car for a week there is chances of rust because coastal areas are humid and the air is full of salt. whereas Bangalore has dry climate no humidity whatsoever and for salt in the air that's far from being present. so i would suggest let the car age and probably after 5 years you shell out a few quids for under body treatment

corrosion and rust in cars body arises usually owing to bad finishing job by comaponies. honda is infamous for that. you should see the condition of honda city. it has more holes and more rust than normal body surface.

HONDA-facts:
1. The car is used every day.
2. The car is not garaged under open sky.
3. There are at least another 40 cars within the same area.
4. All use the same water for washing.
5. At least half the cars travel around the same area.
6. ONLY THE HONDA IS RUSTED!!!

Honda produces bad bad cars coz it does not care about quality control when it comes to antirusting measures.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

HONDA-facts:
1. The car is used every day.
2. The car is not garaged under open sky.
3. There are at least another 40 cars within the same area.
4. All use the same water for washing.
5. At least half the cars travel around the same area.
6. ONLY THE HONDA IS RUSTED!!!

Honda produces bad bad cars coz it does not care about quality control when it comes to antirusting measures.
I own a Honda City Ivtec since past 4 years. All those who live in Noida and NCR would agree that Noida's water quality is pathetic. I would like to say, rusting is not just due to water it is because of air's moisture, dust, leaving water in corners of hood and boot and even on running board edges and inside wheel well cladding. It is advisable never to let the car dry under direct sun after washing and avoid use of water on daily basis. 2-3 times in a week is sufficient. Also note, the cloth you may use should not be wet rather it should be moist enough to clean the dust and not leave water mark/spot on paint or panels. I got the 3M anti-rust done on day 1 itself and since then no issues of rusting. I am not aware of warranty of anti-rust, but that would be 2-3 years max. So, best way to keep the car protected from rust is avoid use of water and follow above suggestions.[:)] Even the thickest of metal shall rust if kept in poor conditions.

PS: Interesting user-name buddy!

Regards

Akash

Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Akash, you missed out on a vital point-that out of about 40 cars, same water, many with same cleaners, same methods, same environment, ONLY Honda is rusted.

Top Bottom