Ultra Cheap Door Damping Method

Thread Starter #1
please read the basics of door damping from here,
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/17519-detailed-guide-door-damping-diy.html

before continuing to read this thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used PU foam sheets.
http://202.67.224.137/pdimage/33/3948633_424424386_957.jpg

1) hard foam sheet 10mm (white as in picture)
2) soft foam shet 5mm ( greay )

i used RR , synthetic Rubber Adhesive paste for sticking over the panels.

http://3.imimg.com/data3/QN/SI/MY-4269280/fevicol-sr-998-250x250.jpg

how to :

1)clean the inner panels of door well using rubbing alcohol.
2)measure and cut the hard foam to stick inside side of panel , as shown in figure
3) apply adhesive (thin layer) to metal and correct side of sheet you have cut for sticking in.
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG

4) dont leave it dry more than 10 seconds.
5) here is the tricky part, the sheet will stick immediately after it gets contact, so slide it in properly to correct location and just use palm pressure to stick it.

DSC_0047.JPG

6) use 5mm sheet to cover outer area of door , for this you need to use a single sheet, for whole door, concept is not having air holes in between, for tighter bass.

7) make holes for wiring and door knobs.
8) apply paste to top most area of door, and stick from top to bottom , so you can know where to apply paste in sheet and leave blanks for places of holes in doors, completely seal the door holes using the sheet, as shown in picture.

results:

No words!!! ,
just awesome,
thud door close sound
tighter bass.
no bass vibration what so ever.

total cost i spent for this project
1000Rs. [glasses]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Amazing job as always, Mr Sting.
Doing this with dynamat or Wurth mats would have costed atleast 10k
And I believe it will also help with Sound and heat insulation (AC performance and road noise)

Great Job and thanks for sharing. [clap]

BTW, Do we need do this to all doors or the ones with having speakers only? 'Coz, few car models doesn't have provision for rear door speakers. And some comes with rear parcel trey speakers only.

@Stingray Good job!
Have a query for some time in my mind. Have you observed the sound when it rains,from inside Maruti cars? No, I am not talking about the sound of the rain,I am talking about the noise created on the top by rain hitting on the tin sheet above.It is really annoying. Heavy rains and its really difficult even to hear inside. Do you have any solution for that? I think you can find a solution.Can we use the same technique ?

@stingray , nice DIY brother [clap]
One of the most important advantage of doing this kind of DIYs is you can do it as per your budget and with perfection too.
OT: BTW can you comment on those JBL coaxial 's quality ?

Thread Starter #6
@Stingray Good job!
Have a query for some time in my mind. Have you observed the sound when it rains,from inside Maruti cars? No, I am not talking about the sound of the rain,I am talking about the noise created on the top by rain hitting on the tin sheet above.It is really annoying. Heavy rains and its really difficult even to hear inside. Do you have any solution for that? I think you can find a solution.Can we use the same technique ?
Yes , i know what you are saying.
Its my next step. In few days

@stingray , nice DIY brother [clap]
One of the most important advantage of doing this kind of DIYs is you can do it as per your budget and with perfection too.
OT: BTW can you comment on those JBL coaxial 's quality ?
Quality is super fine. Factory HU drives it like a charm.
Make sure. Speaker is near to grill, else sound may trap between panel gaps
Use spacer for those times.

link of PU foam sheets not opening please post another link bro. and where i can find that pu foam sheets i want to damp 2 front doors of my vista

Top Bottom