Tyre Tips and Maintenance

Ever Wondered What Do Those Numbers On Side Of Tires Mean? Mystery Solved

Ever looked at your car’s tyre and wondered what those alphanumeric codes mean? They are not just for the US Department of Transportation or the manufacturer to understand, you too can extract valuable information from them. Apart from brand, model and size there is more information than you think.

Type

First letter usually indicates the tire class. As LT means Light Truck and designates that the tyre is suitable for small payload trucks. Same way tyres for passenger cars are allotted the letter “P”

Section Width Tread(mm)

Next three digits account for the section width of the tyre. Section width is basically the width of the tyre from one side wall to the other.

Aspect Ratio

This actually tells you about the height of the side wall. An aspect ratio for example of 45 means that the side wall height is 45% of the section width.

Construction

This letter donates the construction. If it is R it means radian which means layers of fabric run radially across the tyre.

Wheel Diameter

This number is designated for the wheel diameter, which is usually given in inches.

SOURCE => Ever Wondered What Do Those Numbers On Side Of Tires Mean? Mystery Solved

Cheers,
Atul

Attachments

This post below may actually belong here.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-sector/3401-cheating-short-fuelling-tricks-petrol-pumps-17.html#post484821

Also has anybody faced the spanner slipping while opening any of the nuts on the wheel, while some say the nut edges may have worn and smoothed to a curve leading to the slipping others say the spanner might have a problem. IMHO the spanner should not slip while opening or tightening the wheel nuts which can become a quite a problem & delay.

Last edited:
Interesting thing happened with me recently, filled air pressure about ~600kms away from Bangalore at a highway BP company owned outlet while returning and asked to maintained 35 and even got down to ensure he did that. After returning a few days later checked air pressure at Shell pump and it showed 40 (psi!) in all tyres and the machine actually released 5 to bring it down to 35. Not sure why this huge difference & if they all follow PSI units? The interesting discovery was also that the vehicle gave 20% more mileage after the filling air on the highway. Either that reading on the highway was wrong or this one is the city is wrong. I need to find out. Any good places in Bangalore to get nitrogen filled quickly?

Last edited:
Interesting thing happened with me recently, filled air pressure about ~600kms away from Bangalore at a highway BP company owned outlet while returning and asked to maintained 35 and even got down to ensure he did that. After returning a few days later checked air pressure at Shell pump and it showed 40 (psi!) in all tyres and the machine actually released 5 to bring it down to 35. Not sure why this huge difference & if they all follow PSI units? The interesting discovery was also that the vehicle gave 20% more mileage after the filling air on the highway. Either that reading on the highway was wrong or this one is the city is wrong. I need to find out. Any good places in Bangalore to get nitrogen filled quickly?
A tip for all car users, I do not rely on the pump/road side tyre repair gauges, I carry a 100 bucks pen type gauge, which measures accurately.

You getting 20% more mileage could be due to many reasons, and excess air is one of them.

A tip for all car users, I do not rely on the pump/road side tyre repair gauges, I carry a 100 bucks pen type gauge, which measures accurately.
Its a good idea to carry a guage, used to carry one in the US where one has to fill air themselves mostly. in India it sound like too much work honestly but might well be worth it. I am inclined to think Shell was right in my case!

So whats next carry another meter/guage for the fuel being filled? [:)] I mean given that people believe most measures outside are unreliable one might end up carrying a bunch of gadgets if he cannot trust shops & outlets anymore!

Found a few online below anyways in case folks are interested.

Air Pressure Gauge - Buy Products Online at Best Price in India - All Categories | Flipkart.com

So whats next carry another meter/guage for the fuel being filled? [:)] I mean given that people believe most measures outside are unreliable one might end up carrying a bunch of gadgets if he cannot trust shops & outlets anymore!
Almost one year, I stopped myself get anything outside other than Fuel on regular basis....I checked / Fill my own air (1 Car and 2 Two Wheeler = 9 Tyre's) . So Far I got 2 portable Air Pumps in different power and 3 pressure gauge including the pen type. After getting self sufficient I need to fill less Air than when I depended service station / Shop.

Last edited:
Would you please share portable air pumps brand?[confused]
One of mine is Codio - but the model I got year ago already discontinued now and not all model are good though and Second one is Unbranded .

Search for Portable Air Pump in this forum and you will find more than one thread about review and discussions - Here some members bought Goodyear Pump (which is the only) comes with 6 months Warranty.

Last edited:
keep an eye on old tyre when riding on hot day at higher speeds. I was running a tyre with 35% tyre patten leftt. during my recent trip to hyd from chaot dennai i was riding at speeds of above 90 for prolonged time on hot day. the tyre is fully blunt after the trip. Never experienced such a wear

bhvm

Honoured Member
keep an eye on old tyre when riding on hot day at higher speeds. I was running a tyre with 35% tyre patten leftt. during my recent trip to hyd from chaot dennai i was riding at speeds of above 90 for prolonged time on hot day. the tyre is fully blunt after the trip. Never experienced such a wear
This is quite strange,
An old tyre might Puncture, Loose grip or just explode.
But going blunt after the trip?

Are you sure the pressures were correct?

Top Bottom