Tyre Tips and Maintenance

Sorry for this simple question, but what does 145/70/r13 mean? Can i go for fatter tyres without it touching/scraping the insides of my zen?
145 = Width of tire in millimetres.

70 = 'Aspect ratio' i.e., the height (sidewall only) of the tire expressed as a percentage of its width. In the case of a 145/70R13 tire, the height of the tire (sidewall only) would be 70% of 145 = 101.5 mm.

R = Radial

13 = To be mounted on a 13 inch (diameter) wheel rim.

In most cases, there'd be a 'P' added before the tire size e.g. P 145/70R13. This 'P' stands for Passenger Car.

For question number 2, it depends on how 'fat' you want to go.

Last edited:
@ Sam - Thanks, I wanted to try 155 or 165, but I am guess I may have to go for a lower height/ aspect so it doesn't scrape the sides. Varun told me he had a scraping issue. Your views?

Zens are not known to take wider tires nicely. However, you can safely go for 155/70R13. Going low is not advisable because the Zen has fragile rims; you may go for 155/65R13 but not lower than that. I think Apollo, Michelin, JK, Goodyear offer 155/70R13.

Interested in spending Rs.12000-15000 on tires for the Zen? I thought you wanted to chuck it and go for a Sierra or the likes [;)].

@ Sam - I take care of all my stuff. Even though I may sell the Zen, still I maintain her, polish once a month.. wax on, wax off. My right back tyre started wearing unevenly. My mechanic found that its brake kit was kaput. MASS never detected this problem.:@ Replaced it, new ignition wires & new sparks and the car runs so smooth that I don't feel like selling it.
M800 & zen owners' wishlist usually includes PS, PW & alloys with fat tyres.

My car finished 3 months last week, the tyres are running fine with nitrogen filled, so when do i fill nitrogen again? or what is the interval to fill nitrogen? I don't remember seeing that in an instruction manual.

My car finished 3 months last week, the tyres are running fine with nitrogen filled, so when do i fill nitrogen again? or what is the interval to fill nitrogen? I don't remember seeing that in an instruction manual.
Actually, theres no difference in frequency whether you fill air or nitrogen. Top up/check every 15 days once and before a long drive is advisable.
Take care that normally all gauges show lesser pressure (you will end up in filling high pressure). To be filled before start of your journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vishwas, nitrogen holds on longer than regular air. I have known instances where tires running on nitrogen maintain the same psi/kgm for 3 months. However, it would not hurt to check tire pressure every week, nitrogen or not in order to avoid surprises, surprises[;)].

Actually, theres no difference in frequency whether you fill air or nitrogen. Top up/check every 15 days once and before a long drive is advisable.
Take care that normally all gauges show lesser pressure (you will end up in filling high pressure). To be filled before start of your journey.
Vishwas, nitrogen holds on longer than regular air. I have known instances where tires running on nitrogen maintain the same psi/kgm for 3 months. However, it would not hurt to check tire pressure every week, nitrogen or not in order to avoid surprises, surprises[;)].
Well thanks, then i'd better fill the tires with normal air pressure, which i may have to continue with my old routine of getting it checked twice a month.

Well thanks, then i'd better fill the tires with normal air pressure, which i may have to continue with my old routine of getting it checked twice a month.
I do not see anything worthwhile in filling up nitrogen inside the tires of a humdrum everyday car. Nitrogen may be useful for racing/high performance cars that run high temperatures inside their tires by virtue of their usage.

Nitrogen should retain its pressure for 2/3 months. Do keep checking this. Whether or not you want to refill with nitrogen is of course your decision. By the way, how much did they charge you for the nitrogen fill? Most people charge around Rs. 20/30 per tire.

p.s.: Hope you are enjoying your Enjoy. Please answer this: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ficiency-figures-your-cars-29.html#post332686

I do not see anything worthwhile in filling up nitrogen inside the tires of a humdrum everyday car. Nitrogen may be useful for racing/high performance cars that run high temperatures inside their tires by virtue of their usage.

Nitrogen should retain its pressure for 2/3 months. Do keep checking this. Whether or not you want to refill with nitrogen is of course your decision. By the way, how much did they charge you for the nitrogen fill? Most people charge around Rs. 20/30 per tire.

p.s.: Hope you are enjoying your Enjoy. Please answer this: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ficiency-figures-your-cars-29.html#post332686
I haven't checked the air pressure of the car after it finished the first service where they mentioned they filled nitrogen and good to go for a month, usually these petrol bunks equipped with nitrogen charges 150 bucks for 5 tyres.

Last edited:

Top Bottom