Tyre Tips and Maintenance

Hey guys found out yesterday that the tyre pressure in my wheels increased from 30 to 39psi!!![surprise] In front wheels it was around 34 and the one of the rear wheels had 39psi!! I usually check when i fill my tank and always at the same place!!

I drive usually around 50kms in the highways in weekends at around 100-120kmph!! Is this because of driving in highways the tyre gets heated up and the pressure increases?? Anybody experienced this?? Is this any problem that needs to be rectified??
There is no problem at all. when the car is stationary or unused for a few hours the tyres are cold so pressure is less. when the car moves on hot roads and also because of friction and movement at high speeds, the tyres do get quite hot and therefore increase in pressure.All this is pretty normal. Important point is that the tyre pressure mentioned in the manuals is to be checked when tyres are cold.
This is practically not always possible so when filling air one should fill 10 percent more air .

Tyre life will depend on following factors:

Wheel Alignment condition

Suspension condition

Proper Tyre inflation

regular Tyre rotation

There is no problem at all. when the car is stationary or unused for a few hours the tyres are cold so pressure is less. when the car moves on hot roads and also because of friction and movement at high speeds, the tyres do get quite hot and therefore increase in pressure.All this is pretty normal. Important point is that the tyre pressure mentioned in the manuals is to be checked when tyres are cold.
This is practically not always possible so when filling air one should fill 10 percent more air .
A simple way to overcome this change in tyre pressure is using NITROGEN GAS in Tyre instead of normal Air.

Filling Tyres with Nitrogen not only marginally increases fuel efficiency but also keeps the tyres cool (as Nitrogen being a inert gas does not heat up) thus reducing wear & tear. A warmer rubber wears faster on road.

Moreover, the since Nitrogen temp remains constant & does not expand, the tyre pressure remains constant, there by causing even wear of tyres. Over inflated tyre wears from the center of the tyre tread while under inflated tyre wears from the edges of the tyre treads. Constant pressure results in even wear of the tyre.

Low Pressure

If you have been driving with under inflation (low pressure) the tires will be more worn on both the shoulders because an under inflated tire tends to lift up in the center of the tread when it is in use.

Excess Pressure

If the vehicle has been used with too much pressure (over inflation) the center of the tire will be more worn than the outside edges because an over inflated tire tends to be rounder and the outside is lifted off the ground.

Correct & Constant pressure will cause the tire to wear evenly across the entire tire.

Hey all,

Problem is the tyres on one side has lost its life, i.e they have become flat on one side all the four tyres. i had left my car for a regular service. the mech told that its because of the suspensions the tyres are being impacted. He suggested me to get the suspensions fixed from an outside garage. both the front and the back suspensions are gone.

Just wanted to know how much suspensions cost for a swift, and also wheel balancing and for tyre upgrades any good places to get them fixed in bangalore.

I have a scoprio and driven around 54k. Would like to know in general how much km a tyre can withstand in normal condition. IS it necessary to change all the tyres at once or is it good to change first 2 tyres and then 2 tyres? Please suggest

hello everyone, i am using tubeless tyres with alloys. yesterday i topped up with nitrogen in all 4 wheels and the previous pressure levels were ok, but today morning, while driving, i found that my rear left wheel was totally flat. Luckily there was a tyre shop just in front of me where i pulled off. On checking, we found no punctures in the tyres and air is leaking from the nozzle. He told that there could be issue with the pin(not released fully) in the nozzle and that I can still use it. Need your suggestions, opinions on this..

hello everyone, i am using tubeless tyres with alloys. yesterday i topped up with nitrogen in all 4 wheels and the previous pressure levels were ok, but today morning, while driving, i found that my rear left wheel was totally flat. Luckily there was a tyre shop just in front of me where i pulled off. On checking, we found no punctures in the tyres and air is leaking from the nozzle. He told that there could be issue with the pin(not released fully) in the nozzle and that I can still use it. Need your suggestions, opinions on this..
What a coincidence. Most of the time I hear the tire is flat and somebody stops they find a puncture shop nearby.

You can ask them to tighten the valve pin, Most probably it is loose. you can then try to put your finger over the valve and see if you feel the pressure of air release. or put some water or saliva and see bubbles coming out. If applying saliva have to wait for some more time to understand because already bubbles present in it. You may replace the valve pin too . hardly cost 10 rs and a 5 min job.

You can also check punctures yourself on the tires by using a small paint brush and keep applying the bursh with water on the tires. i have seen this done while i went to MRF tires shop when my tire was flat. i gues for the valve also you can also use the same method.

The puncture wala always charge a lot for the valves. In my area they have charge upto 150 - 300rs for just changing of vlaves. I have bought such valves myself for 40 rs from a wholesale shop. However there is lot of effort also in changing the vavles because they have to remove the tires and cut the valve from inside and fix a new one.

This is cool. There are some tire inflation level indicators available as well which change the color when the pressure is low. If you didn’t get what I’m saying, Look at the attached image;

Drive Safe,
350Z
Do you know if this is available in ebay, carware or any other online shops. Looks really interesting.[:)]

Battery - for the prevention of corrosion, one must clean the battery terminals from time to time and apply a light coat of grease. Check the level of distilled water in the battery and see that the plates are covered at all times.
Hi,

Good info.but never use grease at the terminals,better use some vaseline or any type of petrollium jelly.[:)]

Tyre safety & Tyre Maintenance

Introduction to Tyre Safety:

The failure to attend to tyre safety is a vital factor in thousands of road accidents every year. Research by the CSIR indicates that nearly 20% of accidents involving minibuses have tyre failure as a contributing factor. It won't help if you have the best brakes on the market, but your tyres are worn. When braking, the idea is to have sufficient friction between the road surface and tyre to bring the vehicle to a standstill. If the tyres are worn there will not be enough friction and the tyre will slide over the road surface, not stopping the vehicle. This is also true for handling and steer ability.

Basic rules about tyre safety:

Always spend time to ensure you have correct, safe tyres on your vehicle:

• Tyres should always be replaced with the same size designation as recommended by the vehicle or tyre manufacturer.
  • Tyre brand, size and tread pattern must be the same on each axle.
  • All four tyres should be of the same size, speed rating and construction (radial or cross ply).
  • Guard against used tyre imports, many of which are beyond retreading but are retreaded and sold illicitly. Similarly watch out for counterfeit tyres - illicit copies of respected brands. The advice is to always look for the SABS stamp of approval.
  • When two radial tyres are used with two cross ply, put the radials on the rear axle. In some cases (especially commercial vehicles) the manufacturer might recommend different-sized tyres for the front and rear axles.
  • Never assume that the tyres on your vehicle are correct, even if you have newly purchased it. Unless you bought new from an authorised dealer your vehicle may already be fitted with potentially lethal tyres.

Over inflation/ Under Inflation

• Over and under-inflation reduces tyre to road contact and shortens tyre life.
  • The tyre responds in the same manner to under inflation as to overloading.
  • The same applies to over inflation / under loading.
  • Over inflation / under loading: Reduces cushioning power of tyre. Tyre is more susceptible to impact, penetrations and abrasion. Reduced road-tyre contact. Negatively affects the handling characteristics of the vehicle. (Excessive centre wear.)
  • Under inflation / Overloading: The biggest single cause of "burst" tyres. Under inflation cases excessive flexing of the tyre sidewall which leads to overheating and ultimately, casing break-up and tread separation. Reduced tyre-road contact leads to poor handling and faster wear. (Excessive shoulder wear.)

Tyre Pressure

The importance of the correct pressure cannot be over-emphasised.

• Check tyre pressure, including the spare, once a week or before undertaking a long journey – or before 10 km have been driven.
  • Check tyre pressure early morning (low ambient temperature)
  • Always use a reliable pressure gauge
  • Only use tyre sizes recommended by the manufacturers at the recommended inflation pressure
  • If the pressure is too low it affects the tyre in a number of ways.
As speed rises, excessive contact patch deformation leads to a wave being formed in the tread, which generates excessive heat, causing structural damage or even tyre failure. The extra flexibility will affect steering behaviour, directional stability, durability and rolling resistance. Even occasional low pressure driving, or periodic vehicle overloading, may cause damage that only shows up much later as a blowout.

Inspecting the tyres / Driver Checklist for tyres

Tyres should be inspected often, and the following list highlights some of the faults to focus on:

• Check tyres regularly for punctures, penetrations, cuts and bulges.
  • Cuts in the tyre could permit damp to reach the casing plies. This is harmful for both textile and steel casings and will affect safety and tyre life.
  • Wheel alignment - misaligned wheels will lead to excessive tyre wear.
  • A worn steering mechanism, ball joints and wheel bearings will also reduce tyre life.
  • Consult your vehicle manual for the proper size and speed rating. Some tyres are now marked with letters to indicate their speed ratings. Tyre speed ratings do not imply that vehicles can be driven safely at the maximum speed for which the tyre is rated, particularly under adverse road and weather conditions, or if the vehicle has unusual characteristics.
  • One-sided wear. This takes various forms. A regular smooth band of wear all around the tyre on the inside or the outside of the tread is a sign of incorrect camber. Too much toe-in causes irregular one-sided wear.
  • Tread-centre wear. Regular wear of this kind is normally a sign of high tyre pressure. Driving fast for long distances may cause this on low-profile tyres, because traveling at 120 km/h wears a tyre out twice as fast as travelling at 70 km/h.
  • Inner- and outer-edge wear. If both inner and outer edges are worn, it usually implies that the tyres have been run at too low a pressure at normal speeds.
  • Irregular bald spotting. Known as cupping, this is usually caused by worn shock absorbers, worn suspension bushes, or even loose wheel bearings.
  • Missing valve caps should be replaced, since they are there to prevent dirt from clogging the valves, which could cause a loss of air pressure.
  • Torque wheel studs /nuts to correct setting when mounting new tyres - check for loose or missing wheel nuts.
  • Check tread depth on all tyres and replace well before they reach regulatory minimum depth of 1.00 mm to reduce the risk of aquaplaning on wet roads.

General Advice on Tyre Maintenance

• Tyres, sizes speed / load ratings must conform to the specifications in the Vehicle Owner’s Manual.
  • Check tyres and rims for any accidental damage after impacting with potholes/curb stones or other obstacles in the road.
  • Tyres, brakes, shock absorbers and rims should always be checked when servicing the vehicle.
  • Vehicle wheel alignment should be tested at regular intervals to obtain even tread wear and maximum service life.
  • No matter how good your car, or its tyres, this is not justification for breaking speed limits. If a tyre burst, do not apply the brakes; rather use the momentum and gears to slow down the vehicle. A sudden change in direction or braking will result in loss of control over the vehicle. Rather lose one rim than your car and probably your life!
  • Tyre rotation is a very contentious area, with some companies recommending it, other companies saying nothing, and BMW for one advising against it. Rotating the tyres regularly evens out the wear, but eventually all the tyres will have to be replaced at the same time, which is expensive.

Source:Arrivealive

Hi Guys, Recently changed all tyres in my octy to GY NCT5 Eagle as it was coming factory fitted with Octavia. But the reviews were not satisfactoty about GY NCT5 (side wall rupture etc etc..). Experts your suggestions pls.

Sorry for this simple question, but what does 145/70/r13 mean? Can i go for fatter tyres without it touching/scraping the insides of my zen?

Top Bottom