Tyre Change for Honda City ZX VTEC

Thread Starter #16
Yes it reduces slightly. And since you have said your car gets hit even now , i would suggest 185/65 to be on the safer side.

You can see the difference of height in the image shown in the tyre size calculator bro.
In the picture notified in website,

Between 175/65/14 and 195/60/14, the heights seems to be more or less the same

Between 175/65/14 and 185/65/14, the heights seems to increase, by this i hope and understand that I have better ground clearance than stock tyres, right ?

Oh ya okay since the difference is not very much then you can very well go even for 195/60 itself. And go for Michelin Xm1+ if you can afford it.

Thread Starter #18
Since you are on stock rims, stick with 185/65/14.

I would prefer MICHELIN Energy XM1+ which would give you superior ride quality for your ride.

Your question about A & C drives.

A is normal tire & everyday use tire.

C has an extra grip on wet track & preferable in rainy areas.

C drive has extra safety which you look for.

More concerned on safety ? then MICHELIN Pilot Preceda PP2

Do feel free to ask more questions if you have :)
Ufff Zinam that's wonderful info, but now you have me out into a even more difficult situation of finalizing on a particular Tyre.

Yeah as you say, I am looking at a Good stylish looking Tyre which in-turn translate superior handling, breaking and grip (70% during dry and 30% wet, as majority of the time we don't tend to drive fast during rain/ wet condition) and mainly less Tyre noise. Last and another important thing is the Tyre to run for at-least 35 to 40k kilometers.

1. C Drive
2. XM1+ or GIII
3. A Drive

Pilot Preceda has a very bad review record of people changing it in 5000 to 6000 kms or else would have considered that also.

Last edited:
Ufff Zinam that's wonderful info, but now you have me out into a even more difficult situation of finalizing on a particular Tyre.

Yeah as you say, I am looking at a Good stylish looking Tyre which in-turn translate superior handling, breaking and grip (70% during dry and 30% wet, as majority of the time we don't tend to drive fast during rain/ wet condition) and mainly less Tyre noise. Last and another important thing is the Tyre to run for at-least 35 to 40k kilometers.

1. C Drive
2. XM1+ or GIII
3. A Drive

Pilot Preceda has a very bad review record of people changing it in 5000 to 6000 kms or else would have considered that also.
Well IMO, If you want maximum tyre life drop, out Michellin as these tire's are soft and tend to wear out at a bit faster rate compared to Bridgestone and Yoko's. I have also seen that Most of the cars like the Altis, Linea etc do come shoded with Bridgestone as a factory Tyre, may be because Bridgestone has more life. And the cheapest of the lot is Yoko A drives. These tires will give you a kind of mixed performance and they are real VFM tire's. I am extremely happy with my A drives(195/65/R14) on my Swift Dzire in all the aspects. So the choice is yours - Bridgestone G3 or A -drives. My advise for you will be to go for 195/60/r14, as it will give you maximum pleasure to drive at triple digit speeds, cushioned ride, maximum contact patch will improve braking as well.[thumbsup]

I would suggest 195/60/14 GIIIs. Design looks good and the most important that size is readily available in GIIIs; atleast here in Mumbai. Regarding the tyre life, while buying GIIIs, the dealer told me that if rotated and aligned properly time to time, the tyre would last for more than 50k kms! [roll]
So my suggestion is GIIIs.

Thread Starter #21
Michelin-Bridgestone-Yokohoma Tyres Considered, have to short list from them, these are available both in 185/65/14 and 195/60/14

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Oh ya okay since the difference is not very much then you can very well go even for 195/60 itself. And go for Michelin Xm1+ if you can afford it.
Thanks Dhaya, whats your take on the life of XM1+ especially, I have heard mixed reviews about Michelin tires some say it works well until 35K and some say 15K onwards it starts to wear and in some rare cases 5 to 6K kilometers itself.

As in general Michelin tries have more usage of soft compound in them which makes the tyre look more sportier/ stylish but in terms of life it wears-out. Any first hand experience of some one who has used XM1+ in specific. Whats your take ?

I would suggest 195/60/14 GIIIs. Design looks good and the most important that size is readily available in GIIIs; atleast here in Mumbai. Regarding the tyre life, while buying GIIIs, the dealer told me that if rotated and aligned properly time to time, the tyre would last for more than 50k kms! [roll]
So my suggestion is GIIIs.
Thanks Gears1313, even I had the same feeling when it came to the Design/ threading bit .

Well IMO, If you want maximum tyre life drop, out Michellin as these tire's are soft and tend to wear out at a bit faster rate compared to Bridgestone and Yoko's. I have also seen that Most of the cars like the Altis, Linea etc do come shoded with Bridgestone as a factory Tyre, may be because Bridgestone has more life. And the cheapest of the lot is Yoko A drives. These tires will give you a kind of mixed performance and they are real VFM tire's. I am extremely happy with my A drives(195/65/R14) on my Swift Dzire in all the aspects. So the choice is yours - Bridgestone G3 or A -drives. My advise for you will be to go for 195/60/r14, as it will give you maximum pleasure to drive at triple digit speeds, cushioned ride, maximum contact patch will improve braking as well.[thumbsup]
A drives gets the best pick, even one of my friend has fixed it for his OHC and says it has amazing grip and handling on road.

Last edited:
A member said to me that earlier Michelins used to wear out quickly , now with Xm1+ they will last longer. A-Drives are VFM tyres which provide everything you need! GIII's i think will last longer of all the above but tyre noise will be on the higher side i guess.

Stock size is 175/65/14. Correct upgrades are: 185/65/14 & 195/60/14. Both are good. But 185 tires are cheaper than 195 tires. So its you call.
Increase in GC is barely 2 or 3 mm and doesn't make much difference. Even changes in FE is barely noticeable. But higher profile tires will change the character of your car.

Coming to tire brands, some are premium & some are VFM. Usually premium tires are less noisy & have better grip. Unless they are racing tires, most tires last 40K+ Kms. Go for one which suits your budget.

I am not really sure about Potenza GIII.

But if you need lower tyre noise you should stick with softer compunds, but again tyre wear will be on the higher side.

The best I can pick for you is Yoko A drive or XM1+ with 195s which will be a killer ride. [Both are intermediates & Tyre noise is lower]

C drive or Preceda is not really required unless you race in rain :)

Pick any one based on you budget & you will have longer miles with safety too.

Thread Starter #26
Any one heard of the Hankook Tyres ... how good are they ?? Tyre noise and ride quality ??

I saw them on one of the Honda City ZX which came for service at Whitefield Honda and it looked solid and amazing design, it was Hankook SR2 tyres (195/60/14) if I am not wrong

Hankook, i think, is a korean tyre.
They look good, but not very reliable. Most of the tyres are sporty in nature. The prices are also very nice.

And model would be RS2 (not SR2).

Hankook tyres comes as stock with Captiva! When i TD Captiva i found tyre noise to be minimal and ride quality was good too.

Sourcing Hankook tyres is a bit difficult in Chennai i guess.

Thread Starter #30
Spoke to one of the Hankook Dealers named Super Tyre World at J.C.Road, Bangalore. He is not quite in favor of those Tyres as describes good tyres in terms of Grip and looks but says they are not suitable for Indian Road Conditions, he termed it as those of good only on Highway/ Superway Rides and not for city driving.

any comments to this ?

Top Bottom