Tyre Burst in Mahindra Xylo!

Thread Starter #1
A cousin of a close friend of mine expired in an accident recently. Details are as below-

This incident happened in UP 3 days back. My friend's cousin & 3 of his friends were traveling in a mahindra xylo, bought in Feb 2009. they were on their way to the airport at the car was doing 80-90 kmph. suddenly the front right tyre bursts, the car skids & knocks off a motorcyclist, crashes against a big divider & topples 3-4 times to the opposite lane. a zen estilo coming from the opposite side again dashed this toppled xylo, the estilo was estimated to be at 90-100 kmph. it is said that all the occupants were safe till the xylo toppled. this guy (my friend's cousin) was seated in the back seat & the impact with the estilo caused many internal injuries to him. by the time the police arrived on the scene, this guy was still conscious but as medical help was not provided on time, the guy died on the way to the hospital, which was very far from the venue of accident. the estilo had 3 occupants & all of them died on the spot. other than this, there were 2 bystanders who came in the way of the toppling xylo, even they died on the spot.

now, what i wanted to know was-

1) what could be the reason for the tyre burst? since the vehicle was brand new, even the tyres were new.

2) as far as i know, xylos come with tubeless tyres & i was wondering, how could a tubeless tyre 'burst' leading to such a disastorous acccident? arent tubless tyres supposed to leak slowly?

3) who is to be blamed? mahindra or the tyre company?

Raj, sorry to hear this sad accident.May their soul rest in peace.
Very shocking to hear new vehicles tyre burst and flatterns out, cause tubeless tyres would leak slowly,so still i am wondering as well.Was only one tyre bursted or another one too, mostly chances of a weak or damaged tyre might cause this.

Well Raj,i have seen some new vehicles getting flatened out with couple of nails inside them, so yes possible on high speeds if thats the cause, also tyres might be damaged or not looked into before this.Like if there's air leaking slowly and on higher speed nail or something bursts inside and cuts either way inside, they might have bursted, and as you said car was in speed of 90Kph, so heated more and bursted and toppled.

Its a very sad news to hear just a tire burst caused this much disaster.My condolences to their family.

1) The reason for tire burst must be because of the over pressure or under pressure.
2) A sharp big object had penetrate and that could lead to sudden loss of air.
3) The driver exceeds the speed the tire is designed for.
4) Removing and replacing tires on rims can be dangerous. Attempting to mount tires with improper tools or procedures may result in a tire explosion causing serious personal injury or death.

Karthik.

Really sorry to hear this.

Apart form the fate nothing else can be blamed. If you have heard more such tyre burst incidents from xylo then we could have blamed Mahindra. I guess its the tyre company's mistake,must be a defected tyre or else there is no way for a tubeless could burst.

Thread Starter #7
Well Raj,i have seen some new vehicles getting flatened out with couple of nails inside them, so yes possible on high speeds if thats the cause, also tyres might be damaged or not looked into before this.Like if there's air leaking slowly and on higher speed nail or something bursts inside and cuts either way inside, they might have bursted, and as you said car was in speed of 90Kph, so heated more and bursted and toppled.
but isnt tubeless tyres supposed to improve safety as it is claimed that tubless tyres dont burst in the event of a puncture?

Its a very sad news to hear just a tire burst caused this much disaster.My condolences to their family.

1) The reason for tire burst must be because of the over pressure or under pressure.
2) A sharp big object had penetrate and that could lead to sudden loss of air.
3) The driver exceeds the speed the tire is designed for.
4) Removing and replacing tires on rims can be dangerous. Attempting to mount tires with improper tools or procedures may result in a tire explosion causing serious personal injury or death.

Karthik.
the car was at 90 kmph, so the driver dint exceed the speed limitations.
repairing tyres? the car was bought 7 months back!

Really sorry to hear this.

Apart form the fate nothing else can be blamed. If you have heard more such tyre burst incidents from xylo then we could have blamed Mahindra. I guess its the tyre company's mistake,must be a defected tyre or else there is no way for a tubeless could burst.
yes right, mahindra cannot be blamed.

even i was thinking under what circumstances can a tubeless tyre burst?

but isnt tubeless tyres supposed to improve safety as it is claimed that tubless tyres dont burst in the event of a puncture?
the car was at 90 kmph, so the driver dint exceed the speed limitations.
repairing tyres? the car was bought 7 months back!
yes right, mahindra cannot be blamed.

even i was thinking under what circumstances can a tubeless tyre burst?
Must be because of the over or under pressure.

Very sorry for the incident & Condolences to their family.

But this would be due to overtyre pressure.

Yes, tubeless tyres are supposed to minimize accidents but speed does count here!

Even my friends Tubeless tyres blown couple of times & he managed in 50 - 60Kmph & stopped the car by hitting the medians!

But 90 counts here & this is the main reason!!

As said its all fate & no one to blame :(

napster

Suspended
the reasons might be the tyre pressure, its temperature, previous punctures etc..many things count and specially the speed, and there might also be a chance that the tire might be a faulty one, cant say, anything might have happened.
may their souls rest in peace

My condolences to their family
90 kmph in xylo is a dangerous speed, because the vehicle is too heavy and huge. difficult to stop suddenly. Anyway it's a lesson for all of us to be more precautious and to check our tyres often.
May their souls rest in peance

Sad to hear about the incident. How can a tubeless tyre burst? the tyre could have been damaged or faulty. Or the pressure inside is high. But what's the explanation given by experts or mahindra for the accident?

May there souls rest in peace

Tubeless tyre bursting is a very rare case.

I feel over pressure must be the problem.

90 kmph isn't a high speed for xylo
My cruises 115kmph in 800 and 145 in my marina and 135 in my estilo.
In any car i do 100+.
Note all these cars are small in all content comparing to xylo.

Tyres do have manufacturing defect
1. like air bubble in them .
2.thickness improper,

These may also be the culprit.

Top Bottom