Tyre Blow Outs Serious Issue Now a Days

Thread Starter #1
Guys its really a Bad news to know that SAM KAPASI (a k a Yeti) is not among us now[cry][cry][cry], i came to know about this yesterday.

It was an accident
- Accident due to a tyre burst on the Expressway.
- Sam's Father was with them too. He is fine.
- Sam suffered a head injury from hitting the A / B Pillar. They had to cut the seat belt to remove Sam from the car.

Just because news like these increasing these days, i am starting this thread so as to make ourselves aware and how to avoid tire blow outs which are becoming common these days.

Re: Tire Blow Outs Serious Issue Now a Days

Thanks for starting this thread. Can we somehow find out details about the make/model/year of the vehicle, tire make/model/age and the speed of the vehicle at the time of tire blow out.

I am a bit surprised that he hit the A/B pillar due to a tire blow out.

That is very sad.

Tyre bursts are happening in Mumbai - Pune Expressway because of high speed. Tyres gets overheated at high speeds due to the concrete surface unlike other highways.

Two possible solutions for minimising the risk of tyre burst are:

1. Maintain recommanded speeds (Its displayed promptly throughtout the Expressway.

2. Fill Nitrogen in tyres instead of air.
With nitrogen, overheating of tyres are controlled to an extent.

So, sorry to hear that news.
All I know is the car which Sam was in, was a Land Rover.

So many tyre bursting incidents have reported from Yamuna express highway also. Reasons are high speeds and roads with high friction.

We need to follow some basic rules to avoid tire blow-ups. In India the awareness is minimal among the masses regarding this and many common issues. Even the mechanics are not too strict about the vehicle parameters (tied to road worthiness).

Tire blowing up on concrete highways is not a common problem in western countries because people generally follow rules (you pay thru your nose if you're caught violating rules and risk losing your license in some cases). On the other hand if the road has a genuine problem that causes accidents you could sue the local government and expect justice.

Important points:
- Check your speed rating on your tires. Be aware of the limits of your tires. Most tires are not meant for speeds over 150-170 in India (yeah the rating reads 160-180 but you don't want to test that). As the tire gets older or slightly defective the rating usually won't hold good. Also check the ratings on the spare tire (if you happen to be riding on that). Some manufacturers will provide a spare tire with minimum rating.
- Check the amount of tread you have. Don't take a chance with old tires. The ratings don't hold any good on old tires (with less than minimum required tread depth).
- Check tire pressure from a good tire shop. Not all tire pressure meters are equal.
- Don't overload your vehicle. A lot of vehicles are overloaded unlike in western countries. Example: 6 people in a 5-seater car with tons of luggage. Base your driving speed a bit on the running weight of the vehicle.
- While driving at any speed check if your vehicle is wobbling/shaking etc., I've seen some people drive very fast even while their vehicle seems to be unstable for an onlooker.
- Check engine temperature on the dashboard. If the needle is even slightly higher, reduce speed and take care of the situation. Engine temperature sometimes is relative to the stress that the tires might be bearing. Example: over speeding in the desert.

Hope this helps.

Its really sad to hear this news.

On normal driving conditions what speed range can be considered as SAFE. With regards to tyre blow-out , anything below 100 kmph can be considered as safe speed ?

Sad to hear and see such kind of incidents. These are on the rise in recent times. We can go and check out few things mentioned in previous posts. But honestly what should be the max kms limit that we should change old tires on our cars. As I have seen many friends using tires till 50k kms also because of 'chalta hai' attitude.

Guys its really a Bad news to know that SAM KAPASI (a k a Yeti) is not among us now[cry][cry][cry], i came to know about this yesterday.

It was an accident
- Sam suffered a head injury from hitting the A / B Pillar. They had to cut the seat belt to remove Sam from the car.
RIP Sam. I came across the news of his sad demise last week. Indeed his departure has left a huge void in lives of many. May God give strength to his family to bear this pain.

Just because news like these increasing these days, i am starting this thread so as to make ourselves aware and how to avoid tire blow outs which are becoming common these days.
Yes, off late the incident of tire burst on express highways has increased. Although tire change at proper intervals is best way to avoid such incidents, however driving at low speeds can lower the risk of such accidents turning fatal.

Guys its really a Bad news to know that SAM KAPASI (a k a Yeti) is not among us now, i came to know about this yesterday.
I came to know about his demise about 5-6 days bac and no doubt it's a huge loss.I am amongst the fans of Yetiblogs...

It was an accident
Tyre bursts at high speeds need very patient and very well balanced inputs from driver and if the car is an SUV like his Land Rover Discovery(Not the latest,some 20 years old model it was I guess)then the situation is even more dangerous and of course handful too.

I have experienced tyre blowout just once in my life and that also due to a BIG puncture,so you can't call it a true blowout also.I experienced it in a friend's Honda City(2006 type) at a speed of about 100 kph and what I followed was an instruction given to me in my initial driving days by my chauffy(he just told me how should one proceed with sudden punctures or blowouts).What I was told is as follows:

Front tyre:
As soon as the blowout happens,the car looses all the balance thing and tries to move in the direction of the blown tyre.
  • Mistake people make:Steer hard in opposite direction and apply full or say hard brakes.
  • Result of mistake:Car ends up either overturning or colliding with anything if space is not adequate.In some cases it is found that following traffic also hit the car resulting in major accidents.
  • Scientific reason:Hard brakes always result in weight shift to front wheels and the blown tyre and normal tyre have very different weight distribution on them in this case.Also hard steering inputs result in even more disturbance in already disturbed weight distribution also the difference in grip levels never allow the vehicle to come again in straight or desired direction.
  • What to do then?As we say "Hero is the person who took right decision at right time" and since mind 90% of times refuses to work at the time of need and in such situations it becomes even tougher to take wise decisions but still here is what I am taught:
    1):Apply light brakes at first,never apply hard ones.
    2):Let the car move in the direction it's going if there is nothing and let it get stabilized,it takes just half a second.Now try to stop it as it is.
    3):In case there is something in front and you can't let the car move in the direction it's going then,under light braking give very light steering inputs until the car is in a state where you can apply brakes slightly harder.
    4):In case the car is still moving straight then it's advisable not to apply brakes and let the car slow down using engine brakes.

In our case the car was on a wide turn and hence I allowed it to get stabilized and then stopped it.There were some rubber marks on road,none else.

Rear tyre:
  • Very simple,leave the accelerator and apply slight brakes and with slight steering inputs park the car.
  • In case of RWD cars,don't forget to leave the throttle completely.

Last edited:
hi,
Very bad news to hear about a fellow member. Anyone can be in that situation.

Thanks a ton to Mr Vipul for some good points and others also share their experiences so that we can have a clear idea what to do when a tyre bursts.

Its really sad to hear this news.

On normal driving conditions what speed range can be considered as SAFE. With regards to tyre blow-out , anything below 100 kmph can be considered as safe speed ?
As I mentioned, go by the speed rating on your tires and the quality of the highway and "traffic/fellow-vehicles/road-sense" (assuming ALL other parameters are very good).

In India generally I would be very very careful while driving over 100kmph. You never know. Anything could happen. A tire burst could happen even due to bad roads.

There is no straight answer to your question. Yes, if we had highways like western countries then you sure will know the answer while driving. There you could follow the basic parameters and derive the speed.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a sad news for all his followers. I love his blogs. Anyone has the full details of the incident? I tried to find but in vain. Let his soul rest in peace.

As mentioned by Vipul, our brain freezes 90% of time during panic situations. All we need to do is stay calm and try to bring our vehicle to halt as mentioned above.

Oh !! it seems to be really a bad news. I pray god to give his family members the strength and courage to face this situation and pray for his soul to rest in peace.

After reading all the above valuable suggestions, still I would like to make one here. Whatever is the tyre speed rating and vehicle's capacity to cruise, always try to drive in a safe green speed zone as life is more valuable than speed or car.[cry]

Top Bottom