Type of Petrol

Thread Starter #1
guyz till now i was using normal petrol from a company owned BP outlet for my 97' M800 carburetor version. but somehow i feel that it could perform better if i fill in Power or speed premium petrols..

what do u all think? any M800 owners using these fuels? what difference have you all felt.

i was going through some blogs, and i found out that if your car or bike has a high compression ratio, it is advisable to use premium(speed/power) petrols. it reduces knocking and pre ignition. and i also can across some blogs where peopla mentioned that unless n until your car or bike is a MPFI engine, these petrols wont do any good.

now my confusion is that does the octane rating of premium fuels depend on compression ratios, or does it depend on the type of engine (carb or mpfi) or both??

and BTW, my fuel leaking problem has been solved..

Hey buddy when the M -800 was manufactured there were no premium fuels.
When one is already paying more for Normal petrol, These premium fuel would rip your pocket totally.

Here in Bangalore it 69.80 for Premium Petrol.
paying close to 70 litre.

Normal petrol and diesel are enough for any car , even for a bmw.

If you are so particular , for mpfi engines , just add petrol additive for one full tank ,err once in 4 months. that is thrice a year , it cost 400 a can from wurth .

For carburated one , just buy a carb spray , disassemble the carb , spray this , and fix again.
do this once a year.

Thread Starter #5
ilango[speed thirst];66913 said:
Normal petrol and diesel are enough for any car , even for a bmw.

If you are so particular , for mpfi engines , just add petrol additive for one full tank ,err once in 4 months. that is thrice a year , it cost 400 a can from wurth .

For carburated one , just buy a carb spray , disassemble the carb , spray this , and fix again.
do this once a year.

actually my car has a very bad starting prob, specially when cold. i mean it starts in one key turn, but i have to keep on fluctuating the accelerator for a few secs. you wont believe, my car never starts when choke is applied!!!!!!!

and when i start w/o choke(as mentioned above) and w/o using the acc pedal, the engine shuts down.

so this is the main reason for me to fill in speed petrol, as they say, there are addictive which clean the carb/engine..
-----------Next Post-----------
Hey buddy when the M -800 was manufactured there were no premium fuels.
When one is already paying more for Normal petrol, These premium fuel would rip your pocket totally.

Here in Bangalore it 69.80 for Premium Petrol.
paying close to 70 litre.
dude in pune its 65.93Rs for a litre of premium petrol!!! its 2.5Rs more than normal petrol.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
ilango[speed thirst];66934 said:
Bad starting problem has nothing to do with fuel.
clean and overhaul the carb.
check the entire car .

normal fuel is enough to start in cold.
dude my car starts in one turn of the key, but i have to use the acc pedal for the engine to stay alive. now if i dont, the engine dies down.

in the above post of mine what i wanted to say is that, when the engine fires up i have to warm up the engine a bit(using the acc pedal) for almost 30 secs. now when i take the car out, as soon as i put it in 2nd gear from 1st gear, there is a kind of sluggishness feeling(engine does not respond to the amount of fuel that goes into the engine through usage of acc pedal) from the engine (cold engine). so i hv to continue driving in 2nd for a few secs. similar for 3rd and 4th gears. Now when the engine becomes hot enough, this sluggishness behavior of the engine disappears. This is my actual problem which i tried to explain in my prev post.

Now people claim that Power/speed have additives that clean the carb/engine. so isnt it obvious that if my prob is with the carb, the addictives present in the fuel would, to a certain extent, help in cleaning/removing dirt from the carb??

Last edited:
Initial warming up of engine need to be done manually in carburated version. and carb should be adjusted when engine is warm/hot

So your post say that there is no fault in your car.

Thread Starter #9
ilango[speed thirst];67022 said:
Initial warming up of engine need to be done manually in carburated version. and carb should be adjusted when engine is warm/hot

So your post say that there is no fault in your car.
and one more funny thing is, my car never starts when i apply choke!!!!

Now what could be the prob??

the car get good ratio of mix. too much of petrol is needed only in very cold condition.

choke use is almost not needed.

Hope the car need only a carb overhaul.
just open up carb , part by part.
get a carb spray.
get the carb kit for 800 , that has all rubber 'o' ring and other gasket things.

clean well with spray.
set and adjust.

err before doing this just adjust the air and petrol screws. May be the life in garage sounds me too much. simple things may help lot of times :)

Thread Starter #11
ilango[speed thirst];67110 said:
the car get good ratio of mix. too much of petrol is needed only in very cold condition.

choke use is almost not needed.

Hope the car need only a carb overhaul.
just open up carb , part by part.
get a carb spray.
get the carb kit for 800 , that has all rubber 'o' ring and other gasket things.

clean well with spray.
set and adjust.

err before doing this just adjust the air and petrol screws. May be the life in garage sounds me too much. simple things may help lot of times :)
I am thinking of opening up the carb for a complete service....The car has been with me for 14yrs, and i have never ever serviced the carb!!! so i think its high time to do it... atleast i would get rid of the starting prob....
i get an avg of 15kmpl in city and in highway it goes up to almost 20kmpl...so is it a good avg considering the age of the car and the fact that the carb has never been overhauled?!?!

Should i overhaul the carb at the ASS or from a local mechanic?.. as far as i remember the ASS had quoted a rate of 450/- for overhauling which i guess includes the gaskets and all....

guyz till now i was using normal petrol from a company owned BP outlet for my 97' M800 carburetor version. but somehow i feel that it could perform better if i fill in Power or speed premium petrols..

what do u all think? any M800 owners using these fuels? what difference have you all felt.

i was going through some blogs, and i found out that if your car or bike has a high compression ratio, it is advisable to use premium(speed/power) petrols. it reduces knocking and pre ignition. and i also can across some blogs where peopla mentioned that unless n until your car or bike is a MPFI engine, these petrols wont do any good.

now my confusion is that does the octane rating of premium fuels depend on compression ratios, or does it depend on the type of engine (carb or mpfi) or both??

and BTW, my fuel leaking problem has been solved..
there is no big difference between these fuels. normal petrol will be more than sufficient and specially when prices are touching sky i can imagine filling branded fuel!!

I personally beleive your model doesn't require premium petrol.

Just get your car to your MASS & get it checked. Problem is with Carb & you can get that corrected at a nominal price.

Top Bottom