TVS Star Sport - Long Term Ownership Review (Now Sold)

Thread Starter #1
Hi buddies,

Here is my longterm ownership review of TVS Star Sport

It was during the year 2007, when i felt it's the right time to say bye bye to my 3 year old TVS Max 100 R. Loved the performance of the 2 stroke mean machine, but worried about the mileage (since depending on my Dad's pocket by that time) Wanted bike that could deliver me atleast 65+ kmpl and easy to maintain.

My family zeroed at TVS as we had a nice relationship with TVS Dealership from 1998 when we bought TVS 50 XL.

The worst scenario is that my brother offered to get me nothing more than a 100cc bike[frustration] on seeing some of my stunts at Max 100 R.

Myself and my brother went to the dealership on the same evening. I was left out with only two choices, Star City & Star Sport. Somehow I was attracted by the looks of Star Sport, that too in Silver Grey color. Taken the delivery of the bike on the same day.

Here comes the ownership review.
Throughout the ownership of about 4 years, she was under my perfect care and love. Abused a lot, but the same time maintained her with atmost care tackle up the next abuse.

Odo Reading : 28750
List of problems faced:
1) Horn stopped functioning within 3 months after buying & got replaced under warranty
2) Faced starting trouble problem after 2nd free service, which was then fixed up by the dealership
3) Battery went dead after 2 years (vehicle was left unused for about 2 months) - Installed new Exide battery

List of modifications done:
1) Alloys and Chain cover was Black Powder Coated
2) Installed Short Handle Bars, which gave the riding posture similar to Yamaha R15
3) Rear Suspension height increased by 40mm
4) Installed Yamaha RX Rear Chain Sprocket (i think it was 36tooth, correct me if I'm wrong)
5) Removed the Engine bore and head & replaced with a used Star City cylinders and pistons (it was rebored to 120cc, not sure about the pistons. Mechanic sourced it on his own)
6) Installed Free Flow Exhaust (So called 'diffuser' in mechanic's slang)

I was happy with the performance of the bike, as I used to do 100+kmph rides without much pressure.
The best and worst mileage were 65kmpl & 52kmpl after all these mods and 74kmpl & 58kmpl when she was in stock condition.

After completing my college days, restored the engine to stock condition and fitted the original silencer.
Here are some of her photos taken few months back[clap]

Attachments

Re: TVS Star Sport - Long Term Ownership Thread : 28000kms / 4+years

Nice bike Mr. Boss, it is neatly maintained even after so many years of use. Congrats for that.
The alloys in black look good. What was the use of free flow exhaust?

Thread Starter #3

Nice bike Mr. Boss, it is neatly maintained even after so many years of use. Congrats for that.
The alloys in black look good. What was the use of free flow exhaust?
Thank you safire90!
FFE will boost the performance of the bike, where as in my case I still doubt what I procured and installed is a FFE[lol] that gave me a loud exhaust note (which I wanted actually[;)])
It was during my college days, so no clear idea on the subject. Fully dependant on mechanic's word.

Excellent write up Mr.Boss. At the same time, kudos for your efforts to transform a regular commuter into a hot ride. She looks new even after 3 years!
And what about FFE? Was it installed just to have that awesome exhaust note?
Also what about the filter, are you still running on stock filter or aftermarket performance one?

Thread Starter #5

Excellent write up Mr.Boss. At the same time, kudos for your efforts to transform a regular commuter into a hot ride. She looks new even after 3 years!
And what about FFE? Was it installed just to have that awesome exhaust note?
Also what about the filter, are you still running on stock filter or aftermarket performance one?
Thanks Akash,
I care this bike more than my car. Daily wipes, weekly wash, monthly polish[:D] quarterly service, etc
Some sentimental attachments. My Lady Love would any time prefer this bike than car[;)]

FFE was installed only for the exhaust note, also I was unaware of performance boost by that time.
She is running on her stock filters till date.

Thread Starter #6

Update
Presently the bike is in Chennai (I have another Star Sport, same color and purchased on same day at home now)
Odo reading: 31k

Recent Updates:
-Bike for all sides scratched during her travel all the way from Coimbatore to Chennai (Not driven, loaded on the rear deck of Volvo bus)
-Big dent on Fuel Tank
-Front LH indicator broken

I went mad on seeing the bike in this condition. Transporter promised me for safe delivery without a single scratch. I didn't spoke a single word, taken the delivery and returned home.

Got the following works done
-Got new Battery (AMCO)
-Replaced the broken indicator
-Replaced Rectifier
-Installed Roots Wind tone horns
-Changed engine oil (ELF)

Checked FE today (tank full) and surprised to get the figure of 70+[surprise]
Filled the tank with 30337km on odo and today it is 30741 and tank full was with 5.73L which gave me 70.33kmpl[clap]
Bike is used only for short runs, 5km to-and-fro from home to railway station everyday and once driven from Tambaram-Thiruvanmiyur-Adayar-Saidapet-Tambaram. Almost 80% of driving is on/less than 3rd gear. Quite impressd with the FE she delivered.

It's a very good bike. Excellent low end torque, best fuel efficiency, cheapest spares and lowest buying price. I would risk my neck out and say that this is the best value for money commuter bike available in the country. It only TVS could improve upon building it's brand value. Wishing you many more miles of trouble free commuting.

Nice review buddy, this is one underrated product, personally i didn't like the sticker's on the headlamp(no offence meant)

Good write up Mr.Boss,

The Black alloys are looks cool for you star.

How much it costs?

Thread Starter #11

Nice review buddy, this is one underrated product, personally i didn't like the sticker's on the headlamp(no offence meant)
Stickering was done during my college days, didn't removed yet.

Good write up Mr.Boss,

The Black alloys are looks cool for you star.

How much it costs?
Thanks dude. Alloys were powder coated. I remember I paid 700 Rs for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if your bike completes 100000 kms on stock bore. Just maintain her well as per the service schedule. Do you have any photos of your bike with the FFE and other paraphernalia?

Thread Starter #13

Do you have any photos of your bike with the FFE and other paraphernalia?
[cry] Had some photos in my PC, which I sold without taking back-up (because it was a nice deal, which I wanted to dispose immediately)

Thread Starter #14

Posting after a long gap.

Latest update: Sold the bike yesterday [roll] for 2 reasons.

1) My friend urgently needed a economic bike, but he couldn't afford a brand new one due to his other commitments.

2) Loooong term desire & RX fever. Got a sweet deal, 1998 RX 135 yesterday [:D]. Will start a new thread after getting her in hands (may be tonight or tomorrow morning)

Mods: Please update the thread title to "Sold"

Top Bottom