TVS Scooty Pep+ 9 Years & 76K Kms: Long-Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
This scooter served us for past 7 years as my Dad's daily ride and for past 6 months, it is used by my better half (Yamaha Ray became dad's ride now)

About the vehicle
Make: TVS
Model: Scooty Pep+
Color: Red + Silver
Year: 2007
No.of owners: Single

Purchase Background
Though we have 4+ cars in the family, my Dad don't drive 4 wheeler and doctor advised him not to use geared vehicles (some nerve problem, he shouldn't stress his foot by frequent usage of gears and brake) So left with the choice of gearless scooters.

When we decided to get a new vehicle, we had the below 2 wheelers at home
- 2004 TVS XL Super (used by Dad)
- 2004 TVS Scooty ES (for Bhabhi)
- 2004 TVS Max 100R (Bro's spare bike)
- 2003 TVS Max 100R (my daily ride)

One could notice all the vehicles are of same age. We used to change our rides once in 3~4 years irrespective of the mileage (to be frank, we are forced with love to change the vehicles by TVS dealer) Except the Scooty ES (which covered less than 3k km) in the above list, other vehicles are replaced with 07 Scooty Pep, 07 Star Sport, 07 Star Sport respectively.

Another point to notice is 2 Max100Rs were replaced by 2 Star Sports. Myself and Brother (elder) had 2 TVS 50 XLs, 2 Max100Rs, 2 Star Sports. After that he stopped using 2 wheelers and I keep on changing my rides.

Requirement:
* Gearless Scooter
* Light weight
* Soft Suspension
* Economic (FE + maintenance)
* Wide seat
* TVS brand preferred

Though the last point isn't a mandatory criteria, dad used to be TVS customer from 1995 (ever since the dealership was opened in our town, right from day 1) and we had/have a very good relationship with that particular dealership. I remember those days I never paid them for the service, they will collect the money from my dad at home on weekends. Even we have taken delivery of bikes without paying anything / without submitting any documents. Everything is processed at our home 2 or 3 days later. Till date whenever my Dad visit them, the only person to attend him will be the Owner (be it new vehicle purchase or the current vehicle service)

With the above criteria, we are left with the only option of Scooty Pep and this beauty joined our family on 1st Mar 2007.

Added Accessories
- Indicator buzzer
- Body protectors

Ownership review
Covered 70k km in 7 years, with
- 3 sets of tyres
- 2 or 3 batteries (couldn't recall)
- Approx 1500 liters of Petrol
- Engine is untouched (touch-wood)
- Drive belt complete assy replaced a year ago
- Front fork serviced twice

- Fuel Efficient (Best: 58kmpl, worst: 42kmpl)
- Super soft rear suspension*
- Wider seat
- Practical storage area
- Good lighting

Dislikes:
- Poor braking (worse than Scooty ES)
- Super soft rear Suspension*
- Not sturdy on windy days / highway drives

Soft suspension is both +ve & -ve. Gives comfort on country roads for solo rides, whereas with a pillion it scraps every humps and ride becomes so bouncy.

Some sweet & sour memories:
- On weekends almost everyone in family (except Mom) will use this vehicle (we are so much fond of driving it)
- My nephews prefer Scooty pep over other vehicles at home (may be due to the bright color)
- Wider seat was enjoyed by Mom and the old couple started travelling together for shopping / temples
- This scooter is considered to be one of the luckiest and had a great attachment with everyone in family (that's the reason to have it still)

- Met with an accident once and all the plastic parts were replaced (it was parked on the road side and a TATA Ace hit the vehicle, loosing control)
- Mom & Dad fell once, when avoiding a dog hit
- 2 punctures made my Dad push the vehicle for about 5 km (could have been avoided, either by calling our driver or mechanic. but Dad is a kind of person never depend on someone / hate disturbing others)
- Vehicle was scratch-less till last September. When I taken her to Chennai, I was almost like crying when I was her with broken body panels, scratches in every panel. Thanks to the transporter.

From Sep'2013 she got retired (Gifted my Dad Yamaha Ray)
Overall we are very much satisfied with the vehicle and we still love it.

Adding few snaps.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: TVS Scooty Pep+ 7 years & 70k km : Long-term ownership review

Recent Service Update:
Odo: 70800km (Couple of weeks back and the previous service was at 66k km)
- Transmission Oil change : Motul Semi-synthetic
- Fork Oil + Oil seal change (LH fork started leaking) : Endurance Oil + OE Oil seals
- Carburetor cleaning
- Brake cleaning (Didn't change the shoes, they are left with a good life)
- Water Wash

Didn't touch the battery as it is less than 6 months old

Entire process took less than 5 hours and costed 700 INR

In this 70k km, she never visited any garage outside TVS.A.S.S and this is the first service done at a private garage (the one where I restored my couple of RXs)

Observation after service:
- No major change in engine behavior (or I failed to observe) except for a improved acceleration
- Braking improved significantly
- Ride quality improved drastically (front suspension)

Hi,
Nice to see a small pep clocking a good mileage in the stock Engine setup.
Wishes for your future runs to touch the 5 digit mark without issues.

Note : I believe this thread can be moved to "Two Wheels" Section.

happy riding

Scooty with 70k kms is far far maintained
First thumps up for that!!
Then u mentioned about braking
I too own 2010 scooty pep+
I would do front wheelie with those front brakes ..( Stock brake pads)
Also rear will lock up if i am too hard with it
With two passengers brakes pretty well than my bike
Because the brake pad diameter is less shorter than tyre it will break faster than bikes because tyre will take one rotation say brake pad covers 1/1.2
Where bikes brakes are smaller than tyre size it will only move 1/4 of tyre rotation
To brake
U can see why super bikes have bigger disk brakes its just to get diameter of wheel size so for small movement in wheel breaks also move equal distance .
Why i am saying this is because u must be having good breaking distances
Better upgrade to tvs original break pads! Will work good !!

I too have changed front suspension oil seals many times :D

Due to Rear suspension hits all speed breakers but i used to give a throttle in when speed breaker is in between wheels
It works !!
Enjoy
But front lights are not up to mark very puny
Cant upgrade also . unique bulb

Enjoy happy ride!!

Thread Starter #5

Nice to see a small pep clocking a good mileage in the stock Engine setup.
Wishes for your future runs to touch the 5 digit mark without issues.
Thanks Sirji.
Current usage is limited to 5~6km / day. So it won't be clocking a high mileage in near future.

Scooty with 70k kms is far far maintained
First thumps up for that!!
Thanks man. Credit goes to my Dad.

Then u mentioned about braking
I too own 2010 scooty pep+ I would do front wheelie with those front brakes ..( Stock brake pads) Also rear will lock up if i am too hard with it With two passengers brakes pretty well than my bike
Better upgrade to tvs original break pads! Will work good !!
Happy to hear the braking performance is good in your vehicle. In our case the story / history continues from day 1. Tried changing the brake shoes (OE always) and it works like charm for few days and deteriorates after 2~3k km.

Because the brake pad diameter is less shorter than tyre it will break faster than bikes because tyre will take one rotation say brake pad covers 1/1.2
Where bikes brakes are smaller than tyre size it will only move 1/4 of tyre rotation To brake U can see why super bikes have bigger disk brakes its just to get diameter of wheel size so for small movement in wheel breaks also move equal distance.
Couldn't understand the logic.
I hope you are supposed to compare the linear distance the the tyre covered vs brake shoe/drum contact rather then the rotational comparison. When tyres completed 1 rotation, the brake drum will also cover the same.

Thread Starter #6
Re: TVS Scooty Pep+ 7 Years & 70K Kms: Long-Term Ownership Review

Clicked 6 months ago, at my hometown.
Both scooters posing together

Attachments

Last edited:

Thanks Sirji.
Current usage is limited to 5~6km / day. So it won't be clocking a high mileage in near future.

Thanks man. Credit goes to my Dad.

Happy to hear the braking performance is good in your vehicle. In our case the story / history continues from day 1. Tried changing the brake shoes (OE always) and it works like charm for few days and deteriorates after 2~3k km.

Couldn't understand the logic.
I hope you are supposed to compare the linear distance the the tyre covered vs brake shoe/drum contact rather then the rotational comparison. When tyres completed 1 rotation, the brake drum will also cover the same.
Yes i mentioned the linear distance of the brake and tyres !!
May be the brake cables and calipers be defect .
Do scooty had cold start problems??
I do have at morning's

any tick tick sound from engine or near cooling fan??
i used to have. it will be equal to engine rpm
then
drive belt i changed from tvs to roll on i am not getting sudden pick up due to thickness of belt
but in tvs if i hold front brakes and stand without sitting and i give a pump to throttle it will do wheelie,but not now [cry]
but now its like driving a activa that slow pickup with reduced rpm
where mechanic suggested this belt
where it will give more control in throttle and good engine and clutch life
also 1 major issue
oil leak from belt and clutch assembly
used to notice in all scooty
i recently changed the gasket now its ok but in some days its getting leak 1
any issues like so??

Thread Starter #10

any tick tick sound from engine or near cooling fan??
i used to have. it will be equal to engine rpm
No such noise.

drive belt i changed from tvs to roll on i am not getting sudden pick up due to thickness of belt
IMO Belt thickness has got nothing to do with the drive ratio. Is there a change in belt width?

but in tvs if i hold front brakes and stand without sitting and i give a pump to throttle it will do wheelie,but not now [cry]
Why holding brakes for a wheelie?

also 1 major issue
oil leak from belt and clutch assembly, used to notice in all scooty. i recently changed the gasket now its ok but in some days its getting leak 1. any issues like so??
I don't have any oil leak issues.

Thread Starter #11

Update : Scooter Sold
Close to 10 years and 76k+ on odo (covered only 6k km in past 3 years)

Reason for sale : We have a 2012 Scooty Streak within family, covered around 5k km and hardly used in past 1 year.

Excellent write up Boss. Hats off to your dad's awesome maintanence. Difficult to find a Pep with that long of numbers as 76k+.

I was working with TVS in 2003-2005 when Scooty PEP EXECUTIVE & Scooty Pep Deluxe. They were 70cc engines and I was selling them [clap]

Then we got PEP+ with 90cc engine in 2006-07.

Personally I am a fan of TVS bikes and currently own a New 2016 Victor (New Gen) since September 2016 and have crossed 15k on odo with no major issues though I find the second gear almost non existent..

Top Bottom