Trying to trade in my new i10 asta auto for a used car - A wise decision??

AMG

Suspended
Re: Trying to trade in my new i10 asta auto for a used car -- A wise decision??

I still feel that an Octy RS or a Fiesta 1.6 S would be the best suited for the purpose.

Thread Starter #17

dhaya -- 'Steering rattle poses a security risk', is a true statement. In this case the steering suddenly gets jammed and refuses to move (read the EPS failure). Many i10's have this problem. Hyundai haven't yet mastered the art of EPS. Hence almost all newer cars from Hyundai stable has this issue. And Indian roads adds to it.

AMG -- Tried searching for octy RS. Didn't find one in Pune

Cortina -- Auto astar is not on the list. looking for used SX4 or new alto k10 or any other car that is trouble free.

octi vrs will be in 4L budget. my advice stay out!

lancer and ohc are far better. agree old gen looks esp in interior.

Thread Starter #19

One more point regarding $$.

My i10 will fetch 5 lacs. Bought it for 585000 in Sep 2009. So I lose 85k. The petrol costs for me are almost 6k per month.

If i buy an alto k10 it will come @4lacs in Pune. The estimated petrol cost for me would be @3k per month.

I thought doing the math just to see the savings if at all they exist?
In case of SX4 this calculation does not stand valid.

@cooldhaya -I agree with you that a used car if maintained properly should be trouble free but I feel this applies to less than three year old cars with moderate mileage ( 12 -17000 Km /year)

@amiti - go for Alto K10 - Don't think twice if you don't mind missing Airbags and ABS.Anyhow you will save 1 lakh rupees which can be put to better use later.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team

Dear All,

Part I -->>It's been a year and four months I have bought my i10 auto asta. Few months back the classic steering rattle ( a tak tak kar tak sound while going on bad roads) started on my car. It's a design flaw actually. To get it sorted I went to highest authority. They promised me entire rack change, but I honestly feel that will only complicate problems.
Rest my car's mileage is good, its easy to drive.

part II -->> After this I thought of selling it off and going for
1. New alto k10 vxi
2. Used SX4 VVT
3. Used Dzire / new Dzire, petrol/diesel
4. Mod my i10 and put in alloys and fatter tires and live with the steering rattle.
5. Wait for new swift (though I hate rattles)

I like problem free cars. Having driven almost across the globe, brand is not an issue, nor I want to show off.

Seeking your help in arriving a decision. I do lots of highway drives. Covered 21000 in year and 4 months on my i10 auto.
Hi Amit, Thanks for the separate thread. Now let’s have a comprehensive discussion on this topic. My advice will remain the same – drop out the Alto K10 from your list because first off, it’ll be highly used on the highways so the car should be solid, spacious and comfortable. You can consider upgrading to i20 (It’ll fetch loyalty bonus) or wait for the New Suzuki Swift. As you told that peace of mind is the top-most priority, I don’t think hunting for Pre-owned would be wise, and then struggle with issues later. Of course, it does make an immediate wallet-sense but only if you are ready for a thorough research and can wait. I don’t know about the Mitsubishi after sales network in Pune, but a pre-owned Cedia makes totally worth it. Sure, it’s hard to find but the looks, space, and driving pleasure will only leave you impressed. Don’t miss one if you come across any because the biggest advantage is that it carries a very poor resale value. A Sports variant (2007 – 2008) ranges from anywhere under Rs.5.5 Lakhs, whereas the others (Select / Spirit) can be bought for as low as Rs.4 Lakhs. Make sure to go through this thread before inspecting a second hand car: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #22

Thanks for your comments, Vibhor. I was also thinking on similar lines. Then the only choice left is SX4. Old or new is the only question. In Pune I have a friend who works at one of the maruti dealers. As per him people are selling their petrol SX4 and buying diesel ones. Hence the chances of getting good car are more. Hence I zeroed down to used SX4. If I wont get a used one, I may go in for new SX4.

I had always liked cedia sports. However there is only one dealer in Pune and these cars are hard to find here.

Hyundai cars are out of question. Pune has pathetic A.S.S. with Hyundai and lately I have seen ( with my own eyes) new car parts taken out and put in other cars without any guilt feeling and seems a standard practice due to lack of availability of spares.You wont beleive, when I went for filter change, they didn't had a air filter in stock for i10. Hence any hyundai is a strict NO.

So let see, keep your suggestions/comments coming till I find a better car.

SX4 is indeed good car except its mileage is not that much good . i think maruti cars will be good for you .

Even i20's have steering rattles. I am not a master in this subject but hey, why not a used honda city? (non vtec).

350Z

Core Team

I don’t know but considering the top-most requirement of owning a trouble-free car, I’d want to recommend buying new. Not that second hands are problematic but only to stay on the safer side...unless you are getting something as interesting as the Cedia (Though only after thorough inspection). Maruti SX4 is a nice deal too but don’t forget that people are selling it off for a reason, which is precisely the low fuel efficiency. Would you be able to live with it, being aware that Petrol prices are only touching sky and you have extremely high usage? Please wait for the New Swift / DZire, or you may also consider getting a C-Segment sedan such as upcoming New Ford Fiesta (Releasing in a couple of months).

Even i20's have steering rattles. I am not a master in this subject but hey, why not a used honda city? (non vtec).
This sounds a worthwhile option too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #26

I do agree with you Vibhor. Lets see, I have just started my hunt. I can wait for new swift. Anyways how is the performance of sx4 diesel? Is it worth considering?

@fusion -- not interested for used honda. People here have their hondas with them for more than 5 years.

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended

Do you want to change your car because you are bored of the auto gearbox, or are you just smitten by the "I am bored, lets change" bug.

If it is the former, then its fine.

But if it is the later, the i10 auto is a really decent car.

My suggestion: Keep unless you are really desperate for a manual.

Thread Starter #29

I want to change because of steering rattle issue. No other problem. Otherwise I like my car. Regarding auto, I don't have an issue. Also no EMI's on my car. Only cost is of petrol @6000 INR as a drive a lot.

No I am not desperate for manual gear box.

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG

Suspended

I dont think it is worthwhile to change just because of such a negligible issue.

I know you will say it is not a small issue, etc etc.

But you are just over-hyping the rattle issue, IMO.

Top Bottom