Trip to Kanyakumari: A Travelogue

Thread Starter #16
@ white-rhino

Long drives are fun. We really get to drive the car as we would like to. Away from the mad Bangalore traffic. On the highway you can either drive slow, say in the 80s or 90s, or fast say 120/140 depending upon your mood and the road condition.

Most of the National highways are good, so you don't have to worry about potholes and concentrate only on the traffic.

I, for one, love to drive and wouldn't mind driving long hours. (max done so far is 12 hours with stops for breakfast and lunch)

BTW, I am married and my wife also likes long drives, (though she does not drive), as long as I take care of the expense. [:)] The only problem is for her also to get leave.

Valparai trip was planned on Friday the 26th of aug as 31 and 1st were holidays. We took Monday and Tuesday off and left on Sunday the 28th. Actually we could have left on Saturday. We lost one day since the trip was finalized only on Friday night.

Kanyakumari trip was a different story. We had a family function in a town near tirunelveli (which is close to Kanyakumari) and we took a week off to convert that occasion for a vacation since we had to go all the way to tirunelveli.

Having a diesel car also helps. We don't have to think twice about the fuel cost.

I got my Manza on the 5th of Feb this year and it has almost run around 15000km.

I think Oct 6th (Thursday) will be a holiday for you. If you take leave on the 7th you will have a 4 day weekend. Why not plan a trip that weekend?

And Oct 26th (Wednesday)is also a holiday. So if you take 2 days off you will get a 5 day weekend.

@ Highway Ranger.
excellent snaps. how much time did it take you to drive from Bangalore to Kanyakumari (including stops) ... and what was the total distance one way? Would help if you could share this information. Seems like a wonderful place to drive down to ...

Thread Starter #19
@ aloha

We didn't drive direct to Kanyakumari. While going, we went to our native place near Tirunelveli which is on NH7. we started at 5 am and reached Tirunelveli around 1:15 pm. From Tirunelveli to Kanyakumari will be around 3 hours. If you are going directly to Kanyakumari you will be traveling on NH7 which is a great road to drive. 4 lanes all the way up to some 10 kms before Kanyakumari.

The time I mentioned included breakfast at A2B at thoppur and does not include lunch break.

Distance around 650/700kms

thanks for this additional information Highway Ranger. I will plan a road trip to Kanyakumari early next year or sometime in November. Hope the weather around that time will be good for a visit. Before that - I will be driving to Kumarakom in October - which is also a 650 - 700km trip and will be a good preparation for a drive later to Kanyakumari

Thread Starter #21
@aloha

Kumarakom is also on my list of places to visit. Please post details of your trip - route taken, road conditions and stay - after your trip.

Top Bottom