Travelogue: Bangalore -> BR Hills -> Munnar -> KodaiKanal -> Bangalore

Thread Starter #46
...continued

Munnar was about 14kms from this spot.

Beautiful views enRoute : Munnar to KodaiKanal

This route was very rocky but beutiful. Because of the rocks the temperature of the surrounding was a little higher than the main Munnar areas. This stretch was about 3kms and had so many views to capture giving amazing opportunities for photography.

A lake spotted on the way. This was after the Club Mahindra resort, Munnar.

We saw a group of scouts and guides here doing rock climbing !!

Waterfall on the way !!

Waterfall on the way !!

Waterfall on the way !!

Waterfall on the way !!

Waterfall on the way !!

Waterfall on the way !!

Coal roasted Corn Cob. It wasn't very sweet but was a good snack to have for a break!!

Coal roasted Corn Cob.

...to be continued

Thread Starter #47
..... continued.

This is the place from where you can head to most of the premium and not so premium resorts at Munnar. These resorts are about 14~20kms from Munnar town.

We stopped at one of the stalls near Ayur county resort and had our breakfast. Yummy EggCurry with Appam, Omlette and Tea.

Egg surry with Appam(south indian pancake).

Bread Omlette with Ketchup

Me and My sweet kids

One of the resorts enRoute

On the way we saw a shop selling some local Tea, Masalas and Oil's which was owned by TATA group. So we bought some of the stuff and moved on.

The stuff what we bought like, cardamom, black pepper, face pack, diabetic powder were all very good quality and reasonably priced. The prices here were much lower than Munnar town from where we purchased some stuff as well and the quality was much better here. I would suggest if all the readers to buy from the TATA group sales outlets as compared to local shops near the Munnar town for a better deal and quality product.

On the way we stopped once or twice to take some shots of the valley and have refreshments. Sharing some of the pictures of the same.

Beautiful views enRoute : Munnar to KodaiKanal

On the way to KodaiKanal

On the way we spotted some Cardamom plantation and stopped to take a closer look at it. These pods what you see in above pictures are the Cardamom pods. They are dried plucked and then dried in the sun for finished product. We actually plucked a small branch and brought it along with us. In about 5~6 days it completely dried and was ready for eating.. and believe me it was too good and fresh.

Cardamom pods

My son got down to a water stream to wash his face and hands when he woke up !! The water was Ice-cold and very clean.

This is one place where the MapMyIndia GPS lost the satellite connection. But as we knew the way which was straight down, it was not a worry. After about 500mtrs it connected back to the satellite.

Curvy roads and hair-pin bends enRoute

Waterfall

This is the final turn where the mountains end and the flat road starts towards KodaiKanal or DindiGul.

enRoute towards KodaiKanal

Look at the women in the pick-up truck. This is a common view and a practice in India that people travel in commercial pick-up vehicles as well. It is very unsafe and extremely uncomfortable; but as the poor people do not have an option, they tend to use anything and everything to commute.

..... to be continued

Thread Starter #48
... Continued

On the way we stopped for lunch at one the restaurants. As it was some festival they had a beautiful collection of gods idols on display.

Indian Naan and Chicken was extremely tasty beyond our expectations.

Paneer Butter Masala

Garlic Naan

Jeera Rice

Roads from Munnar to Kodai were good and at few stretches they were getting widened.

On the way to the KodaiKanal mountains.

One of the lake on the way to the KodaiKanal.

This was the first view of one of the village which comes before KodaiKanal.

KodaiKanal toll plaza.

One of the boards emphasizing the fact that the plastic bags are banned in KodaiKanal. Though we could see some non-biodegradable plastic bags sold inside the town later.

Just after the KodaiKanal toll plaza there's a waterfall I guess some "Silver Waterfall or something". The waterfall was good but once you go inside you can see lots of garbage around you which is an eye-soar.

My daughter feeding the Monkeys

Locals selling fresh vegetables and misc stuff to earn their living. We bought carrots to feed Monkeys.

Monkey posing for me

My Daughter collected some silver water form the waterfall :)) in a plastic bag which was not supposed to be available in KodaiKanal, but the vendors sell everything in these bags.

First view of the Kodai town and a waterfall.

First view of the Kodai town and a waterfall.

We started from Munnar around 7AM and we reached about at 6pm at KodaiKanal with various stoppages etc on the way. The drive, some good and some not so good we reached Kodai town.

As were the first timers and didn't had much of the idea about the place, we thought of hiring a guide who could suggest us some good hotels to stay and take us around the best places to visit. So we found one and folks believe me thats where our bad luck I guess started. This guy was not very easy to speak to, had a very different slang that we could hardly understand what he was saying, but we had to manage with him as it was getting late and we were tired to venture on our own. So he started showing us few hotels, but we didn't any and we told him finally that we didn't liked anything you showed us so we will find ourselves. This thing got him excited and then he said ok give me one chance and I'll show you good ones now. So we agreed but again it was a bad decision I guess as we did not like anything he showed us again. But finally we got one he showed us and we immediately took it. This place was not very good as per our taste but not bad for the price we got it. So we thought to take it as it was late at night and getting another place would have been more taxing as well. So we paid the money and moved in to the place.
After relaxing for a while went to have dinner at the restaurant outside the hotel and it was average. So we just filled our stomach and came back to hotel and crashed into the bed for a good night sleep.

Next morning we woke up to carry on with the sightseeing tour in KodaiKanal.......

Continued in my next post ..........

Hi amit, again Nice set of Pics.

Even i had plan to do Kodaikanal , while returning from our recent trip to kanyakumari.

As we had less time we couldn't do it.

Will be waiting for more of your experience at Kodaikanal and plan for one.

Which is the best time to visit Kodaikanal?

Thread Starter #50
Hi amit, again Nice set of Pics.

Even i had plan to do Kodaikanal , while returning from our recent trip to kanyakumari.

As we had less time we couldn't do it.

Will be waiting for more of your experience at Kodaikanal and plan for one.

Which is the best time to visit Kodaikanal?
Thanks Mukesh.

Regarding Kodai, I would say if you have to go .. go during winters as the summer time in Kodai would be bad I guess. During my stay there the day was a little hot but the nights and morning were well cold. So I guess now should be a good time till Feb end. Rest check the weather online and go for it :)

Also my opinion and experience about Kodai is not that great. Its very highly commercial place and I do not like commercial places at all. There were loads and loads of people everywhere which was an eye-soar for a beautiful place. If you have to go I would say avoid during school holidays and peak season. Sight-seeing places were all cramped up with people so I skipped most of them and spent time at the lake. The lake side is ok but nothing great. I'm writing detailed blog so would post shortly.

I like the composition of most of your pictures.[clap]

We visited kodai in last September and we had the whole place to our self.

There are also a lot of places to see around Kodai. Like the Berijam lake for which you have to take the forest officials permission and go through thick forest. Only around 10 vehicles are allowed per day. There was a route to Periyakulam that we took for a lazy drive down which had some falls and beautiful scenery.

Couple of pictures of Coaker's walk and Pillar rock. which were deserted when we went.

Attachments

Thread Starter #53
Awesome Pics Amit,

from your point which is better, Munnar or Kodai?

Because I've a plan to go anyone of this on March..
Go for Munnar. Its heaven on earth !! I would recommend if you're going stay in a homestay or a resort instead of any commercial hotel. It makes a hell lot of difference to stay with locals and chit chat and learn about the places. Rest your choice.

Thread Starter #54
I like the composition of most of your pictures.[clap]

We visited kodai in last September and we had the whole place to our self.

There are also a lot of places to see around Kodai. Like the Berijam lake for which you have to take the forest officials permission and go through thick forest. Only around 10 vehicles are allowed per day. There was a route to Periyakulam that we took for a lazy drive down which had some falls and beautiful scenery.

Couple of pictures of Coaker's walk and Pillar rock. which were deserted when we went.
Thanks "Highway Ranger". That's the lesson learnt now that avoid the holidays and the season if you want to enjoy any place in India. In season it gets really messy and crowded and we end up having a bad experience instead of a good one.

Top Bottom