Traffic Mess in Bangalore

The most stressful part in Bangalore is not working in the company, but travelling from work to home. Since the many new MNCs have flourished in Bangalore, it's evident people grows needs for commuting on their own. From a deep observation i see many people who have had their promotions prefers their own means of transport.

We cannot blame them too, because the so called BMTC is worse and costly, the Auto-Rickshaws are leeches who suck out the money like anything.

I too thought of using my own transportation because the distance from my home to office is 25 kms, the office shuttle takes 2 and half hours (min, max add you own hrs) which is very stressful inhaling the fumes. But then being a little concerned about the pollution, continue to use office shuttle itself.

No wonder if Bangalore becomes world's top contributing city for traffic and pollution. (Or has it become already?)
Not just that, i felt really bad and sometimes misguided, insulted and even people made laughing at me because am trying to board a bus, where in i dont know how to read kannada, but i would say not everyone their are few good hearts everywhere, but not all.

Auto fee chargeis high and it will be even more high if he knows you are not a localite,

To top it all here no one bother to give way for ambulance too

Not just that, i felt really bad and sometimes misguided, insulted and even people made laughing at me because am trying to board a bus, where in i dont know how to read kannada, but i would say not everyone their are few good hearts everywhere, but not all.
This is really bad brother, all we can do best to ignore them and go on our own way.

Auto fee charge is high and it will be even more high if he knows you are not a localite
Happens everywhere in India. Bangalore being highly populated for auto wallas, you can feel it.

To top it all here no one bother to give way for ambulance too
And this is one major issue, if any ambulances sound are heard, i just pray to god to save the injured and to take to the destination as quickly as possible.

You see people who lack common sense are bound to do it, i see even the educated people doing it.

^^ Not yet it reached that milestone. What i am wondering is, I have seen a lot of people in my office going around same time to almost same destination. but not once they opted for car pool. And BMTC is a joke and auto's are money sucking vampires. If there is anything to control the traffic, it is carpool. I mean, look at the traffic, almost 80% of the cars have single occupancy and even SUVs. That's such stupid thing to do.

^^ Not yet it reached that milestone. What i am wondering is, I have seen a lot of people in my office going around same time to almost same destination. but not once they opted for car pool. And BMTC is a joke and auto's are money sucking vampires. If there is anything to control the traffic, it is carpool. I mean, look at the traffic, almost 80% of the cars have single occupancy and even SUVs. That's such stupid thing to do.
Agree with you completely but how is question?
unless there is change in people's mindset it cant be acheived Neither goverment is not taking any intiative at all.
BMTC intiative Bus day is Biggest joke to laugh about,
No seats in buses at all
No end to end connectivity
exhobirt ticket prices.
Theft of mobile phones[clap]( i lost 3 phnes of mine)
long back Karntaka goverment try to enforce a odd and even number plates[frustration].
what the hell was those IAS officers standard was?

I am against switching to two wheeler mainly because of the safety, you never know when you will get knocked out by a BMTC Bus or the swaraj mazda cab drivers or the multi axle lorry's that ply during peak office hours or the numerous pot holes in the road.

Atleast in a car you feel safe, I compute from KR Puram Railway station to ITPL everyday for the last 6yrs, i started with a two wheeler and now cant imagine driving in this stretch in a two wheeler.

People who drive in this route will know the state of the road, Less told about the situation during monsoons is more better.

At the end of the day i care more about my life that the environment.

^^ I stayed in Banaswadi and i know the conditions of this road. Trust me, in Bangalore, I never stayed more than a km from office, so that I don't have to commute by bus/car/bike.

But in my current City, my everyday commute is more of relaxed one and so I prefer bike over car, because
1. I own petrol sedan
2. Everyday I am driving for more than 50km.

No matter what you drive, if you don't drive safely, then there is no safety. In car, my max speed is 80km/h and with bike, it will be reduced to max 65 km/h. It is not that I am afraid to drive at high speeds, it is that I am afraid that vehicles around me are mostly driven by fools and we need to be in a speed where we can control, under any circumstances.

Most important point, don't do harsh driving. I mean, it will never be good for you as well as your vehicle. I can see a lot of people getting really impatient on highways, if they follow an lorry for less than 2 minutes and they start juggling in roads looking for little space to over take.

@cagebee
I am not telling driving car is not safe, but driving bike is not worse. Personally I prefer, 60km/l is better than 16km/l for my daily commute and it is my opinion. End of the day, it is personal decision and based on what matters to you.

@furious_driver
Sorry i did not mean to say driving bike is NOT safe, i meant to say atleast my observation for the past 6yrs in KR Puram Rly Station <---> ITPL stretch looks dangerous for bikers, if you have driven in this road i can say all the key locations were you might get knocked down. ( prestige shantinekatan, Zuri hotel, Hood circle, Brigade metropolis, Phoenix mall,)
Again its personal preference, these were just my thoughts.

^^ Exactly. And that is why I always stayed closer to my office, even though the pain of shifting is high. When I stayed in Banaswadi, my office was just 500mtrs from home and I come home for lunch. This is for me, best thing and no need to worry about your commute even in case of rain. (I know not everyone can do this)

And riding bike in Bangalore, is tad risky but I never felt so, cause of my driving style and slow speed.

My ultimate goal is to, reduce the commute time/distance. Which leads to time saving, money saving and no strain for my body, and finally less polluting. It might not make an huge impact in pollution, if I don't drive, but through this, I convinced a lot of people and made them stay closer, take car pool etc.

True about shifting near office, But most of us stay in their own house making it difficult to move, and also we need to consider out better half's work place distance also!!
Lucky for you that you stay very close to your office..

True about shifting near office, But most of us stay in their own house making it difficult to move, and also we need to consider out better half's work place distance also!!
Lucky for you that you stay very close to your office..
My better half quit her job after seeing the Bangalore life style. This makes my shifting a lot more easier and I don't have an house, which is again an added advantage for me. But yeah, this suggestion is not for everyone. But car pooling, you might consider.

Car pooling is also quite difficult here. People who work in IT and do not have fixed shift timings (anyway those people have company cabs) makes more difficult. If one sits late others have also to sit back for him and so on.
Rather can cribbing among ourselves, it is high time authorities should improve infrastructure and public transport (with last mile connectivity)

^ ya i have seen these Shift timings mess ups,i had to go & collect my cousin at 2AM cos of a mess up with the cabs, i had to use the gps to find the place.
As for public transport,what other example do we need than the years & endless problems the metro constructions are causing.Everything is just tax sucking/looting trick. Nothing is done with real intention to improve but to create & prolong projects to loot.

Last edited:
@furious_driver
Sorry i did not mean to say driving bike is NOT safe, i meant to say atleast my observation for the past 6yrs in KR Puram Rly Station <---> ITPL stretch looks dangerous for bikers, if you have driven in this road i can say all the key locations were you might get knocked down. ( prestige shantinekatan, Zuri hotel, Hood circle, Brigade metropolis, Phoenix mall,)
Again its personal preference, these were just my thoughts.
@cageebee I agree with you.. Almost 1.5 yrs I worked in ITPL IBM office near Satya Sai Hospital.. My daily commute from New Bel Road to FTP was a battle in itself once the cab service was stopped. Moreover it was not feasible to get a bike due to my night shift and driving conditions on the ring road at night. KR Puram was the worst when it came to traffic, water logging during rains, and the pot holes.
I don't want to target any community, but not knowing the local dialect had it's effects. Getting into any bus was an issue, the only ones I could trust were the volvo buses, which had notations in English. But, that burned a deep hole in my pockets.
One other thing I didn't like was the nagging attitude of the Autorickshaw guys. I met many who were courteous and took what they deserved only, but majority of guys had the meter rigged, and constantly asked for extra money. I don't remember the last time I gave an auto guy cash and got change/coins back(I feel Mumbai Auto guys are good on this front, never had to bargain there for fare, just had to struggle for accepting to take me to destination).
The private cabs/TT's that ply on the ring road are fine for guys till dusk, but once it's dark, it becomes very risky to board some of those. After we moved to manyatha, there was such an incident with my colleague who boarded a sumo outside mtp campus, and he was beaten, looted and threatened to death by the gang in the sumo, somewhere after Tin Factory near an empty road was left with fractures, bruised Eyes, and no money.
I really feel, CarPool should be encouraged, and in my company I think there's a database where people can register for carpooling, but not many use it.

@anshuman True, agreed about the shifts and company cabs.
Still, the transport facility is good in some companies but in some (especially mine) it's really pathetic sometimes. There have been instances when the transport team didn't roster my name in the list and being this their mistake I had to suffer, since they said there's no cab in your route and you'll have to take next logout and worse the logout 2 hours after the current one.

Nice to see all Banglore people meeting in this thread.
@cageebee I agree with you.. Almost 1.5 yrs I worked in ITPL IBM office near Satya Sai Hospital.. My daily commute from New Bel Road to FTP was a battle in itself once the cab service was stopped. Moreover it was not feasible to get a bike due to my night shift and driving conditions on the ring road at night. KR Puram was the worst when it came to traffic, water logging during rains, and the pot holes.
Sad, but why is it that cabs have stopped for? Yes, even I would not advise you the bike in that conditions as it is risky and dangerous.
@anshuman True, agreed about the shifts and company cabs.
Still, the transport facility is good in some companies but in some (especially mine) it's really pathetic sometimes. There have been instances when the transport team didn't roster my name in the list and being this their mistake I had to suffer, since they said there's no cab in your route and you'll have to take next logout and worse the logout 2 hours after the current one.
Firstly, the people of the company had to maintain bus transpot properly, and not like this. Everybody is a working person, and hence, everybody should be treated the same, either in bus or in some other transport. Sad to hear this from you and hope the traffic will get bettered by the next time you get this situation.

Top Bottom