Toyota To Bring New Compact Cars in India

Thread Starter #1
Toyota said it will roll out a number of new compact cars priced around $12,500 (Rs 6.92 lakh) in developing nations, targeting sales of more than one million of the models annually in emerging markets by 2015.

Japan's biggest automaker said it would make eight new cars at plants in Thailand, Indonesia, India and Brazil, priced at about 1.0 million yen ($12,500) or more. "We don't sell cars priced at 500,000 yen (Rs 3.48 lakh)," Toyota executive vice-president Yukitoshi Funo told reporters at its Tokyo headquarters. While the new models are squarely aimed at emerging nations, including China, Indonesia and Brazil, "if customers in the United States or Europe like them, I will flexibly think about selling them there," Funo added.

In 2010, the firm launched its Etios compactc (Read: Toyota Etios and Etios LIVA Road Test) to the Indian market with a base price of about $10,000 (Rs 5.54 lakh), still far higher than domestic rivals such as Tata Motors, whose Nano sells for as little as $2,900 (Rs 1.61 lakh).

Total sales of Etios have surpassed 100,000 vehicles in India since its debut, the company said Friday. Etios is part of a broader plan to see half of Toyota's worldwide vehicle sales come from emerging markets, up from 45 percent in 2011, as global automakers rush to emerging nations amid stuttering sales in their developed markets.

The automaker, which includes the brands Toyota, Lexus, Daihatsu and Hino sold 7.35 million vehicles globally in the year to March. Funo offered few details about the new Toyota models, but said they will have an ‘excitement’ factor.

Funo said:
"Cars need to have a factor of excitement. When a father buys a car, he must draw respect from his family who should say - Daddy, well done, and the family should enjoy going on a picnic over a weekend in that car,"
Source:
Toyota to introduce new models for India| Zigwheels.com

hmm interesting info but how they want to sell compact cars @ 6 lakhs?

well this statement is arrogant from toyota! "We don't sell cars priced at 500,000 yen (Rs 3.48 lakh)" they will learn hard way like honda from this kinda attitude!

Thread Starter #3
hmm interesting info but how they want to sell compact cars @ 6 lakhs?

well this statement is arrogant from toyota! "We don't sell cars priced at 500,000 yen (Rs 3.48 lakh)" they will learn hard way like honda from this kinda attitude!
Well said their statement is totally arrogant,how difficult is it to engineer a car under 5L? ask your neighbour Suzuki[;)]

Great news,but i really hope toyota doesnt come again with etios/liva like interiors.I vetoed my dad's decision to buy the car just for the interior.feels downright cheap.But toyota being haloed,they will get away with it.

Toyota has always been arrogant. When they launched the Innova, a reporter asked them that how they plan to sell a MUV which looks like a van. (India had only SUVs as 7 seaters, back then) Toyota said "India loves our 3 generations old outdated product like Qualis, so Innova is way better for them"!

Look at the pricing of their cars, all cars are over priced and they hope that people will pay this premium for their brand value.

Thread Starter #7
Look at the pricing of their cars, all cars are over priced and they hope that people will pay this premium for their brand value.
Toyota has always taken advantage of their brand value in our market,they happily milk their Indian customer's, and the surprising part is their customer's seem to enjoy it.

6L compact ? Are they launching Etios & Liva version 2 ? [glasses]
Small cars should be best left to Daihatsu.

Thread Starter #10
they should launch the Yaris and Yaris sedan to replace Etios. much better and safer option.
Both Yaris and its sibling was considered for our market, In bangaore we found load's of those car's under disguise a few year's back,i wonder what made them drop this idea of launching this product, i remember reading in some publication that they found out that these model's were too expensive for our market[lol]

they should launch the Yaris and Yaris sedan to replace Etios. much better and safer option.
+100. Yes Yaris is a better option than the Etios. And is not expensive as well.

Both Yaris and its sibling was considered for our market, In bangaore we found load's of those car's under disguise a few year's back,i wonder what made them drop this idea of launching this product, i remember reading in some publication that they found out that these model's were too expensive for our market[lol]
I hope that they launch it now.

Pune based DSK Group with interests in real estate, auto has purchased stake of Hyosung motors from Garware for bikes. Seeing this first time where a dealer is becoming significant stakeholder in bike maker. [music]

Top Bottom