Toyota Studying For SUV On Etios Platform (Rs.10 - 12 Lakhs)

Thread Starter #1
Toyota studying low cost SUV in Rs 10-12 lakh price bracket. Likely to be built on modified Etios platform - ACI

Competition for Safari, Scorpio, XUV500 ?

This is news now.. Again this can be possible. When M&M can build a truck with international standards in 10 to 15 bracket, Toyota can too.
They have produced very efficient Sedan and hatchback, they can produce SUV with in this range too..
Lets hope release is soon in 2012.

This is news now.. Again this can be possible. When M&M can build a truck with international standards in 10 to 15 bracket, Toyota can too.
They have produced very efficient Sedan and hatchback, they can produce SUV with in this range too..
Lets hope release is soon in 2012.
But M&M make it a success where toyota wont do in India.
The Etios siblings are just called as car and you can see way too much of cost cutting done inside.So it is obvious that customers pour money only for the "T" Badge and just roam around with that not for the comfort.

Last edited:
I dont completly agree with your comments Vishwas. M&M is selling Vereto just a car which is way less then Etios standards of comfort and style. value for money.
we really cannot compare or complain on Toyota's future SUV untill we see what cost cutting are they planning for this to fit it in 10 -15 range.
By the way, just wondering, any reason why you thing Toyota cannot do this in India.?

I dont completly agree with your comments Vishwas. M&M is selling Vereto just a car which is way less then Etios standards of comfort and style. value for money.
See value for money deals here,and Etios's price is not comfortable for me,and the Verito was a Logan where the ergonomics were very poor but sold really well in the cab world.

we really cannot compare or complain on Toyota's future SUV untill we see what cost cutting are they planning for this to fit it in 10 -15 range.
By the way, just wondering, any reason why you thing Toyota cannot do this in India.?
Best example: Innova,do you think it has all it should? No,Because it is sold as an MPV at SUV price which doesn't makes sense.And people buy just for the brand and reliability where my mind won't go there and we should get satisfied from the products that WE own where we put in our hard earned money.
In fact am a fan of Qualis,because it was priced right,showed people what a real MPV means and engine was real good.But now-a-days they are not giving a value related vehicle to our people,and that's what i hate about Toyota.

Good move, i must say. I wont comment on the quality aspect as of now, but what i see is, increasing options for prospective customers.

I agree with Vishwas here. Toyota has always been selling overpriced products in the name of reliability.
Agree with Viswas and Raj.

Toyota may be an international giant and do make trouble free cars.
But there brand image was a result of giving consistant quality over the years. They did the same in India with Qualis.

Though Innova is bland or dull and overpriced, its still a reliable and niggle free vehicle.

However they are dragging their own feet with the Etios.
Etios and Liva are selling in bulk because of the Toyota badge. But soon the chickens will come back home to roost.

Then we will see the after effects of taking Indian market for granted.

Im a big fan of M&M and own a M&M too but the fact is spending 12L for a inova do not cause as many problems/even minor issues like M&M or Tata.
May be our forum TAI itself can share the issues for scrop or safari than toyota.
I belive 10-12L suv from "T" should be good compition with other SUV manufactors. I think it can be worth a bet....

This is just my point of view..

see, I do understand that toyota makes reliable vehicles. but then does that mean easy on the pocket too? Nopes.

I have spent 25000 on my innova in the past 3 months which includes servicing, engine black smoke & starter motor complaint. so what use is the reliability when I am paying through my nose?

Well, for those who can afford the maintainence -

Current innova's on road price is 14 lakhs (top end). For the same price you get the XUV5OO W8, again top end. Let us consider the base version XUV500 (W6). It is not only 1.5 lakhs cheaper than the Innova but also has more features as well, namely -

cruise control
6" infotainment screen
USB/Ipod/Bluetooth connectivity
automatic headlights
automatic wipers
HIDs
cornering lamps
EBD
Rear disc brakes & many more (i cant recollect)

So, the question is - is the reliability of toyota so good that we should not only sacrifice the above mentioned creature comforts but also pay 1.5 lakhs more? in short, pay more & get less!

Mahindras are not that unreliable either. Max, it would have some minor issues. Infact their drivetrain (engine, gearbox & suspension) is very rugged & reliable. I would prefer buying a well equipped & VFM vehicle & deal with some small issues rather than buying a reliable vehicle but which is utterly boring & ill equipped. the reliable toyota is also more expensive to maintain!

if we compare the innova to the Xylo, the top end Xylo costs just a little bit more than the base variant innova which has just power steering. no power windows, no painted bumpers, not even rear AC! Is it actually justifiable to demand a premium just in the name of reliability & brand image? They are no BMW or Audi!

Last edited:
Agree with Raj here. Except for Qualis, Innova & Fortuner, they have not dominated in other segments.

After I cancelled my Etios booking, I was contemplating top-end Innova but I personally felt it was not worth 15 lakhs (Bangalore, on road price)

Happy with Scorpio along with its niggles [drive]

Raj,
May be i went a little off topic, I am not comparing M&M with "T" but just saying toyota is and can be capable to producing a VFM SUV in the bracket of 10 -15L.
The plastic quality in Etio is not bad, the engine is not bad and its a features are also not bad for its cost range.
All i believe is "you will get what you pay"

Top Bottom