Toyota Planning To Challenge Hyundai Verna

Thread Starter #1
Toyota Etios platform to spawn Hyundai Verna challenger in emerging countries

In a story authored by Gustavo Ruffo and Lucas Litvay on this month’s edition of Car and Driver Brazil, Toyota is learned to be silently working on upmarket sedan and hatchback based on the Etios platform. Toyota is presently promoting the Etios in Brazil, and the new product is not expected to come out in the next year.

The illustration suggests that the new twins will be the production versions of the Dear Qin concepts showcased at the Beijing Auto show. These are touted be the first two in the eight new compact cars the Japanese giant plans to build for the BRIC countries.

TKM is tight-lipped about the proceedings, but we can say that the sedan will be positioned above the Etios, which puts it right into the territory of the Hyundai Verna, Nissan Sunny and Skoda Rapid. The hatchback will be squeezed in between the Etios twins.

Powertrains:
While Brazil is expected to get only the 1.5 litre petrol, the choice of motors (speculatively) for India is same as the Etios family. The 1.5 and 1.2 litre petrol engines will propel the sedan and the hatchback respectively while the 1.4 litre oil-burner will be common across the models, although the state of tune is unclear as of now.

Design and equipment :
Gone are the mundane lines of Etios. The car definitely looks stylish with sharp angular headlamps, funkier grill and bumper. The rear also has nothing that suggests it’s relationship with Etios and it won’t feel out of place to stand shoulder to shoulder with the ‘Fludic’ Verna.
Expect improved material quality, lots of space (at 2.55 metre the wheelbase is same as Etios) and more equipment. This could very well be TKM’s image-makeover model.

Read more: Toyota Etios platform to spawn Hyundai Verna challenger

Attachments

Re: TOYOTA planning to challenge VERNA

That's what the Etios should have been in the first place. Toyota thinks it can just sell any crap in India. Good that the people gave the Etios the thumbs down.

Toyota Etios, is one of the terribly disappointed product from Toyota so far !! and it surprises me when I look at its challenge with Verna[:)]

Toyota Etios, is one of the terribly disappointed product from Toyota so far !! and it surprises me when I look at its challenge with Verna[:)]
I think you haven't read the first post properly. The magazine cover has a picture of a new Toyota and as per what is written on the side it says "More Luxurious and Cheaper than the Corolla".

Thread Starter #5

They are just going to use the Etios platform to make a sedan which is better looking better equipped than the the Etios to take on Verna.

@Visran, @Peter

I read it correctly. If it is Etios platform for design is may be ok, but it is like Etios interiors then I do not know really where they will end with their new product !!

The reason for my post is well understood already that Etios never match to the standards of T-badge quality.

They are just going to use the Etios platform to make a sedan which is better looking better equipped than the the Etios to take on Verna.
Rather than competing with Verna, they should launch this as a replacement for Etios itself. Etios was in any case an under-weight, pre-delivered, test-tube baby.[lol]

Thread Starter #8

The reason for my post is well understood already that Etios never match to the standards of T-badge quality.
+100 to you sir,Etios interior's are probably worst than our chinese derived Rio

Rather than competing with Verna, they should launch this as a replacement for Etios itself. Etios was in any case an under-weight, pre-delivered, test-tube baby.[lol]
+100, Yes, they need to think of a quick upgrade for Etios and can be called as Toyota Etios "V2" or "T2"[:)]. For that extent this applied to Liva also

Thread Starter #10

I don't think that will happen anytime soon as Toyota is managing to sell every Etios they can produce, thanks mainly to the launch in South African market.

"More Luxurious and Cheaper than the Corolla".
That should actually read "Here comes a Compact more Luxurious than the Etios and Cheaper than the Corolla."

I guess that's why they want a separate model and not a mere updated Etios.

My +1.

That should actually read "Here comes a Compact more Luxurious than the Etios and Cheaper than the Corolla."

I guess that's why they want a separate model and not a mere updated Etios.

My +1.
Here I really feel that Toyota is going mad !!

The new Fortuner and their thinking about a new sedan below Corolla, it will be never be successful as they are thinking about it [cry]

Toyota with their reliability card have taken Indians for a nice ride [anger], and we Indians seem to love that ride since it comes with a name " reliability " [cry]

Top Bottom