Toyota Etios Diesel - Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I didn't find an Toyota Etios Diesel ownership report on the forums, so here I go:

Picked up the Etios Diesel from Harsha Toyota Chennai 4-5 weeks ago. Have already clocked close to 4,500 kms. Other cars I considered were the Dzire Diesel and Logan (Verito) Diesel. Didn't like the Dzire's looks. Although I had booked it for want of choice I was glad the delivery got delayed due to the strike at their manufacturing plant. I actually love the Logan for it's practicality, space, and even it's looks! But was suspect about it's staying power in the market. So, when the Etios Diesel was launched it was an easy choice. The Etios is the Toyota version of the Logan.

The GD model does not have airbags, ABS, rear defogger, audio head unit (although it comes with 2 speakers+2 tweeters), alloys and other frills. I was looking for a practical, reliable family hauler and that's what I seemed to have got with the Toyota.

Interiors:
- Spacious
- Seats are basic but comfortable. No great body huggers.
- Rear seats are benchlike which also makes it practical. Kiddo gets to spread out and sleep comfortably on long and short journeys
- Leg space is good at the front although the driver side doesn't have free leg rest
- Rear leg room is fantastic even when the front seats are pushed way back
- It's a rather wide car adding to the sense of space
- Airconditiong is sufficient
- Plastics though feel REALLY CHEAP. Along with the car's light weight one gets the feeling that you're really travelling in a tin can and nothing more- - The speedo at the centre of the dash is actually in a comfortable position although it's very basic. I just get the speedo and an odo. Nothing more, nothing less

Driveability:
- Fantastic in the city. The 'linear torque/power band' which folks talk about helps to run the car without stress across the gears
- Gear shift is practical, not sporty. It's not rubbery like the Wagon R's. So, driving is...well, nice
- Maneuverability is easy. The turning radius is good to do those U turns in restricted spaces
- Ride, though, is boat like thanks to the light weight of the car.
- Compared to the petrol, the diesel front is a wee bit heavier and therefore better
- Braking is good
- Clutch doesn't seem hard either
- Driver and passenger views are good. The A pillar doesn't seem to obstruct and is comfortable
- There is no seat height adjust. But I compensate with the tilt steering. Although with the tilt steering at the lower position, getting in and getting out of the seat is a nuisance.

Noise levels:
- Engine noise is audible. But not something one can't live with. At higher highway speeds it's smoother. At very high speeds (120 plus) am told it's bloody noisy ('like the Innova', so say my friends).
- Tyre noise is invasive.

Faults:
- I found defects in the cars beading (window liner). Reported to Toyota and they're looking into it
- Rear passengers have complained that the rear seat is 'not stable'. Will run it for a while before that's verified as well

Mileage:
Haven't taken pucca readings yet but tend to think it gives me 20 on long distance at 80-90 speeds. However, stop and go revs drastically decrease the mileage as in all cars.

Overall, am happy I bought the car for the following reasons:
- Was looking for a practical, reliable car with good mileage, low cost of maintenance and spacious - a no frills car that meets on all parameters. It's not a 'status car'. It's not a great driver's car. But it's an easy to drive car.

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel - Ownership

Hello Div65, Congratz on your new car. Please try to post the pictures as well. 4500 Kms in 5 weeks!! hmm

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel - Ownership

Yes a true review where i found this owner honest and happy with his car,nice choice Mr.Div65,and you went according to your real needs,that is appreciated,well post some pictures,your dealership experience etc.... Congrats for purchase and welcome to TAI,finally happy motoring[drive]

350Z

Core Team
Fantastic and a precise review. Congratulations for Etios, Div. I think you’re the same person who was considering a pre-owned josh machine sometime back? Good decision nevertheless. The best part is that it suits your requirements and you are happy with it. But a review is always incomplete regardless of how well it is written without pictures. Do post them soon. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congratulations Div65.. :)
Excellent review friend.. Good choice, I must say.. Please post some pictures of your dream car [:)]

Brilliant review Div65. Many congratulations on the frugal sedan! It surely will entice to drive more[:)]

But where are the pics buddy? Do share some nice pics of your ride.

Thread Starter #15
Well, clocked more than 5000 kms as of today. :)

Well guys, I know this isn't what you'll meant when you suggested pics, but it's the only one I got at the moment. It's my very car of course! :) Oops, how do I post pics? haha Am a real green horn posting on a forum. So please bear with any fumbles.

Top Bottom