Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel Road Test Review

Great review ! Is it possible to source 0~100 & 40~100 figures?
I have a feeling that Vento TDi (which costs 2L less) will whip this out of sight.

Thread Starter #17
as usual..gret report guys [thumbswink] but i will not buy altis for some reasons

it is very very common
its price is very steep

cruze has better design, price and features but rightly said that altis has reliability..can you compare its performance with cruze??
You got it right. Corolla in no way comparable to Cruze when it comes to performance. The comparo chart says it all. But when it comes to reliability, FE and A.S.S, Corolla wins the race.

Great review ! Is it possible to source 0~100 & 40~100 figures?
I have a feeling that Vento TDi (which costs 2L less) will whip this out of sight.
The 0-100 speed as claimed to Toyota is around 14.5sec. Forget about Vento many hatches will leave the Corolla behind. But apart from the negatives like small engine and lesser power, one cant deny the fact that inspite of the small 1.4L engine the performance isnt Bad. Test drive one and you will find that althought the specs look poor on paper, the drive isnt that bad. As i have mentioned in the report, the gear ratios compensate the torque!

Great review and pictures Akash! This is one review which i was waiting for because i really liked the car when i saw it in showroom. Now i have few questions.

How was the SQ from the OE HU?

How was the rear legroom? I found it to be good but not very great!

Interiors even i din like the Altis's interiors!

The only pluses i see in Altis deisel are great FE and amazing reliability.

I never knew even the diesel Altis had HID'S!!

But for a person spending close to 15Lakhs OTR here , FE will not be a major concern! 15kmpl in highways will be a decent figure for cars belonging to this class and so they could have upped the power a bit and compromised on FE! A Cruze will be a better option since it costs almost the same , is more powerful and offers better features.

However i don see much Altis diesels on road and the steep price and low power must be the reasons i guess!

Thread Starter #19
Great review and pictures Akash! This is one review which i was waiting for because i really liked the car when i saw it in showroom. Now i have few questions.
Thanks Dhaya.

How was the SQ from the OE HU?
The SQ was decent though not amazing. The bass was too low to please an audiophile. However i found it better than the one Honda Civic.

How was the rear legroom? I found it to be good but not very great!
Rear legroom is pretty good. Atleast for 6fters like us it is decent enough, far better than Cruze. Actually the headroom too is good. Normally i hate the rear seats because often when i stretch myself my head touches the roof in some cars, but in Altis i found myself appreciating the comfort.

Interiors even i din like the Altis's interiors!

The only pluses i see in Altis deisel are great FE and amazing reliability.

I never knew even the diesel Altis had HID'S!!

But for a person spending close to 15Lakhs OTR here , FE will not be a major concern! 15kmpl in highways will be a decent figure for cars belonging to this class and so they could have upped the power a bit and compromised on FE! A Cruze will be a better option since it costs almost the same , is more powerful and offers better features.

However i don see much Altis diesels on road and the steep price and low power must be the reasons i guess!
Honestly speaking, apart from the instrument cluster, i dont find anything great with Honda Civic's interior. I loved the color combo which is not exactly the beige which now hurts my eyes. The plastic quality is amazing. Just a touch of dash says it all.
Now coming to FE, i think its the best. A friend of mine is got a fe of 24.XXkmpl on a 500km long stretch. Also the Diesel altis is selling pretty well, needless to mention, the major share is of the Hotels, Car rentals and cabbies.
And seriously man, i had heard about the SO CALLED huge lag, which isnt a bad as it was mentioned by many.
If you ask me, i would love to buy Altis. The only reason i would stay away from this car is due to its popularity among cabbies.

Thread Starter #21
Very Nice review Akash.

This is one bang of segment.

But the looks of the car make it old :(
Thanks Zinam.
Corolla Altis does look a bit dated yet elegant. Altis to me looks like a cocktail of Camry's(Prev. Gen) front and Corolla's rear(Prev gen.)!

did anyone enquired about the availibility of this car, i guess there should be waitlist for sure, not sure but heard of 2 months waitlist.

Thread Starter #24
did anyone enquired about the availibility of this car, i guess there should be waitlist for sure, not sure but heard of 2 months waitlist.
Yes Vijay, even this Toyota has got good waiting periods. In nagpur, due to heavy demand and longer waiting periods the bookings were stopped. They resumed it a week back. I think metros like Chennai, delhi, etc must be having long waiting periods.

excellent review.

i was wondering why a car from toyota couldn't keep up with my fiat punto .now thanks to akash.

Awesome review there.
Whatsoever the mileage may be, I still feel this is not a value for money product from Toyota. [anger]
vfm part shows in long run with lesser visit to service centres and reliability compared to any other european or korean cars

Last edited:
Thread Starter #27
any plans of toyota to launch a more powerful engine for the altis diesel?
No confirmations yet. The only new engine which may come in with the facelift Corolla Altis will be 2.0L Petrol.

excellent review.

i was wondering why a car from toyota couldn't keep up with my fiat punto .now thanks to akash.

vfm part shows in long run with lesser visit to service centres and reliability compared to any other european or korean cars
Thanks Jayadev

Well its not a performance car alright but after paying close to 15Lakhs i would want atleast a decent engine under the hood. This Corolla Altis diesel has a puny 1.4L engine under the hood which even a hatch like i20 CRDI or Punto 90HP can make it sweat! Even sedans like Vento and Fluidic Verna which are much cheaper are more powerful than the Altis. I get the Cruze for the same money which puts out 150BHP from a 2.0L engine! I agree the Altis offers great FE but Toyota should have provided an engine which can match the competitors in its segment.

Well its not a performance car alright but after paying close to 15Lakhs i would want atleast a decent engine under the hood. This Corolla Altis diesel has a puny 1.4L engine under the hood which even a hatch like i20 CRDI or Punto 90HP can make it sweat! Even sedans like Vento and Fluidic Verna which are much cheaper are more powerful than the Altis. I get the Cruze for the same money which puts out 150BHP from a 2.0L engine! I agree the Altis offers great FE but Toyota should have provided an engine which can match the competitors in its segment.
But Altis is selling more than Cruze.

Top Bottom