Toyota Corolla Altis 2008: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #31
I ran into my 2nd major issue. Since a few days i was getting clicking and sometimes grinding sounds from below. I kept thinking that those were my break pads, althought the sound came only when clutch and gear were engaged. Kept driving with the noise. This Sunday finally took it to mechanic. He siad both front Axles have to be rebuilt or replaced. 3k per Axle then parts and labour. Will take 2 days atleast to complete the work. I didn't have 2 days so while going back home, first visited the Kurla CST road. A mechanic checked and said without opening the wheels, he wont be able to check. So i agreed, he opened both wheels and slipped below the car. Came out saying passenger side Axle is completely damaged and driver side just has minor play. Left has to be replaced immediately. Rebuilding cost 2.5k, bushings both sides 1.6k and labour 1.2k. I agreed. Axle was taken to a rebuilder, he said he cant repair it, have to buy a new or second. On Sunday new can't be sourced. So mechanic checked a few more stores and found a good one at 4k. Had no choice so Bought it. Meanwhile the gear oil had come out while opening the Axle, checked it, it was almost as thin as water. It was the fully synthetic petronas oil, i guess mixed with water now. So this time bought a cheaper Castrol oil 1 litre for 250 Rs. Bought 2.5 L. Every thing was fixed and now there is no sound at all while driving. Final cost came to 7.5k.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
almost as thin as water. It was the fully synthetic petronas oil, i guess mixed with water now.
Any water wading you did in Recent rains?
Looks like this toasted your axle. Axles have breather holes/Tubes (Known as Diff breathers) which can suck in water when wading. Especially when Diffs are hot when running and you suddenly enter water, the sudden cool-down sucks in water.

I check Diff/ T-case oils in my 4x4 at every service personally.
Also if your breather lines are cut you my want to repair them and move them to a higher location if possible.

Thread Starter #33
Its a problem every year, Kurla gets filled with water every year. I should drain all oils after every rainy season. Every rainy season the car has to go throug 1 ft or more of water. The Engine air filter was moist when i replaced it few days back. The cabin filter was moist and had mould happily growing on it. Mechanic used to check all oils, but only superficially. I guess water has been mixing for past 3 years. The Mechanic told failure was due to water in oil only.
I will be more careful from now.
Oil costs 750Rs, will just keep changing after every rainy season.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Every rainy season the car has to go throug 1 ft or more of water. The Engine air filter was moist when i replaced it few days back.
1 feet water. Thats SUV class!
You should certainly look at a burly 4x4 the next time you purchase a car. Mumbai Becomes "Tumbai" with lots of offroading, Potholes and what not in the monsoons.
Moist Air filter means you are living very dangerously and there is a good chance of Engine Hydrolock if water rises a few inches more.

Thread Starter #35
Next car is too far, I dont see a promotion or salary raise in near future. [frustration]
I am planning to add 1 inch spacers in front.
Back already has spacers to account for CNG tank, but back side is a bit higher than usual. 1 inch in front will neutralise this. It will also give a bit more security from rain water.
Since rainy season is gone now, i am planning for some body work.
I have crashed into a divider, a bus has hit from side, went over a huge boulder which was stuck between bumper and front tyre, bikers have hit back bumper lot many times. A wagon R opened his door when i was passing (left mirror was replaced).
Only major damage is broken front bumper. Rest is only scratches, one dent on right back door. Back bumper also scratched.
Front bumper has to be Replaced or properly rebuilt. I keep checking with body shops i find around. Its a 10k to 15k job.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #37
I ran into 2 more issues.
1. Back side window sometimes stopped responding. Few days back by while trying to open driver side window, by mistake hit the switch for back side window, it opened. And stopped working when trying to close. Parked the car in office parking area. Tried a few times more, dint work. Got out of the car, kicked the door, then tried.... the window closed. Taped ( Transperent selotape) both the switches for opening that window so that no one opens it by mistake.
Yesterday it was Ghandhi jayanti, was a holiday, took it to a Mechanic. Window was was working half the time (one of 2 times). We decided to Open the door panel. It was a mess in there, was never opened for past 10 years. The body frame was not rusted, but there is a nice big rod in there for support which was rusting (all 4 doors). So the Mechanic told me he will make a concoction of old engine oil and grease and run it down all rusting stuff, mechanical and electric stuff, i agreed, also asked him to do it for all 4 doors. He asked for 800 Rs, I agreed. While he was doing it, i was standing with a can of Sheeba liquid grease, and WD40 ( for electric switches). I sprayed them where i thought they were necessary, (also many times where not necessary). After closing, ran some Liquid grease on sides of windows.
It worked fine, all windows now work smoothly, operating noise is reduced, i guess there is no friction left any where to make noise. The Oil and grease mixture will be dripping down for a few days, 1.5 litres of it was put in there! I guess I wont have to look at the doors for few more years. (Right door speaker had stopped working, removed it for repairing, if you guys know any one who recones the speaker in mumbai , plz suggest).

2. When i turn to left, i get a Click sound suddenly. Only happens when the stearing system has to really work against the road grip for turning. While car is running the tyres have lot of time to move no noise while moving and turning. While turnig left from a stop the sound is very clear. Its like hitting a metal with metal but the metal is surrounded by rubber hence the sound gets dampned.
Yesterday showed it to mechanic. He said it will cost atleast 2.5k. I asked him if i dont do it, will the car stop working. He said, no its not that big of an issue. I thanked him and went home. I dont want to spend a lot on the car right now. Need advice from you guys on this issue.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #38
Just to update, still using the car, and its good. no major issues. All windows still are working fine, no repairs done to windows. Axel rods had to be repaired, suspension parts were replaced. 25K total cost till now since last post. Had to replace bushings also.
If it was a Skoda Superb, I guess I would not be typing here, I would be with god monitoring you all due to a heart attack.

Last edited:

Top Bottom