Toyota Altis & Innova Now Available in CNG

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Toyota plans to launch the Corolla Altis CNG next month just in time for Diwali sales. After the Innova CNG, the Corolla Altis is the next Toyota vehicle to come factory fitted with a CNG kit. Currently, the only other car in the Corollas segment to have an alternate fuel option is the Chevrolet Optra CNG, since now the Cedia LPG has been discontinued.

The Corolla Altis CNG is currently undergoing final endurance testing and will most probably have a slightly modified suspension setup at the rear, since it will have to carry an additional dead weight of 70kgt (he CNG tank,) with the weight going up to a total of 80kg once the 14kg (gas capacity) tank is filled.

We are told that the Altis CNG will feature a modern Sequential Injection system, along with its own ECU, to deliver economy without sacrificing on performance and driveability. This modern Sequential Injection system allows for the CNG to be injected at a pressure of 2.0bar, as compared to the other cars that use a Venturi – mixer system that deliver a maximum pressure of only 0.8 bar. Economy trials have proved the car to be quite efficient with figures hovering around the 20km per kg of CNG, without sacrificing power output – which is a known issue with most CNG conversions. Let’s hope the Altis CNG sales give Toyota Kirloskar Motor an additional reason to light up the fireworks this Diwali.

Source: Carwale

Nice move by Toyota. I guess it will help them shoot up their sales more than a bit.

Irrespective of the "Sequential Injection" i still think the car wont perform & match the level to that of the normal petrol ones.But who cares on slight power down when you get good efficiency.There are not many petrol pump's here in pune which offer CNG.People have to wait in long queue to get their tanks filled up,this is one of the major drawbacks which make people prefer diesel over CNG.

But why only CNG versions ??

Almost all manufacures are coming with CNG! but where is CNG available, i think its only in Delhi & Greater Noida & very few other places :(

But why only CNG versions ??

Almost all manufacures are coming with CNG! but where is CNG available, i think its only in Delhi & Greater Noida & very few other places :(
I agree on that. LPG would have been more welcome. It is almost available everywhere in the country.

I never saw a CNG station in Kerala for sure! It is said that central govt. have approved CNG stations all over India. But no idea who gonna start these stations. One of the local news paper wrote last year that CNG stations will come soon and Cochin (in Kerala) will be first place to have one in Kerala. I think unless and until sufficient number of refueling felicity is not available, these products are not going to be a success.

Nowadays I do see a lot of Toyota Altises on the road. This proves of its good quality and VFM package. CNG will make this car even more affordable to run.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
The CNG is definitely a good & cheap alternative to petrol.
But we should expect price rise by Rs.50k.In Delhi & NCR, Buyers will not need to worry about CNG stations as we have quite a lot here because most of the public transport (Autos, DTC Buses etc)run on CNG.
I have around 3 CNG Stations near my house!
I think it should not be a problem in Bangalore too, Or is it?

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
Finally, Toyota has introduced CNG variants of Altis and Innova but it is available only in Delhi-NCR and Mumbai.
Toyota has launched CNG variants of its popular MPV Innova and Corolla Altis saloon. Showcased at the recently held Toyota ‘Q World programme’ in Mumbai, the two models will sport CNG kits fitted at the dealership level.
The Innova CNG will come equipped with the 4 cylinder 16 valve DOHC, 2.0-litre petrol engine producing 132bhp and 18.5 kgm of torque, coupled to the identical 5-speed manual gearbox seen on the existing model. Along with the regular 55-litre fuel tank, it’s fitted with an authorized 12kg CNG cylinder tank housed at the back of the 3rd row seats, taking up most of the boot space.
The Corolla Altis CNG drives through the similar 5-speed manual VVT-i 4cylinder 16-valve 1.8-litre petrol engine with a power output of 132 bhp and 17.3kgm of torque. The 12kg CNG cylinder in addition to the 55-litre fuel tank is fitted in the boot that takes up about ¼ of the 475litre boot, leaving close to 300litre of usable boot space.
There are no changes to the exteriors to differentiate the CNG variants from the petrol variants. Toyota promises both the vehicles will now have lower emissions and offer better fuel efficiency.
Currently available only in Mumbai and Delhi-NCR, the CNG vehicles will cost Rs 85,000 over their respective petrol counterparts. The Corolla Altis CNG and Innova CNG are on sale now.
Source: Autocar India.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Okay just one doubt , Is the Innova available in petrol also??[shock] I never knew it till now!![frustration]

Usually they fit CNG to the cars which do not move well in the market and try to boost the sales! Why the Altis and Innova?? They are still doing pretty well in the market right!!

You can also take it other way dhaya!

Its not always as maruti's prediction to put CNG in a dead car.

Toyota introduced these models to boost the sales & for particular segment of ordiance who prefer CNG. especially in northern regions.

I think the intent is to target the luxury taxi segment, especially the intra-city usage.
Makes sense for those guys to sacrifice a bit of power and boot space.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
Okay just one doubt , Is the Innova available in petrol also?? I never knew it till now!!
Yes, Three variants of Innova are available with a 2 Liter Petrol Engine.

Usually they fit CNG to the cars which do not move well in the market and try to boost the sales! Why the Altis and Innova?? They are still doing pretty well in the market right!!
Not necessarily every time the case is same. Putting the CNG punch in a good seller points towards making it more affordable and Yeah, It’ll now become much more dearer to taxi operators, Especially the Innova.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
Oh yes okay! But if fitted from the outside does it cost 85k?? I don know the pricing outside just a doubt!
I think it costs around Rs.50k but what you get in company fitted is warranty and reliability.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey guys just a small doubt sorry for OT mods!

As this thread is going about Innova i will ask here itself and not create separate thread!

How is the Petrol and diesel Innova badged?? And also how to distinguish the variants seeing the badges like LXI , VXI etc??

Last edited:

Top Bottom