Toy Car: Tata Tiago XZA [Done 7,500 Kms]

Re: Toy Car: Tata Tiago XZA [Done 6,800 Kms]

Hi Sachin ,
Congrats on your Tiago .
Most crucial question for Indians - Kitna Deti Hai ?

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #17

Hi Sachin ,
Congrats on your Tiago .
Most crucial question for Indians - Kitna Deti Hai ?

Cheers,
Anshuman
Thanks, and LOL!
Though I had made up my mind for not expecting anything great from this car in terms of FE as it is pretty heavy for its size, I checked the FE with brim-to-brim method few times.
In city with AC, I never seen it giving anything over 13-14KMPL.
During its few high-speed runs on open national highways (not expressways), it gave around 16. But I personally think it's good enough for the weight it carries and I have a heavy right foot.

In city with AC, I never seen it giving anything over 13-14KMPL.
During its few high-speed runs on open national highways (not expressways), it gave around 16. But I personally think it's good enough for the weight it carries and I have a heavy right foot.
That is pretty good I think even Celerio AMT figures would also be similar

Thread Starter #19

Update: 3rd Service @ 7500 KMs

Since I was not satisfied with overall performance of car after getting it serviced/repaired 7 times in less than a year at Concorde Mathura Road, New Delhi (purchased car from them); I switched to Sagar Motors, Sector-5, Noida.

Although they too avoided many of my queries, the overwork done on car seems to be slightly better than my earlier experiences.

They couldn't reply to my following queries:
1. Jerks while driving at a constant pace on smooth road
2. Turbo-lag kinda no-response from throttle between 1500-2200 RPMs when car gathering momentum in 2nd gear
3. Almost no-cooling in glovebox
4. Stereo gives loud "KHAT" noise when switched-off in One-Hour Mode (i.e., when engine is completely off. Key is out!)
5. Reverse Sensors get auto-activated while car in front motion
6. Stereo restarts when it is not being used, and only clock and date are appearing on it.

For all stereo related queries they tried to push me towards contacting Harman on my own. When I confronted they agreed to call Harman guy at their workshop in next week!

7. As per them, none of Tata Workshop has a Tyre Changing machine. I asked them to rotate my car's tyres including the spare one which is on a steel rim. They said not possible and rotated tyres without including spare one.

Conclusion:
I'd say I had a li'l apprehension of such experiences before picking up a Tata product. [:)]
So, a not-so-good experience so far with Tata Tiago XZA and their A.S.S. as well.

Thread Starter #20
And the so-called best OEM car stereo in its category, went dead today!
Calling the Service Station to fix an appointment for tomorrow.
Refer #6 above ...

Thread Starter #21
*Dead Stereo Update*
After getting on their head for a while they sent an in-house technician.
All he did was disconnecting the negative terminal of battery for a second and everything is back to normal! [anger]

Initially, the Service Advisor told me to do this minor job on my own, and I asked a simple thing that which terminal needs to be disconnected first, the positive one or the negative one? He got confused and sent a technician. [surprise]

As per them, sometime the famous Harman Stereo system in Tiago and Tigor gets hanged, as in computers/mobiles. Computers and mobiles can be hard-booted again by pressing some button in a sequence or for some stipulated time. But here in Tiago/Tigor, removing the negative terminal of battery for a second does the trick. I asked about this problem in Zest and Hexa, to which the technician said that this problem is reported only in Tiago and Tigor.

Now the Harman's VIP technicians will visit as per their convenience in next 3-4 days. I will be informed in advance a day before to be present in Service Station as they donot entertain "site-visits", and since they are always short on time I have to be punctual. Wow! [anger]

Last edited:
Now the Harman's VIP technicians will visit as per their convenience in next 3-4 days. I will be informed in advance a day before to be present in Service Station as they donot entertain "site-visits", and since they are always short on time I have to be punctual. Wow!
Been there, done that! Those VIPs are just dumb folks (from 2 of my experiences) who will try to patch your Harman with latest stable or beta version firmware. In most cities, they are outsourced parties who will be on the phone with the real Harman guys for 99% of the time. [lol]

*Dead Stereo Update*
After getting on their head for a while they sent an in-house technician.
All he did was disconnecting the negative terminal of battery for a second and everything is back to normal! [anger]

Initially, the Service Advisor told me to do this minor job on my own, and I asked a simple thing that which terminal needs to be disconnected first, the positive one or the negative one? He got confused and sent a technician. [surprise]

As per them, sometime the famous Harman Stereo system in Tiago and Tigor gets hanged, as in computers/mobiles. Computers and mobiles can be hard-booted again by pressing some button in a sequence or for some stipulated time. But here in Tiago/Tigor, removing the negative terminal of battery for a second does the trick. I asked about this problem in Zest and Hexa, to which the technician said that this problem is reported only in Tiago and Tigor.

Now the Harman's VIP technicians will visit as per their convenience in next 3-4 days. I will be informed in advance a day before to be present in Service Station as they donot entertain "site-visits", and since they are always short on time I have to be punctual. Wow! [anger]
So far so good, I was going to suggest you this, when you brought up the issue, it happened in my Nano XTA, the technician just unplugged the HU and every thing was normal.

Do reset the clock, if not already done, as that would have gone back to 12.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #24
So far so good, I was going to suggest you this, when you brought up the issue, it happened in my Nano XTA, the technician just unplugged the HU and every thing was normal.

Do reset the clock, if not already done, as that would have gone back to 12.

Regards
Vinod
Although I was aware of such a possibility that this might sort it out. I read somewhere on internet about such tricks. Some cars go into a state called "Limp Mode" where the speed will not go beyond certain level, probably pretty low-speed to assist you in limping back to home/garage. Switching off and locking car for few minutes does the trick in those cases. Similar was mine.

And, to my utter surprise each and every setting on stereo remained same. Nothing got changed. Clock, radio presets, volume/equalizer, etc. all kept their settings intact.

The only thing changed is that the average Fuel Consumption figures got reset to zero on MID. The KMs in both tripmeters remain same, but the FE went to 0.0 and I am now considering it as a trick to dupe people by showing an unreal FE of 22KMPL for next few KMs while the car has already done over 150 KMs from the brimful tank. [evil]

Youtubers must be doing this trick, else can start doing it now. [:D]

*FE Update after 3rd service @ 7500 KMs*
Since I was getting wrong FE figures after getting the HU rebooted by disconnecting battery (negative) terminal for a second, I topped up the tank to brim again before going on a longish city trip.
I chose to drive it very very sedately in Manual mode (no-AC) by upshifting early and not going over 50-55kmph in city traffic. Tried to maintain my momentum in 4th and 5th gears. Engine was dancing lazily at around 1500-1700 RPMs.
Initially MID was giving incorrect FE figures for first 8-10 KMs as it was varying between 22-24KMPL, after which it got stabilised between 19-20KMPL for rest of the drive.
This morning while coming to office on secluded roads, I drove in same manner but with AC, and FE went down to 18.5+ KMPL. Seems interesting! [glasses]

Attachments

Thread Starter #25
Today my XZA got the supposedly latest software update for the Harman HU.

It's R2.00_PV_30012018
Last update release/development date: Jan 30 2018.

Guys from Harman were regular technicians. They could not revert to all my queries.

He himself updated the ECU also. I asked about the old and new versions and he could not give any reply.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26
Headlamp bulbs are now changed to Osram Night Breaker Laser 60/55w ones.

Low beam Lumens have increased considerably. Low beam Kelvin seems to be similar.

High beam Lumens are almost same as earlier, but Kelvin have increased considerably. High beam is slightly bluish now.

With recent rains in Delhi and around, low beam worked brilliantly but the high beam as expected performed very badly due to high Kelvin i.e., bluish color.

I had used these earlier in WagonR, so am aware of the low life of filament and poor high beam quality. I have a spare Philips Xtreme Vision with me, and was using that in my right side headlight for last 15 days. The overall difference is negligible, and like earlier it got proved again that ONBs are very good in low beams but have a shorter life time with poor high beam quality. Whereas, PXVs are same in low beam as standard halogens from Osram/Philips; but quite better in high beam than ONBs and standard halogens. Plus, these PXVs are having a very long life in comparison to ONBs. Although not as long as standard OEM halogens, which are immortal!

Conclusion:
No need to replace from OEM halogens until you are ready to sacrifice your peace of mind. If you really want brighter lights to assist you in night driving, either go with PXVs or upgrade your bulb wattage to 100/90w with proper relay and wiring upgrade thrown in.

I'll be soon posting a video of ONB Lasers in action. Stay tuned. [:)]

Headlamp bulbs are now changed to Osram Night Breaker Laser 60/55w ones.

Low beam Lumens have increased considerably. Low beam Kelvin seems to be similar.

High beam Lumens are almost same as earlier, but Kelvin have increased considerably. High beam is slightly bluish now.

With recent rains in Delhi and around, low beam worked brilliantly but the high beam as expected performed very badly due to high Kelvin i.e., bluish color.

I had used these earlier in WagonR, so am aware of the low life of filament and poor high beam quality. I have a spare Philips Xtreme Vision with me, and was using that in my right side headlight for last 15 days. The overall difference is negligible, and like earlier it got proved again that ONBs are very good in low beams but have a shorter life time with poor high beam quality. Whereas, PXVs are same in low beam as standard halogens from Osram/Philips; but quite better in high beam than ONBs and standard halogens. Plus, these PXVs are having a very long life in comparison to ONBs. Although not as long as standard OEM halogens, which are immortal!

Conclusion:
No need to replace from OEM halogens until you are ready to sacrifice your peace of mind. If you really want brighter lights to assist you in night driving, either go with PXVs or upgrade your bulb wattage to 100/90w with proper relay and wiring upgrade thrown in.

I'll be soon posting a video of ONB Lasers in action. Stay tuned. [:)]
Hey Sachin.
Even i have got the bulbs changed Osram Night Breaker - Laser.
The light throw is good on marked highways.
But not that effective in unmarked highways.
But tad better in rains. Atleast i can see that light is ON, on a highway.

Thread Starter #28
Toycar completed its first year yesterday.
Clocked only 7900KMs. Pretty less by my assumptions. Good that we opted for a petrol car.
Everything is bone stock even today, apart from a parallel replacement of headlight bulbs to Osram Night Breaker Laser 60/55w. No accessories, no changes, nothing.

Car is okay, but nothing like a Maruti/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota. Neither the car, nor the service.

It'll soon embark on its maiden long highway journey of about 1500KMs to&fro. Keeping my fingers crossed. [:)]

Thread Starter #29
Bad luck.

During Sunday evening's severe duststorm in Noida, a tree fell down on ToyCar damaging it considerably on its body shell. No impact on engine, suspension, electricals or else.

Going for claiming the insurance obviously. Being a zero-dep one, nothing major to be paid by me. It'll be back in about 20-25 days hopefully.

tmp-cam-664771319.jpg

The left most branch crashed on bonnet. The middle one crashed on A-Pillar. The right one crashed on Side Body Panel between roof and front left door. After the initial hit, it slided down immediately. Fortunately, the left ORVM was not damaged at all.

And the most heartbreaking thing is, it fell down in front of our eyes when we were enjoying the cool breeze in our balcony.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom