Top Tips for City Driving

Thanks for your advice. I am taught at school to apply gear in the following manner--0-10km-1st,11-20km-2nd,21-30km-3rd,31-40km-4th,40km above-5th. The problem is at low speed ( 10-20 km) whenever I remove my foot from accelerator speed goes down.
Whatever speed are you in, that is not the concern, the car will continue to roll with the inertia of the speed for sometime.During that time you need to change the gear when the car is rolling without accelerator. Don't worry about the speed.But after changing gear do not take more time to accelerate .

Whatever speed are you in, that is not the concern, the car will continue to roll with the inertia of the speed for sometime.During that time you need to change the gear when the car is rolling without accelerator. Don't worry about the speed.But after changing gear do not take more time to accelerate .
Thanks for your advice.I will follow it. Can you give some advice, how to judge the space on left side of the vehicle. I only assume that left wheel is below the left boarder of wind screen.

When I used to drive in Dubai, We had to maintain such distance from the front car (while waiting at Red lights) that you should be able to see tyres of the car in front of you.

Helps in 2 ways

1 - Keep Safe distance

2 - You can change lane easily if the car in front of you stalls for some reason.

When I used to drive in Dubai, We had to maintain such distance from the front car (while waiting at Red lights) that you should be able to see tyres of the car in front of you.

Helps in 2 ways

1 - Keep Safe distance

2 - You can change lane easily if the car in front of you stalls for some reason.
Very good practice, I have seen this in other countries too.
But never tried in India. If done, some moron 2W/3W/Cab will try to squeeze into the gap scratching the body/bumpers on the way.

Thanks for your advice. I am taught at school to apply gear in the following manner--0-10km-1st,11-20km-2nd,21-30km-3rd,31-40km-4th,40km above-5th. The problem is at low speed ( 10-20 km) whenever I remove my foot from accelerator speed goes down.
It depends upon car you have and its gear ratio.typically 1st gear is short,2nd gear you can pull upto 40kmph,no issues with it.Just ensure that you switch to upper gear at at 2500 and above rpm.

"And about accelerator speed goes down"
when you depress accelerator,speed will be reduced if you dont switch to higher gear in time.And it happens in all cars.[:D]

Thanks for your advice.I will follow it. Can you give some advice, how to judge the space on left side of the vehicle. I only assume that left wheel is below the left boarder of wind screen.
If you can see your bonnet, then it is easy to detect how much space is on left. But if you can not see the bonnet, then this is purely depend on your judgmental. With driving the car, slowing you will learn the space measurement.

If you can see your bonnet, then it is easy to detect how much space is on left. But if you can not see the bonnet, then this is purely depend on your judgmental. With driving the car, slowing you will learn the space measurement.
I have to purchase a cushion / pillow to see the bonnet. My car's seat is not hight adjustable. Too much hight will disturb clutch / brake control.[confused]

I have to purchase a cushion / pillow to see the bonnet. My car's seat is not hight adjustable. Too much hight will disturb clutch / brake control.[confused]
Absolutely no need to purchase any pillow etc. Rather it is very dangerous, Just use your judgment,soon you will master the space calculation.

Majority of modern day cars does not have bonnet/nose visible from driver seat, even for tall drivers. So you have to judge the distance. But always better to keep safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

Absolutely no need to purchase any pillow etc. Rather it is very dangerous, Just use your judgment,soon you will master the space calculation.
I am facing some problem with my brake. Whenever I apply it becomes too hard,that car stops with a jerk (engine running). Otherwise (when applied too lightly ) I do not feel the breaking effect. Also it seems to me, my car's break is a bit hard compared to the training car (Ritz). Shall I inform the matter during next servicing. But professional drivers did not complain about stiffness of brake. Training school advised me to pump the break a few times before running the vehicle. But I am sure it is not so smooth as driving school vehicles. My car ran 3000 km. [embarass]

Last edited:
I am facing some problem with my brake. Whenever I apply it becomes too hard,that car stops with a jerk (engine running). Otherwise (when applied too lightly ) I do not feel the breaking effect. Also it seems to me, my car's break is a bit hard compared to the training car (Ritz). Shall I inform the matter during next servicing. But professional drivers did not complain about stiffness of brake. Training school advised me to pump the break a few times before running the vehicle. But I am sure it is not so smooth as driving school vehicles. My car ran 3000 km. [embarass]
I think this is happening because you are not applying the clause correctly when car slowing down. Apply the break ,if car is too slow to move then apply clause or else car will stop with a jerk.
Regarding break hard I am not sure what you are trying to explain, you can get it check with service center.

I think this is happening because you are not applying the clause correctly when car slowing down. Apply the break ,if car is too slow to move then apply clause or else car will stop with a jerk.
Regarding break hard I am not sure what you are trying to explain, you can get it check with service center.
Hard break means my press is too high so break shoes apply hard on running wheels. I have not yet mastered the right press. Further I feel the break is a bit stiff. I will take up the matter with service center.

Majority of modern day cars does not have bonnet/nose visible from driver seat, even for tall drivers. So you have to judge the distance. But always better to keep safe distance from the vehicle ahead.
If I intend to slow down say from a speed 30 Km/hr to 10 km/hr shall I apply clutch(full press) & break simultaneously or only break?

If I intend to slow down say from a speed 30 Km/hr to 10 km/hr shall I apply clutch(full press) & break simultaneously or only break?
If I am not wrong, that would depend upon your further intention post application of breaks. If you intend to speed up from 10km/hr to higher rate (typical case in urban traffic) then you should apply full clutch and then break as this will allow you to accelerate in the same gear and hence in lesser time.

On the other hand if this application is for a permanent need, it's always better to slow down the car, shift the required gear and then apply breaks. I believe this should take care of mileage as too much application of clutch reduces mileage.

Please correct if I am wrong

Top Bottom