To buy Alto Std. Need your feedbacks.

Thread Starter #1
I'm going home this winter and planning to buy Alto Std for my dad who has never driven a car before in Imphal, Manipur and its available for Rs 2.65 lakhs. The LXi model is about 3.35 lakhs! both are on-road prices. Santro Xing (Non AC) is available for 3.1 lakhs.

I dont wanna be paying approximately Rs 60,000 (alto lxi) just for power steering. nobody uses AC there in their cars. is this justified? my dad who drives only two wheelers till date is gonna learn and drive this vehicle.

would power steering make such a difference? its a valley (plain area) unlike other north-eastern cities. I have never driven a Non-PS car and so i don't know how its like.

PS would just make the car simpler to drive.

I would ask you to buy the Santro. A much nicer car & worth the price difference. Its extremely reliable too.

since your dad is still new to driving, why not plan out and get a used car initially till he is used to driving?? you can at a later stage think of getting a new car say after an year.

350Z

Core Team
Hello Suman, I would also advice you to initially go with a second hand car at half of this price. Once your dad gains enough confidence and gets totally used to driving, you can purchase a brand new car, maybe after a year or two, and that too with, perhaps, an extended budget. However, if you have already settled down to buy a new car, then it really won’t make an overall big difference with LXi whatsoever, if you can manage without an air conditioner and slightly better convenience to use the steering while making quick turns.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The Alto standard is a pain in the city. The steering is harder to turn than other cars without power steering like the 800, the old Zen, the Esteem. But if you dont need an Air conditioner, Then the money you shell out as extra for the LXi will be a bit too much. You yourself need to decide about this.

And I drive both the versions alternatively almost every week and the difference is not that small.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
thanx guys for the replies..

I'm not considering second hand cars since there's been lot of cases with regards to stolen vehicles with fake papers and other reasons.

@Jalex: do u mean to say alto std and lxi? i don't get your last statement "..the difference is not that small"

are you saying there's not much of a difference or there's a huge difference between std and lxi?

thanx guys for the replies..

@Jalex: do u mean to say alto std and lxi? i don't get your last statement "..the difference is not that small"

are you saying there's not much of a difference or there's a huge difference between std and lxi?
Yes I was reffering to the Alto Standard(Base model) and the LXi obviously since the LX does not have a power steering and is out of the question here.

And the difference is not small means there is a big difference and that you will notice it when it comes to steering effort. The Alto standard is a little hard to steer in and out of tight spots. You really need to wrestle a bit with the steering if you want to turn the steering standing still. The LXi is a cake walk in this regard.

agree with alex. i own an alto std. the steering is hard and won't suit people who are aged. my dad too feels difficulty in steering the car. but i kinda enjoy the hard steering too. gives me a lot of physical exercise you see. :-)
another major point that you need to consider is the fact that you drive in a valley area. so the use of the steering will be more. i would overall suggest you to get the alto LXi since you won't get a car without a/c and with p/s.

I too would suggest to for an Alto Lxi if budget is not a constraint for you. PS can be really useful at some places.

But why not Santro? Since its for your dad i feel getting in and out of a Santro will be much easier compared to Alto. Santro too is a good and reliable car but it may get discontinued!

Thread Starter #12
my budget is max at 3 lakhs. santro with power steering exceeds Rs 3.8 lakhs. Non AC version is available but without power steering, i guess i should opt for alto std instead.

i just spoke to a dealer in imphal and he said, i could get a discount of Rs 15k which means i can get alto lxi for about Rs 3.1 lakhs. i think i'll stick to LXi then.

Thank you so much guys. really appreciate your inputs.

That's a wise decision. What color have you decided?

Hoping to see your ownership report soon and your active participation in the forum.

Alto std is a superb car and since you dont need A/C in your place just go for it. And the prices mentioned by you is very huge. I inquired abt Alto last week in chennai. The On Road price is as below:

Alto Std 2,44,000
Alto LX 2,78,000
Alto LXI 2,90,000

Suzuki dealers are giving huge discounts on normal Alto. Moreover just wait for another 15-20 days and book the car. Normally during the months of DEC all car companies will be providing huge discounts on their vehicles since after Jan the govt rule is tht 2011 model must be in market so they will clear their stocks by Jan.

Top Bottom