Tire Upsize Guide

185/70 r14 suits my requirements
I knew it before
and one more doubt
zdi tyre size 185/65 r15 and vdi 165 tyres which varient is tested for the ARAi figures
if it is with zdi so then can I get the same FE as with my 165 tyres
and is that speedometer error related to ECU ?
does vdi and zdi have different settings for speedometer according to their stock tyre size???
For only comfort, 165/80R14 would be the best size as the sidewall height will be more and tyre can get more room to absorb road undulations. 185/70R14 would be very slightly less comfortable but good on performance, though comfort depends on tyre brand and Michelin XM2s are really comfortable and silent. I am using 185 section XM2 in my Swift for the last 5k kms.

Regarding your doubt, first of all I thought ZDI tyre size was 185/70R15, please confirm. I think ARAI figures are almost the same for different variants as usually the tyre size difference is very less. If the ARAI figures are different, the manufacturer would have mentioned about this in the spec sheet in the brochure. Don't worry about this, your mileage will not be affected much.

No. Speedo and odo error is related to difference in tyre diameter. A bigger diameter tyre will cover a greater distance in one rotation and that is the cause of errors.

All variants have the same speedometer and odometer hardware. Since the difference in tyre diameter (overall) between VDI and ZDI is negligible, errors are very minimal and often not there at all.

For only comfort, 165/80R14 would be the best size as the sidewall height will be more and tyre can get more room to absorb road undulations. 185/70R14 would be very slightly less comfortable but good on performance, though comfort depends on tyre brand and Michelin XM2s are really comfortable and silent. I am using 185 section XM2 in my Swift for the last 5k kms.

Regarding your doubt, first of all I thought ZDI tyre size was 185/70R15, please confirm. I think ARAI figures are almost the same for different variants as usually the tyre size difference is very less. If the ARAI figures are different, the manufacturer would have mentioned about this in the spec sheet in the brochure. Don't worry about this, your mileage will not be affected much.

No. Speedo and odo error is related to difference in tyre diameter. A bigger diameter tyre will cover a greater distance in one rotation and that is the cause of errors.

All variants have the same speedometer and odometer hardware. Since the difference in tyre diameter (overall) between VDI and ZDI is negligible, errors are very minimal and often not there at all.
thank you sir for your response
so if I simply replace my vdi tyres with alloys comes with zdi
I do not loose any warranty on suspension and other related stuff ,ryt
and Zdi tyre is 185/65 r15

Last edited:
thank you sir for your response
so if I simply replace my vdi tyres with alloys comes with zdi
I do not loose any warranty on suspension and other related stuff ,ryt
and Zdi tyre is 185/65 r15
Yes it is 185/65, sorry I got confused. You will not loose any warranty if you go for OEM alloys with OEM spec tyres. You can get a good deal on alloys if you contact some alloy wheel dealers, usually people who upgrade alloys on ZXI/ZDI give their alloys in exchange to these dealers and you will also get better price than MGP.

Hi Experts,

I have a Swift Dzire VXi covered 15000 KMs. As per my recent driving experience on hills (Recently did Yamunotri and Gangotri trips [drive]) the stock 165 mm section JK tires are not adequate for highway/hill driving due to poor grip and braking.

So I am thinking of replacing those with new set of tires, may be with those coming on ZXi variants so that I do not loose warranty(extended to 4 years).

Can someone suggest good alternatives for the same with reasonable pricing as well.
Will I get anything for my old tires, and also I want to use my stock spare tire(still new without any punctures) [clap] so that I have to buy only 4 tires instead of 5.

Last edited:
i have Stock Rim and Tyre of Goodyear size is 165/65 R14.Right now.[surprise]
Wow that's really cool, which car? Still running on goodyears? nice.
Haven't heard anything great about Goodyear, mostly negative things. But nice to see someone else think otherwise. [:)]
I got my stock rims too when the time comes to sell the car as stock. lol

This is just a brief idea as to what 14 inch alloys can look like on Swift Dzire.

Personally i don't like the looks of the car (No offense Dzire owners). But that's just my personal opinion. Over the years, you can say that Maruti has gone in the right direction when it comes to this car cuz I feel today's Dzire is a lot better than the previous generations. So I can conclude that it'll only get better. (Sorry if I went off topic)

Coming to owners like us, we have the aftermarket market lol so with the right ideas and input I'm sure any car enthusiast can make any car look outstanding. No doubt about that.

Hi Experts,

I have a Swift Dzire VXi covered 15000 KMs. As per my recent driving experience on hills (Recently did Yamunotri and Gangotri trips [drive]) the stock 165 mm section JK tires are not adequate for highway/hill driving due to poor grip and braking.

So I am thinking of replacing those with new set of tires, may be with those coming on ZXi variants so that I do not loose warranty(extended to 4 years).

Can someone suggest good alternatives for the same with reasonable pricing as well.
Will I get anything for my old tires, and also I want to use my stock spare tire(still new without any punctures) [clap] so that I have to buy only 4 tires instead of 5.
Hey chandra

I'm telling you based on the previous posts. I think dzire has stock tyre specs of 165 sections and 185 sections. So the safe bet would be to upsize within that range so that you do not void your warranty.
JK tyres are built for 15k kms - 20k kms i feel. Trade in you might get 2000 rs max. Or else lesser than that.
One more thing, if your spare tyre is 165 and if u go for 185 sections then the spare tyre is scrap. If your selling 4 used tyres + 1 new spare tyre then u might get some more but don't expect a lot.
By the way, what is the budget you are looking for?

Attachments

Hi Experts,

Hello. The stock 165 section tyres do make the car feel undertyred, especially on ghats and highway sections. Do note that your VXI comes with 14" steel rims and the ZXI comes with 15" alloys (185/65 tyre). No doubt it will provide better aesthetics, grip, handling and braking.

You have 2 options -

1. Upgrade to 15" rims and then get ZXI spec tyres. (Warranty intact)

2. Stay with your 14" rims and get 185 section tyre (Warranty void, similar braking and grip as in option 1)

You will get nothing at this stage. The tyres used for 15k km have already gone through 35% of their life and are not fit for further sale. You will get a maximum of Rs. 8k deducted in exchange, however if you can manage without these 8k; keep those tyres at home. It would be useful if ou want warranty claims from Maruti : you can swap these stock tyres and get warranty. It would also be useful if you plan to sell of the car and it needs a tyre replacement. Suppose; you want to sell your car at 80k kms (when your second set of tyres is worn out) you can swap these 165 section tyres and save your 15-20k at that time (you will get better resale also).

Your spare tyre is TOTALLY usable in any case, as the new tyres will have a similar overall diameter. It is perfect as a backup. Get only 4 new tyres.

Guys I have a question:
Why should one go for 185/70 on the 14 inch wheels instead of 195/70 spec tires?

IMO if the wheel is 14 inch in diameter then 195/70 will be more suited as a replacement of 165/80 as compared to 185/70.

BTW is it only me or someone else has also felt that Swift VDi was (before ABS was introduced in it) even more scary than the VXi in the braking department? Maybe it was because of its nose heavy nature or maybe because I was foolish enough to feel so :stupid:

Guys I have a question:
Why should one go for 185/70 on the 14 inch wheels instead of 195/70 spec tires?

IMO if the wheel is 14 inch in diameter then 195/70 will be more suited as a replacement of 165/80 as compared to 185/70.

BTW is it only me or someone else has also felt that Swift VDi was (before ABS was introduced in it) even more scary than the VXi in the braking department? Maybe it was because of its nose heavy nature or maybe because I was foolish enough to feel so :stupid:
Yes you are right, one can go for any of these. 185/70 provides 0.8 % difference while 195/70 provides 1.45 % difference. Personally I went for 185 section XM2s as I was running on stock rims, and thought that steel rims wouldn't be able to take that extra width. I had read somewhere that +2 size (185 from 165) is the limit for stock steel rims. I didn't wanted to end up like those Safaris' in U.P. with offset alloys and tyres looking like this - /__ /__. 185 section gives me the much desirable look - |__| |__| [:)].

Agreed that it was more heavy at the front due to diesel engine, but I didn't find any difference in braking.

^^But won't this usage of net under sized (net effective diameter of 185/70 R14 is lesser than it's 165/80 counterpart) result into even more speedo error. Already we have up to 4-5% of speedo error in Swift and going for 185/70 will easily amplify it to 7-8% maybe; especially if the tire is even moderately under inflated.

This is just a brief idea as to what 14 inch alloys can look like on Swift Dzire.

Personally i don't like the looks of the car (No offense Dzire owners). But that's just my personal opinion. Over the years, you can say that Maruti has gone in the right direction when it comes to this car cuz I feel today's Dzire is a lot better than the previous generations. So I can conclude that it'll only get better. (Sorry if I went off topic)

Coming to owners like us, we have the aftermarket market lol so with the right ideas and input I'm sure any car enthusiast can make any car look outstanding. No doubt about that.
I have Chevy Beat the Diesel Rocket[glasses].i want to Upsize and looking For better Tyres Goodyears tyre are noisy /to mucha sound on cabin even Highway speed about 90-100km. which tyre is best My Requirement are below

1.Large n Slient tyre
2.Good Grips n Capable FOr the Some Village Trips
3.Maintain the Fuel Economy
4.larger tyre width.looks matters.

^^But won't this usage of net under sized (net effective diameter of 185/70 R14 is lesser than it's 165/80 counterpart) result into even more speedo error. Already we have up to 4-5% of speedo error in Swift and going for 185/70 will easily amplify it to 7-8% maybe; especially if the tire is even moderately under inflated.
Agreed. But 195/70 has a greater difference in overall diameter as compared to 165/80. So it will only amplify the speedo error problem. By the way, ZXI (old gen) came with 185/70 on 14" alloys, so it is also an OEM size.

I would like to know why we have 4-5% speedo error already in Swift.

Hi ice_wise, One of my friend has a Swift VDi and had changed his car's tires to 185 mm (those of ZDi) but Maruti ASS guys said that warranty for suspension has been void [surprise] (but other parts warranty is intact), Why so? When it is available in ZDi so why can't it be fitted to VDi as both cars are mechanically same.

I had opted for extended warranty also so afraid of loosing the same.
And I do not want to spend money on alloys.

Any suggestions?

Hi Vipul,

I too agree with poor braking of Swift Dzire, sometimes in emergency braking situations on highways car behaves very abnormally due to poor braking and tire skidding.
I got one very weird suggestion from one of the cab drivers who drives a Dzire Tour in my company. He too agreed with poor braking of the car and suggested to take out the front discs and rub it against the road tarmac to make it rough. This would in turn increase the friction between the pads and disc. He did the same to improve the braking performance of his car as Maruti ASS guys could not help in it.

This problem is not there in ZXi/ZDi variants as they have better brake booster with ABS, Don't understand why Maruti skipped with such essential safety feature on its best selling car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Chevy Beat the Diesel Rocket[glasses].i want to Upsize and looking For better Tyres Goodyears tyre are noisy /to mucha sound on cabin even Highway speed about 90-100km. which tyre is best My Requirement are below

1.Large n Slient tyre
2.Good Grips n Capable FOr the Some Village Trips
3.Maintain the Fuel Economy
4.larger tyre width.looks matters.
I assume you have stock 165/65 R14 tyres [mostly Goodyear.. most car sold in INDIA with those].

I think you should only think of 175/65 R14 as best upgrade for your car. Higher upgrade may touch suspension or car body while turning left or right and sudden bump comes under the wheel.

For 175/65 R14 you will have lot of tyre options in brands and variants. Choose wisely by personal inspection.

Michellin xm2
Yokohama E400 or E100
Bridgestone Turanza or Potenza GIII [if you could find for this size you could be lucky]
Continental C5
Pirelli P1

Hi ice_wise, One of my friend has a Swift VDi and had changed his car's tires to 185 mm (those of ZDi) but Maruti ASS guys said that warranty for suspension has been void [surprise] (but other parts warranty is intact), Why so? When it is available in ZDi so why can't it be fitted to VDi as both cars are mechanically same.

I had opted for extended warranty also so afraid of loosing the same.
And I do not want to spend money on alloys.

Any suggestions?
Not possible. If your friend had gone for exactly same tyres (185/65R15) on OEM alloys, then this isn't possible. They may void the warranty incase the upsize was on 14" rims or if your friend had got aftermarket alloys. Also warranty gets void for only the affected part (suspension here) and not the entire car.

Don't worry. The way I am suggesting you will not void your warranty. If you don't want to spend on alloys, you can do the upgrade on 15" steel rims. They are available for pretty cheap (I saw a deal for around 2k for 4 slightly used 15" rims) and will solve your purpose. You can get any car's steel stock rims after matching the PCD value and rim width. Get 185/65R15 tyres on the steel rims and you are good to go. Your suspension doesn't suffer as you have ZXI spec equipment. The guys at Maruti might say that warranty is void (because of steel rims) but fret not, as and when you want a warranty claim, simply swap with your current wheels (165 section 14"). When you are selling your car (and suppose 15" tyres need replacement) you can use the 165 section 14", get a better resale value and also save another 15k.

Note that steel rims would be available at your wheel/tyre dealer. People who come in for alloy swaps just after delivery give away these rims to the dealer, and it would be great if you can find such rims instead of used ones.

Hi Vipul,

I too agree with poor braking of Swift Dzire, sometimes in emergency braking situations on highways car behaves very abnormally due to poor braking and tire skidding.
I got one very weird suggestion from one of the cab drivers who drives a Dzire Tour in my company. He too agreed with poor braking of the car and suggested to take out the front discs and rub it against the road tarmac to make it rough. This would in turn increase the friction between the pads and disc. He did the same to improve the braking performance of his car as Maruti ASS guys could not help in it.

This problem is not there in ZXi/ZDi variants as they have better brake booster with ABS, Don't understand why Maruti skipped with such essential safety feature on its best selling car.
It might work, as it will improve the braking by causing additional friction against the brittle disc. But it isn't recommended to experiment with such an important part of the car. It is better to get better braking equipment instead (pads, disks). If it was so easy, Maruti would've done it already. How much would have been saved by NOT rubbing the discs on tarmac! Lol.

Last edited:

Top Bottom